I'm on a Hummus kick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my recipe for Tahini:

Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste)

2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water -- tepid

Place sesame seeds in a blender or food processor and grind until smooth. Add sesame oil and salt. Process until combined. With the motor running, add the water in a very slow, steady stream and blend until smooth.

Yield: 1/2 cup

Very nice... thank you mcnerd. May give that a try next time I need to make some.

I don't measure, I put a half bag of untoasted white sesame seeds and some olive oil in the processor, and it takes quite a while to break them down to a paste.

Yes, fresh is the best!!! I spent all that time paying for something I could make so much better myself!!!

I tried a new version yesterday... it's all gone now:

1 can black beans drained
1 adobo chili in sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (your fav HB!)
1/4 cup tahini
4 sun dried tomatos in olive oil (use some of the olive oil to thin out and add flavor)
good pinch of kosher salt

I like to let mine sit a day if I can stand it....

Yum yum... all gone!!!

Yes, fresh is the best!!! I spent all that time paying for something I could make so much better myself!!!

I tried a new version yesterday... it's all gone now:

1 can black beans drained
1 adobo chili in sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (your fav HB!)
1/4 cup tahini
4 sun dried tomatos in olive oil (use some of the olive oil to thin out and add flavor)
good pinch of kosher salt

I like to let mine sit a day if I can stand it....

Yum yum... all gone!!!

That ain't hummus! :-p
Sounds good nonetheless. ;)

Oh to add...
A few weeks ago, while making a nice big batch of hummus, I ran out of all the tahini I needed.
I found a pretty decent sub-- I had sunflower seeds, a nice handful of those well pulsed provides the nutty and somewhat cream taste found in tahini.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditionally hummus is made with chick peas and tahini is a must. There are lots of variations but the real deal does not contain peanut butter.

All these other recipes might be great spreads and quite tasty but they really are not hummus.

It is like when chefs started using the word carpacio for anything thinly sliced and raw, not just for raw beef.

That's alright. I find I use peanut butter far more often and at a better price than Tahini so I will continue to be non-traditional at times, but I may change my recipe title to "Not Hummus Hummus". :chef:

Ooops... guilty for referring to my creations as hummus. Sorry... but it sure was good! So why do chick peas and tahini paste get to have their own term? Maybe I can call the black bean version..... bummus?

Ooops... guilty for referring to my creations as hummus. Sorry... but it sure was good! So why do chick peas and tahini paste get to have their own term? Maybe I can call the black bean version..... bummus?
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Actually hummus is the arabic word for chickpeas! (thanks wikipedia) I guess we'd need to find the arabic word for blackbean to name your creation but personally, I like your word for it!:LOL:

Actually hummus is the arabic word for chickpeas! (thanks wikipedia) I guess we'd need to find the arabic word for blackbean to name your creation but personally, I like your word for it!:LOL:

:LOL::LOL:

Ahhhhh.... ok. So chick peas is hummus. I from here on out will refer to my dips in some other form or fashion! Ok... this next I tried... I can call hummus cuz I used chick peas and tahini!!! :-p

Satties Hatch Pepper Hummus

1 can chick peas
1/4 c tahini paste
4 sun dried tomatos in olive oil (use some of the oil to thin out the hummus)
1 roasted hatch pepper
1 tsp cumin
salt
pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon

Take her for a spin and chill!!!

Sattie, the fancy chefs think that it is ok to take poetic license with foodie terms in an effort to jazz up their menu. I really wasn't trying to criticize you. I was just trying to explain that hummus is a specific dish made with certain ingredients in it.

For example, it would be like making chicken kiev but not using the traditional kiev filling but still calling your creation chicken kiev. It still is made like chicken kiev but you added your own twist to the inside--maybe vegetables, ham, cheese etc. Truly it is not chicken kiev anymore but it is similar and made in the style of the original dish.

That is what has happened to hummus. There are all sorts of chick pea versions throughout the Middle East but somehow between there and here, fusion versions have been created and folks still called the dish hummus even when it no longer is made from chickpeas anymore.

I even see it with desserts. Chefs think they are being clever and along with this kind of cleverness usually comes a big price tag.

Sattie, the fancy chefs think that it is ok to take poetic license with foodie terms in an effort to jazz up their menu. I really wasn't trying to criticize you. I was just trying to explain that hummus is a specific dish made with certain ingredients in it.

For example, it would be like making chicken kiev but not using the traditional kiev filling but still calling your creation chicken kiev. It still is made like chicken kiev but you added your own twist to the inside--maybe vegetables, ham, cheese etc. Truly it is not chicken kiev anymore but it is similar and made in the style of the original dish.

That is what has happened to hummus. There are all sorts of chick pea versions throughout the Middle East but somehow between there and here, fusion versions have been created and folks still called the dish hummus even when it no longer is made from chickpeas anymore.

I even see it with desserts. Chefs think they are being clever and along with this kind of cleverness usually comes a big price tag.

Hey Pie... no offense taken. And I do believe you are right when using the word hummus to describe something that is not hummus. I had no clue that it mainly referred to the chick pea / tahini pairing. I understand the point you are making and agree! ;)

With that being said... here is a new one I created today! And it is zesty and good!!!!

1 can of chick peas
2 roasted hatch peppers
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium tomato quartered
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup of flat leaf parsley
1/4 t of onion powder
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 jalapeno peppers (my jalapeno plant is spitting out these tiny jalapenos... no bigger than the tip of my pinky.... they pack heat, but not overwhelminig)

Give the happy ingredients a whizzzz ..... quite tasty!!!!

:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: good one!!!

Also some pretty tasty sounding recipes here!! YUM pass the pita please!!

:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: good one!!!

Also some pretty tasty sounding recipes here!! YUM pass the pita please!!

LOL... gotta work with what I know!!! Got the last batch I just made chillin! I'm gonna be digging it out soon!

I brought hummus with home made pita chips to my 5 year high school reunion and no one touched it. :(

Oh well, I definitely devoured the leftovers.

Another sbstitute for Tahini - Cashew Nuts.

Put Cashew into ood processor and pulse until you have a paste. Use instead of Tahini. Or - of course - kulikuli !

kulikuli (peanut cake, after oil has been pressed from it)

Back
Top Bottom