"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 12-08-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

I'm making eggrolls! :-)

I'm so excited, I'm making egg rolls this weekend! My dad requested them and I recently acquired a secret family recipe from a friend of mine. His Mom is an AWESOME cook, and so she taught me how to make really good Vietnamese style egg rolls. Now I'll just have to cross my fingers that I took notes correctly. :?

Old 12-09-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Another adventure in cooking! Come back and tell us how they turned out.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

And post the recipe!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Cook

I love making egg rolls, although mine never tend to come out quite crispy enough. Please let us know how yours turn out. :D
Old 12-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #5

Re: I'm making eggrolls! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I'm so excited, I'm making egg rolls this weekend! My dad requested them and I recently acquired a secret family recipe from a friend of mine. His Mom is an AWESOME cook, and so she taught me how to make really good Vietnamese style egg rolls. Now I'll just have to cross my fingers that I took notes correctly. :?
I have always made chinese style egg rolls. What makes Vietnamese egg rolls different?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #6

Hot n Spicy.

I saute/stir fry my egg roll ingredients first til half way cooked [unless you want a few of them crunchy], then I roll the egg rolls with the filling and the ingredients I want crunchy.

I fry the egg rolls in deep fat at a medium high heat til golden.

This way is easier than putting the ingredients in raw, and ensures the egg roll ingredients you want cooked through are.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
Head Chef

The main difference in Vietnamese vs. Chinese egg rolls is the use of meat/shrimp. I LOVE Vietnamese egg rolls, any time I refer to egg rolls, these are the type I mean. They are so good, I'm excited just thinking about making them! My Dad is going to get the ingredients today and I will prep the filling tonight, roll them Friday night and fry them Saturday. :D Just so I don't get too tired making a big batch.

I first started making egg rolls when I moved out on my own. My first batch was TERRIBLE! :? The meat was tough and I didn't use the correct ingredients. I've continuously played around with how to improve them. Here are some things to watch out for: how you roll them. If the egg rolls are not tight enough, the air pockets will make them go soggy FAST. This is what happened to the first batch. I rolled too fast, and didn't take enough care to make sure they were tight w/ no air pockets. Also watch the meat to shrimp ratio. Should be about 2 parts ground pork 1 part ground shrimp (roughly). As for cooking, I never precook my meat before filling. I avoid this only because numerous family friends have told me not to, that the texture of the meat will change, etc. (side note: one woman I recently talked to said she fills, rolls, wraps, then microwaves for a few minutes, then deep fries, just to brown. She's considered a very good cook, so I may try this one day, since I'm watching my weight...)

HotnSpicy, not sure how you are handling the egg rolls after they are cooked, but make sure to follow 2 golden rules of egg roll cooking: 1. never let it rest laying down, always stand it up vertically in a colander 2. never line the colander with paper towels, or anything. This is yet again one of the things I screwed up in the first batch.

As with all home cooking, each family is different, some swear by using taro, others do not. Some love wood ear (like me), others do not. I'll let you all know how it goes later! :D :D :D
Old 12-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
The main difference in Vietnamese vs. Chinese egg rolls is the use of meat/shrimp. I LOVE Vietnamese egg rolls, any time I refer to egg rolls, these are the type I mean. They are so good, I'm excited just thinking about making them! My Dad is going to get the ingredients today and I will prep the filling tonight, roll them Friday night and fry them Saturday. :D Just so I don't get too tired making a big batch.

I first started making egg rolls when I moved out on my own. My first batch was TERRIBLE! :? The meat was tough and I didn't use the correct ingredients. I've continuously played around with how to improve them. Here are some things to watch out for: how you roll them. If the egg rolls are not tight enough, the air pockets will make them go soggy FAST. This is what happened to the first batch. I rolled too fast, and didn't take enough care to make sure they were tight w/ no air pockets. Also watch the meat to shrimp ratio. Should be about 2 parts ground pork 1 part ground shrimp (roughly). As for cooking, I never precook my meat before filling. I avoid this only because numerous family friends have told me not to, that the texture of the meat will change, etc. (side note: one woman I recently talked to said she fills, rolls, wraps, then microwaves for a few minutes, then deep fries, just to brown. She's considered a very good cook, so I may try this one day, since I'm watching my weight...)

HotnSpicy, not sure how you are handling the egg rolls after they are cooked, but make sure to follow 2 golden rules of egg roll cooking: 1. never let it rest laying down, always stand it up vertically in a colander 2. never line the colander with paper towels, or anything. This is yet again one of the things I screwed up in the first batch.

As with all home cooking, each family is different, some swear by using taro, others do not. Some love wood ear (like me), others do not. I'll let you all know how it goes later! :D :D :D

I think I see where I went wrong, htc. I don't think I rolled my egg rolls tight enough to eliminate air pockets. That's probably why they didn't stay nice and crispy. I'm going to try again, rolling nice and slow so that I don't get the air pockets. Thanks!!! :D
Old 12-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #9

I base my idea of what a good egg roll is like by my favorite restaurant near my alumni college -- it was called Mars Cafe.

I used to go there all the time. It was a mom and pop operation. The kitchen was where you could look into it and see what dad was doing.

I based my recipe and techniques on what I saw that older Chinese guy do, and how his food tasted. Maybe it is not the norm, but it is what I am used to and what I like. Different strokes.....
Old 12-09-2004, 08:49 PM   #10

OOOOH!

QUIT TEASING US!!

Post your recipes!!

My family would kill for a good source of egg rolls/spring rolls, and this would be SOO good!!

Lifter

Tags
None