"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to foodisfood Send a message via MSN to foodisfood Send a message via Skype™ to foodisfood
that sounds awesome! I absolutely love roasted red pepper hummus. so delicious on some tortilla chips!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Ooops... guilty for referring to my creations as hummus. Sorry... but it sure was good! So why do chick peas and tahini paste get to have their own term? Maybe I can call the black bean version..... bummus?
Actually hummus is the arabic word for chickpeas! (thanks wikipedia) I guess we'd need to find the arabic word for blackbean to name your creation but personally, I like your word for it!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Actually hummus is the arabic word for chickpeas! (thanks wikipedia) I guess we'd need to find the arabic word for blackbean to name your creation but personally, I like your word for it!

Ahhhhh.... ok. So chick peas is hummus. I from here on out will refer to my dips in some other form or fashion! Ok... this next I tried... I can call hummus cuz I used chick peas and tahini!!!

Satties Hatch Pepper Hummus

1 can chick peas
1/4 c tahini paste
4 sun dried tomatos in olive oil (use some of the oil to thin out the hummus)
1 roasted hatch pepper
1 tsp cumin
salt
pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon

Take her for a spin and chill!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #34
Head Chef

Sattie, the fancy chefs think that it is ok to take poetic license with foodie terms in an effort to jazz up their menu. I really wasn't trying to criticize you. I was just trying to explain that hummus is a specific dish made with certain ingredients in it.

For example, it would be like making chicken kiev but not using the traditional kiev filling but still calling your creation chicken kiev. It still is made like chicken kiev but you added your own twist to the inside--maybe vegetables, ham, cheese etc. Truly it is not chicken kiev anymore but it is similar and made in the style of the original dish.

That is what has happened to hummus. There are all sorts of chick pea versions throughout the Middle East but somehow between there and here, fusion versions have been created and folks still called the dish hummus even when it no longer is made from chickpeas anymore.

I even see it with desserts. Chefs think they are being clever and along with this kind of cleverness usually comes a big price tag.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #35
Sous Chef

thats ok the USA is all about fusion. so Bummus is a great name and am going to adopt it for my dictionary of new fusion words.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Sattie, the fancy chefs think that it is ok to take poetic license with foodie terms in an effort to jazz up their menu. I really wasn't trying to criticize you. I was just trying to explain that hummus is a specific dish made with certain ingredients in it.

For example, it would be like making chicken kiev but not using the traditional kiev filling but still calling your creation chicken kiev. It still is made like chicken kiev but you added your own twist to the inside--maybe vegetables, ham, cheese etc. Truly it is not chicken kiev anymore but it is similar and made in the style of the original dish.

That is what has happened to hummus. There are all sorts of chick pea versions throughout the Middle East but somehow between there and here, fusion versions have been created and folks still called the dish hummus even when it no longer is made from chickpeas anymore.

I even see it with desserts. Chefs think they are being clever and along with this kind of cleverness usually comes a big price tag.
Hey Pie... no offense taken. And I do believe you are right when using the word hummus to describe something that is not hummus. I had no clue that it mainly referred to the chick pea / tahini pairing. I understand the point you are making and agree!

With that being said... here is a new one I created today! And it is zesty and good!!!!

1 can of chick peas
2 roasted hatch peppers
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium tomato quartered
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup of flat leaf parsley
1/4 t of onion powder
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 jalapeno peppers (my jalapeno plant is spitting out these tiny jalapenos... no bigger than the tip of my pinky.... they pack heat, but not overwhelminig)

Give the happy ingredients a whizzzz ..... quite tasty!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Ooops... guilty for referring to my creations as hummus. Sorry... but it sure was good! So why do chick peas and tahini paste get to have their own term? Maybe I can call the black bean version..... bummus?

good one!!!

Also some pretty tasty sounding recipes here!! YUM pass the pita please!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
good one!!!

Also some pretty tasty sounding recipes here!! YUM pass the pita please!!
LOL... gotta work with what I know!!! Got the last batch I just made chillin! I'm gonna be digging it out soon!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

I brought hummus with home made pita chips to my 5 year high school reunion and no one touched it.

Oh well, I definitely devoured the leftovers.

mr_misanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Another sbstitute for Tahini - Cashew Nuts.

Put Cashew into ood processor and pulse until you have a paste. Use instead of Tahini. Or - of course - kulikuli !

kulikuli (peanut cake, after oil has been pressed from it)

Tags
None