I need some ideas on some appetizers to serve at my upcoming wedding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to a wedding where they served cold boiled shrimp. It was really a hit, and it was sweet to hear that several family members got together to peel them, cook them, plate them :)etc.

Here are some suggestions- these are all delicious!

A friend of mine served this at his wedding, and it was a big hit. He served the shrimp and green mayo separately instead of tossing them together as per recipe:
SHRIMP IN GREEN MAYO
Tapas - Shrimp In Green Mayo Recipe - Food.com - 85788

Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-oyls-treat-for-popeye-spinach-stuffed-mushrooms-11644

SALMON CANAPES
http://www.eat.at/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=2&msgid=14

Last edited:
So it will be hot and there will be lots of fresh produce to work with. How many guests do you want to feed, at about what price point per person? Do you have access to sufficient refrigerator space and do you have some help with the cooking and serving? Is there any one thing you absolutely must have to be happy (other than the cake, LOL?)? Are there foods that MUST NOT appear, for whatever reason? Do any special dietary needs (kosher, vegan. diabetes, etc.) need to be considered?

What do you want the "feel" of the reception to be?
- Elegant and classic?
- Boy, that was a fun party?
- Amazing food?
- Definitely a reflection of [the bride's] personality?

Last edited by a moderator:
So it will be hot and there will be lots of fresh produce to work with. How many guests do you want to feed, at about what price point per person? Do you have access to sufficient refrigerator space and do you have some help with the cooking and serving? Is there any one thing you absolutely must have to be happy (other than the cake, LOL?)? Are there foods that MUST NOT appear, for whatever reason? Do any special dietary needs (kosher, vegan. diabetes, etc.) need to be considered?

What do you want the "feel" of the reception to be?
- Elegant and classic?
- Boy, that was a fun party?
- Amazing food?
- Definitely a reflection of [the bride's] personality?

Great questions!

Thanks, TaxLady! I have no idea how many weddings I have planned and/or catered over the years, so the questions are born of experience. Unless you start with some idea of where the bride wants to go, you never end up getting her there. I don't know why my questions got a thumbs down icon. Didn't even know such a thing was done on the friendliest cooking forum

Thanks, TaxLady! I have no idea how many weddings I have planned and/or catered over the years, so the questions are born of experience. Unless you start with some idea of where the bride wants to go, you never end up getting her there.

I thought it might have something to do with experience ;)

I don't know why my questions got a thumbs down icon. Didn't even know such a thing was done on the friendliest cooking forum

I think you accidentally added the thumbs down icon yourself. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, TaxLady! I have no idea how many weddings I have planned and/or catered over the years, so the questions are born of experience. Unless you start with some idea of where the bride wants to go, you never end up getting her there. I don't know why my questions got a thumbs down icon. Didn't even know such a thing was done on the friendliest cooking forum

I tried to edit that thumbs down, but wasn't able to, sorry!

I am currently planning my wedding. I am trying to lay out the menu. I need some idea for appetizers or finger foods to serve. Thanks so much for the help!!!
Well first, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Second, we did this for my sister's wedding 16 yrs ago....my mom and I cooked everything (I was in high school) with a bit of help from Dad and my brother. A couple of close family friends from out of town came in 4 days early to help us finish the deed. It was a little stressful but lots of fun and gives you such a sense of pride when the food is a hit. If you're cooking your own food you probably are doing everything else, too, just like we were, so I know you'll have your hands full.

Presentation counts for a LOT even if the food you're serving is relatively simple. My mom has a book that we use for special events and has some really good, simple ideas, called Garnishing: A Feast for your Eyes. It comes with step-by-step instructions, cut out patterns and relatively simple designs that still have a lot of visual appeal.

Amazon.com: Garnishing: A Feast For Your Eyes (9780895864765): Francis T. Lynch: Books

For my sister's wedding, I was in charge of the Melon Swan Fruit Salad Bowl:

img_966761_0_567e7f3b1208ee794258f64d90feeb83.jpg

Here's the pic out of the book for the same:
img_966761_1_e45bd5e4cfffb71dca8a8161d5b8c998.jpg

I have used the same garnish for many parties since, and it's really easy to do and always a huge hit. Most recently I filled the melon swan with a yogurt fruit dip and surrounded it with strawberries, pear slices and chunks of melon on toothpicks for dipping. The swan itself can be done the night before and refrigerated, and the dip can be made days in advance and frozen if necessary.

