I may have started something I shouldn't have......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Yesterday I had to make two big cheese displays. As I was finishing the centerpiece, I had a little inspiration. I've seen it done elsewhere, and I just realized how I might accomplish it myself. I took my melon-baller, and cut out some round holes in a block of cheddar to resemble swiss. Then, I took some Goat's Cheese, and formed it into a teardrop shape. I laid that down on the cheddar. Using a little more cheese, I made some small ears. I used a clean, long root from a leek for a tail. Using some small pieces of Nori (I had some sushi ready as well), I made eyes, and using some cellophane noodles, made some whiskers. I ended up with two little white mice made from cheese on my display.

Later that night, my Chef asked me how long it took me to make the mice. I told him about 5 minutes. He then informed me that one of the members wanted to buy three of them. Unfortunately, we were out of Goat's Cheese. Of course, once I got home, I realized that I could have used cream cheese for it as well. I did notice, however, that one of my white mice was MIA when all the food started coming back.

Allen, that MIA mouse is at my house. It got scared that someone was going to eat it & ran away. :LOL: On a more serious note! It sounds like you did a great job & you should be very proud of yourself! :D

That sounds great AllenMI--very creative! If you're ever able to take a picture of one, why don't you post it here--we'd love to see it! You may have a whole new career waiting for you in cheese sculpture! ;)

mudbug said:
Boys who play with their food sometimes come up with something wonderful! Attaboy, Allen, for your creativity!

I'll keep that in mind next time I start to fuss at my son for making a mountian out of his mashed potatoes or a tank out of his green beans. :D

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind", with Richard Dreyfuss. He got "exposed" to the aliens exploring Earth and started seeing and obsessing about images of a butte everywhere. Made a butte out of his mashed potatoes in one scene, to the considerable anguish of his family.

PA Baker said:
That sounds great AllenMI--very creative! If you're ever able to take a picture of one, why don't you post it here--we'd love to see it! You may have a whole new career waiting for you in cheese sculpture! ;)

I was kicking myself for not taking my digital camera that day. Usually, the Sous Chef and the Bus Supervisor have digital cameras with them, but they didn't that day.

I remember seeing an episode of "The Best Of" on FTV several months ago, and they did a segment on a lady that does cheese sculpture. She did something similar.

Back
Top Bottom