I'm on a Hummus kick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the etymology of the word "hummus" comes from arabic for the word "chickpeas". so technically, real hummus must include chickpeas to be hummus. but that is just in theory... in practice, anything can be anything if you call it anything :)

I make a spread using hummus and a puree of roasted vegetables: eggplant, peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, etc. It kinda looks like cat puke, but is really tasty. It is especially good on toasted baguette slices, topped with fresh pico de gallo. Yeah some fusion going on: Middle eastearn, Italian, Mexican.

I love olives in hummus, and sometimes I use different types of beans like cannellini!

That is one of the main things I really like about it, it is soooo versitile. I don't think I have made the same batch of hummus twice, it changes everytime I make it.

You can leave out Tahini and use something else, but the flavor changes. Some people have used peanut butter, but you are free to experiment. I would suggest buying some fresh Hummus in the store and trying it first to see if/how you like it.

The beans (chick peas) soaked all day, 4 cups of them. I'm cooking them now. I've had really good results with freezing cups of it for later, so I'm planning on doing just that.
:chef:I read an interesting recipe recently. Have you noticed how dense and thick hummus can be when it is homemade? When I buy it, it's much thinner and more spreadable. This has to be due to the addition of more oil or more water.
The recipe I saw said it turned out 'airy' with the addition of crushed ice in the food processor. I'm going to try the addition of crushed ice to get it more airy. My only worry would be that when it thaws out, it might separate out. I guess I'll find out.
I'm going to make a few variations.
One traditional w/lemon, garlic, tahini.
One with peanut butter instead of tahini.
One with sun dried tomatoes and possibly some chipotle sauce.

I have lots more ingredients, like jalapeno peppers, lime juice, horseradish, cream, herbs and spices. Any ideas for more interesting combos? TIA ~Bliss

The beans (chick peas) soaked all day, 4 cups of them. I'm cooking them now. I've had really good results with freezing cups of it for later, so I'm planning on doing just that.
:chef:I read an interesting recipe recently. Have you noticed how dense and thick hummus can be when it is homemade? When I buy it, it's much thinner and more spreadable. This has to be due to the addition of more oil or more water.
The recipe I saw said it turned out 'airy' with the addition of crushed ice in the food processor. I'm going to try the addition of crushed ice to get it more airy. My only worry would be that when it thaws out, it might separate out. I guess I'll find out.
I'm going to make a few variations.
One traditional w/lemon, garlic, tahini.
One with peanut butter instead of tahini.
One with sun dried tomatoes and possibly some chipotle sauce.

I have lots more ingredients, like jalapeno peppers, lime juice, horseradish, cream, herbs and spices. Any ideas for more interesting combos? TIA ~Bliss

I love adding oven-roasted red peppers to it, I think someone already mentioned it in this thread. i saw you have jalapenos... i would suggest you roast these jalapenos and remove the charred skin, using them in this way will give you a more interesting and complex profile. another bit of advice... i would recommend you make the original mix of hummus w the chickpeas and then begin to incorporating the amounts of extra flavorings like the peppers and spices gradually. this will allow you some measure of control so that you dont immediately lose all the flavor of the chickpeas to a more potent spice.

Thanks Seven, I did use your idea of making the base mixture and then adding the flavorings to it.
I made two bases, one with tahini and one with ground peanuts. I liked both of them equally well, the ground peanuts was a really nice flavor.
I added the crushed ice to the tahini base to see if it would be more airy. I guess I'll find out how this turns out once I defrost them all.
Then I portioned them into 1 cup resealable containers, and labeled them.
The only mixture that needed to be processed after that was the sundried tomatoes and chipotle sauce. It turned to a nice pink color.
I made one with black bean and garlic sauce, yummo, the color isn't so nice though. One with wasabi. Two each of the plain bases. I might end up adding ingredients to the plain bases later. (Jalepeno's probably)
I'll be bringing one to work each week, with some type of bread or crackers. Sometimes I layer the hummus on the toast with a little cream cheese and a thin slice of tomato. Sometimes all by itself on toast. I add a salad and call it a meal.

I make the chickpea version all the time. My wife loves the stuff. I add some roasted red bell pepper. Gives it a nice orange color. I roast 6 or 7 red and yellow bell peppers ever couple of months. Cut them into small squares, and freeze them in ice trays. One cube equals about ¼ cup. Those things in the jars are ridiculously priced.

Until about two weeks ago I was not a big fan. It was ok but I did not see what the big deal was all about then I had some in a persian restaurant and the light went on.

Now I make my own and love the stuff.

I'm curious now, what did you change in the recipe?

I am sure that most of the stuff I have had in the past was store bought. Very little taste and no texture. What was not store bought the beans always came from a can.

As to what I changed: I cooked my own beans. I used some of the cooking liquid with lemon juice and Tahini to make a creamy emulsion. When I chopped the beans I did not make them into chickpea butter. So I had a nice flavor and textures running from cream to slightly chunky.

I have the same user name on You Tube and I did post a video (I am not an expert on videos so don’t expect to see me on TV).

I am sure that most of the stuff I have had in the past was store bought. Very little taste and no texture. What was not store bought the beans always came from a can.

As to what I changed: I cooked my own beans. I used some of the cooking liquid with lemon juice and Tahini to make a creamy emulsion. When I chopped the beans I did not make them into chickpea butter. So I had a nice flavor and textures running from cream to slightly chunky.

I have the same user name on You Tube and I did post a video (I am not an expert on videos so don’t expect to see me on TV).
Ok thanks for the tips, I will check your video.

Back
Top Bottom