Here's the yogurt fruit dip I used:

[FONT=&quot]YOGURT[/FONT][FONT=&quot] FRUIT DIP[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yield: 10 servings, 2 Tablespoons each[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]1 container (6-ounces) raspberry nonfat yogurt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup thawed sugar-free whipped topping[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mix ingredients until well blended; cover. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serve as a dip with fresh fruit.[/FONT]
A really simple garnish for trays of veggies with dip is to hollow out a large bell pepper (or several if it's a large tray) and put the dip in that. Another easy one is a pineapple speared with toothpicks and bite-sized blocks of cheese.

Some other things to do that are easy to make in advance and store for later use:
[FONT=&quot]APPLE-DATE SPREAD
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup finely chopped, unpeeled apple[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup finely chopped dates[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Garnish: apple slices[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Combine cream cheese and milk, mixing well. Stir in the pecans, apple, and dates.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Garnish with apple slices, if desired, and serve with assorted crackers or as a sandwich spread on bread—especially good on rye bread or pumpernickel.[/FONT]
I always serve this with the little baby bread slices and it's wonderful. Last time I made this everyone asked for the recipe.
[FONT=&quot]PINEAPPLE CREAM CHEESE BALL[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 large can crushed pineapple—well drained[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16 ounces cream cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup diced bell pepper or less to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups chopped nuts (reserve 1/2 cup nuts)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soften cream cheese; combine with other ingredients. Shape into ball.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cover and refrigerate until firm. Roll in reserved nuts.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Serve with a variety of crackers or bread.[/FONT]
As for meats....I like the cold shrimp idea a LOT! Sausage balls are always a hit, so are Lil Smokies. Cold cuts and sliced cheese arranged with fancy crackers would be simple, easy crowd pleaser. You can also make a huge batch of chicken salad and make a bunch of baby sandwiches, maybe use a cookie cutter to cut the sandwiches out in fun shapes.

Good luck!

LOL!:LOL: I'll just wait for the bride to chime back in, so I can decide whether beaten biscuits with shaved country ham, blini with 3 caviars, chex mix for a crowd, the roll your own sushi station, or some other recipe is useful to her.

LOL!:LOL: I'll just wait for the bride to chime back in, so I can decide whether beaten biscuits with shaved country ham, blini with 3 caviars, chex mix for a crowd, the roll your own sushi station, or some other recipe is useful to her.
Oh man....a roll your own sushi station would be awesome. I got married on the beach in the Philippines and it was a small crowd so we just had dinner at the restaurant of the resort. We had ribs. :LOL:

Wedding receptions with some sort of guest participation in the food are fun. If you cut the nori into 1/4 size sheets and put everything out, anybody can make hand rolled, cone shaped sushi - while having fun and meeting the other side of the couple's family. At a "public" event like a wedding, I use all cooked ingredients, but at home, the full range of raw and cooked make a great cocktail party.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL: Something for everybody!:LOL:

I am currently planning my wedding. I am trying to lay out the menu. I need some idea for appetizers or finger foods to serve. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Welcome to DC. I'm not of any help for your question, though you've come to the right place for ideas - there are lots of knowledgeable folks on DC. I just wanted to say Hi, since I moved to FL from Lake Wylie on the Charlotte side. Sure will miss the Spring peach orchard blossoms in your neck of the woods. Good luck with your wedding! :flowers:

Asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto and then roasted. Dead simple and unbeatable taste.

Stuff wonton wrappers into a mini-muffin tin and fill with .... whatever ... and bake. Or don't fill them before you bake them and use them as little vessels for shrimp or chicken salad.

Salad on a skewer -- cherry tomato, basil leaf, hunk of mozz -- repeat a couple times. Marinate in a simple balsamic or lemon vinaigrette.

At our wedding they served crapes/bliny with caviar, cortesy of my MIL, but we at my friends wedding they served some stewd mushroom dish, it was awesome. Ws not exactly a finger food, but I think I had like 20 helpings, I could not stop my self it was so good. Unfortunatelly i was not able to get the recpe. My other friends had this cute thing bunch of small cut cold cuts on the sticks in the middle of the serving tray and on the side little toasts "buttered" with butter that was mixed with ketchup 50:50 and then sprinkled with hard cheese, I think it was parmezan, but you can use whatever you like. The toast could be baked or beter yet light ly fried in clerified butter on both side, supper yum.

Back
Top Bottom