"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Hummus

I have asked about many strange things before and always gotten response so here I go again. Does anyone have recipe for hummus w/different kind of vegetables? #1 son has gotten used to eating this with his meals. Said it tastes good and I should see about recipes using it. First, it was tofu, next health mix, yogurt, now hummus. Does anyone use this and like it? I know there are many different recipes but having personally preferred one is reason for asking. Thank you. He doesn't like avacados the way I do. Tells me I am gaining weight. But it is good weight right?

Old 10-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I love hummus and have made it from scratch before, but this is actually something that I usually end up buying in the store and it is almost as good as homemade. The store carries so many varieties such as hummus with lemon, red pepper, chives, garlic, and just about a million other kinds. Sometimes I just buy it plain and mix in my own extras at home. Any herbs from your garden are a great addition.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I like it very much too. Get some pita bread, smear in a big spoon of hummus, add some chopped lettuce, tomato, red onion. Great.
I like it mixed with red bell pepper too.
Sometimes I'll make it and add some whole chick peas, so I have the blenderized chick pea Hummus mix with whole chick peas and put that in a sandwhich like above. You could put some Feta in the sandwhich too.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i have a recipe posted for rustic hummus. i'll go see if i can find it and bump it up for you
Old 10-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
under ethnic foods.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Hummus

Boy, thank you very much. My family will love you for it. All these strange things never heard of them before. Will check your recipe and make it. Anything so they know I am not ignoring them. Even make a sandwich out of if with Feta. I would never had thought the two go together.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Head Chef

In the Kitchen, I am assuming you know how to make hummus.

Anyway here is how I make it. Middie's recipe is similar the only thing is that I like to keep Tahini (Sesame paste) handy at home.

Garlic - 3 cloves
3 tbsp of tahini paste
1 can garbanzo beans
4 tbsp of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of cumin
lots of chopped flat leaf parsley
paprika for garnish
salt to taste

Blend all the ingredients except paprika and parsley which are used to garnish the hummus.

Now to using it. The best thing to make with hummus is falafel. It's basically a dry bean powder that you mix with water and spices of your choice even herbs. Mix it all together to create a thick batter. Drop by tbsps into hot oil and then drain on paper towels

Serve on pocket pitas with chopped cucumbers, onions and tomatoes and a generous serving of hummus smeared. It's really very very good.

Hummus can also be used as a sandwich spread for roasted vegetable paninis or any other sandwiches (hot or cold).
Old 10-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't know how to make it, but if you hummus a few bars... (ok sorry, lutzzz's mutiny really has me listing to port...)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Ohhh Yakuta is right. Falafel is a great thing to make. I would also take some of the tahini and thin it out with some water and maybe a little lemon juice to make a sauce for the falafel. Pack it all into a pita with lots of veggies and you have a great meal!
Old 10-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Hummus

Falafel, I am getting awfully hungry. Where do you get this Falafel? Find at health food store or grocery store? I have never heard of all this before. I just ate some hummus with feta and put on pita cracker. Now I can't stop eating. This falafel sounds great. Use it for appetizer or can you make meal out of falafel? Is it some kind of thickner for hummus? Or am I talking about hummus when I say falafel? Said it was dry bean powder I don't want to appear dumb but I am ignorant about hummus. Like buckytom said hummus a tune is more familiar. Glad someone knows what I mean. Thanks you guys I love you all for your time to make my life better.

Tags
None