"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef

I think I did it again....

Last weekend, my Chef described one of the appetizers he was going to run for a special that week. He wanted to take Yukon Gold potatoes, remove a slice from one end so they would stand upright, slice off the "top", and hollow out the interior. He wanted the taters cooked, and then stuffed with a crabmeat mixture and some Mornay sauce.

When I got the special menu on Wednesday, I noticed the crab was to be mixed with bacon (yummy). One of the other cooks had even hollowed out the potatoes for me.

Here's what I did:
Diced some raw bacon, and sauteed that until it started to show some good color. I removed the pan from the heat, added some minced red onion, and tossed to mix well, cook the onion, and cool the bacon. To this, I added some lump crabmeat. Set this aside for a la minute finishing.

To make an order, I deep-fried the potatoes. The crab mixture was mixed with my Mornay sauce (kept cold for another menu item), and brought to a quick boil. I stuffed the crab-cheese mixture into the potatoes, topped with a little shredded parmesan, and ran them through the broiler for a couple minutes. The appetizer was plated by doing a zig-zag of roast red bell pepper coulis on the plate, and arranging the potatoes on the plate. A little minced chives on the potatoes and out it goes!

I got great reviews! The president of the club, and his wife, ordered some on Thursday, and told the Chef that these "Crab Skins" need to go on the menu!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

And now, inspiration really hits!

I just thought of this.

Instead of doing the "upright" version, cut the Yukon Gold's in half, so that you have a flat, oval shape. Slice a thin shaving from the bottom so they won't rock. Hollow out the "skin" (this may be easier if the Gold's are steamed first, then cooled). Instead of canned lump crabmeat, use some good stuff, like snow crab, with the leg sections cut in half. Proceed as I did, with the bacon, onion, and Mornay sauce, topped with cheese. It will have a "chunkier" look to it, which I personally prefer. Heck, I might just do this myself at work, as a demo for the Chef should we decide to put it on the menu.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Master Chef

Wow, Allen this sounds more than OK---it sounds fantastic (not sure what pepper coulis is) ---congrats on impressing the big guy---maybe you can post a pic the next time you get a chance
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oh yes, a picture please. But heck, anything with bacon, crab, potatoes and cheese - it's gotta be a winner!!!! I've never thought to stuff a potato with crab but man, I'm drooling just thinking about it!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Where are my manners?

Remember, this is how I made it at work. I'd like to lay the potato down, so it's more like the bowl of a spoon, and use larger chunks of crabmeat.

A "coulis" is a pureed made from fruit and/or veggies, and used as a "sauce" that can be used to "paint" a plate. Here, I've done a simple zig-zag on the plate. Honestly, I think it needs a little something. Maybe a mix of mesclun with some kind of vinaigrette? Parmesan curls or Parmesan "chips" made by sprinkling shredded parm into a warm skillet until it melts?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Head Chef

Oh dear........YUM!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Where are my manners?

Remember, this is how I made it at work. I'd like to lay the potato down, so it's more like the bowl of a spoon, and use larger chunks of crabmeat.

A "coulis" is a pureed made from fruit and/or veggies, and used as a "sauce" that can be used to "paint" a plate. Here, I've done a simple zig-zag on the plate. Honestly, I think it needs a little something. Maybe a mix of mesclun with some kind of vinaigrette? Parmesan curls or Parmesan "chips" made by sprinkling shredded parm into a warm skillet until it melts?
I think it looks wonderful as is. If you really think it needs something, then throw something green and delicate on top, such as some fresh chives, thin and very green, or some micro greens. Just make sure the greens don't overpower the delicate crab. Maybe a touch of lemongrass.

Allen, you impress me, not that I'm anyone special to impress. But you do.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

TY all. This is the reason I cook for a living. I like to serve good food, or at least, make folks salivate thinking about eating the food I make.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Looking very tasty to my eyes!!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

Allen, does sound great. As a very dumb question, what do you use to hollow out the potato meat? And what cheese in the Mornay?

Thanks so much for posting it. The idea of deep frying the tater cups really intrigues me.

I gotta try it. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Tags
None