"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

itk, a falafel is a sammich made up of balls of spiced ground chickpeas that are deep fried, then put in a pita with lettuce, tomato, maybe a little green pepper, onions, and tahini sauce. they're very tasty (i'm getting tired of saying deelish and sooo good). i like 'em with a good shot of hot sauce on top...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Hummus

Wonderful buckytom. You really make me laugh. I look forward to your responses. It sounds great. You guys are so smart. Thanks

Old 10-28-2004, 09:42 AM   #13
Head Chef

InTheKitchen O.K. a more elaborate explanation which hopefully will be if nothing informational :-)

Hummus is like a mayonnaise or spread - It's just an exotic version made with chickpeas, tahini (which is sesame seed paste) and the ingredients I mentioned in my recipe.

Falafel: Are like little fried balls (similar to hushpuppies) that are used to stuff the pita sandwich.

I have brought Falafel from middleeastern stores and it's basically ground beans. I believe they are either black or moong beans and you dry ground them into a powder. You then take the powder amount to your liking, place it in a bowl, add spices and seasonings and then fry them. The batter should not be thin and runny but should be nice and thick so it can form the stiff balls.

In a pinch you can use hushpuppy batter if you live in the South. If you have access to a middleeastern store you can buy the powder readymade as a package and follow instructions. If you have an Indian store closeby you can buy moongbeans and then dry grind them and use them.

It is a full meal. When I make it I serve it with either a fruit salad (because my kids are fruitoholics and I can never have enough stocked at home) and another side salad such as tabbouleh which is a cracked wheat salad made with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, lemon juice and lots of parsley.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I buy falafel mix from my Whole Foods market. You should be able to find it in health food, middle eastern, and upscale food shops.

I actually tried making them from scratch once and it was a disaster (all my fault though as I improvise the recipe). I filled my apt with so much smoke that I couldn't see anything for about an hour. Here is a picture of my apt after an hour with all the windows and doors open.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #15
Head Chef

Hi GB that is funny and amidst all the smoke and confusion you had time to get your handy camera out and snap a picture :-).
Old 10-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm guessing gb looks like a japanese tourist in the heart of midtown most of the time.... :D

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

LOL if it wasn't for my backpack camera bag then I sure would look like that buckytom :)
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Hummus

You people must sure know each other pretty good. Sounds like my brothers and me. As long as you consider the source, it causes no hard feelings. Yakuta, you sound like you really have healthy family the description of your meals. So great to raise your kids on something other than McDonalds. I have eaten there so seldom but when I do I am not hungry until next day. Must have some kind of filler in the sandwich. I don't like how quickly everything gets served. The best meals I prepare take long. I try to do things as sanitary as possible. (If I could, I would even throw Clorox in the pot when I prepare meal. Clorox seems to get the grease off anything! I don't think a person can be too clean when eating food. That is why I was instilled at young age to wash my hands whenever I came in the house. Even if I was at church. I thank you all for your time and your humorous comments. I need more of that. Thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #19
Head Chef

Hi InTheKitchen I am not sure how my kids turned out the way they did. I don't take the credit but give it to my husband. He is a meat and potatoes kind of a guy but does love fruit.

My older son will pick fruit over any other dessert that is presented to him. People think that I must be a rather strict parent but that's just the way he and his brother are. Just like other kids they like candy and mcdonalds, burger king, wendy but it's more for the toys than the food (LOL).

My older son loves any kind of salad, he loves blue cheese which most kids and even some adults can't stand. He loves all fruits even grapefruit and loves veggies especially broccoli and carrots. My older one hates soda and prefers juice and milk to any other drinks and he is only 6. My husband and I have to do a double take on whether he really is a child or a mature adult :-), thankfully my younger one is more normal.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Hummus

Yakuta: Count your blessings! To have a little guy of 6 prefer things that are good for him is priceless. No prodding or nagging makes your life so much easier. It is a joy to prepare something for him. I am sure he reflects your habits as well as his siblings. Not drinking soda is half the battle to keep him growing strong. I have heard carbonated drinks affect the bones in some way. When I was younger, we did not get soda because mom felt it was not needed. We drank milk instead which some claim is not really good for you either. However, doing without sugar is best of all. Bet your husband is proud too. I commend you and thank you for your time explaining to me about hummus. I have eaten it with feta cheese already as debthecook suggested and that is very good. Made it again for lunch. Feel like I am cheating when I don't fix for the rest and only myself. Debthecook has helped me out many many times before and I appreciate her response and all of you for taking time to suggest ways to eat hummus. Thanks so much.

Tags
None