I'm on a Hummus kick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I use to buy this stuff in the store and get grossed out by it. Then I saw a recipe posted by tdiprincess for black bean hummus and finally tried it! I am sooooo hooked!

I have located every can of black beans in the house I could find and have made this just about every day for the last week. Here is my recipe that I have come up with after several batches. This stuff is good, good on just about anything!

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 clove of garlic (easy on the garlic, it can over power quickly)
2 cayenne peppers ( I love heat so this is a personal choice, use what ever peppers you like or no peppers at all!)
juice of 1/2 lime
2 T tahini (I searched high and lo for this stuff and finally made my own.)
1 T flat leaf parsley or cilantro (I use what ever I have on hand)
1 roma tomato, seeded and chunked
1 tsp chili powder ( I used Penzey's Hot Chili Powder)
1 tsp onion powder
kosher salt to taste

Toss in a food processor and whip it good!

For the tahini... I lightly roasted 1 c of sesame seeds at 300 for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally and ensuring that they did not brown. Let cool, add to food processor and 1/4 c of evoo. That will make enough for at least 4 batches of black bean hummus.

Hope you enjoy it, cuz I can live on this stuff!!! Hubby loves the garlic aroma of my breath!!!! :LOL:

This one sounds good Sattie. Have you tried the chick pea hummus with a southwest chipotle flavor? It's quite tastey.

This one sounds good Sattie. Have you tried the chick pea hummus with a southwest chipotle flavor? It's quite tastey.

No I have not!!! But want to try it all at this point. I guess since I am out of black beans, I have no choice but to branch out. You have a recipe for that Miss Dina??? Purty please!?

Sounds good! I love hummus any kind, bean, chickpea whatever. This time of year it is so delicious with fresh green or wax beans, crispy from the garden.

Roast your own red peppers (peeled and seeded of course) and add those to your hummus. Normally it's used in conjunction with garbanzo beans but I think they might give a nice twist to the black beans too!

Thanks for posting this sattie - I need to get my rear in gear as this would make a good meal - just add fermented grapes for the fruit :LOL:

Sattie! Thank you!
I spend $8 bucks on a jar of Tahini, I didn't think I could make my own!

Charlie I use garbanzos in my hummus also.

Sattie! Thank you!
I spend $8 bucks on a jar of Tahini, I didn't think I could make my own!

Charlie I use garbanzos in my hummus also.

It may not be anything like the jarred stuff, but since I can't find it anywhere, I'm not going to know the difference! :LOL: If you try it, let me know if it even compares.

I thoght that humus is made from garbanzo beans, not regular beans?

Mainly it is, but I think these days, you can pretty much use just about any kind of bean you want. The only bean I have not seen used in hummus is pinto.... but I'm sure someone has tried it!

How long do you think hummus is good for?....
I made it 2 weeks ago and DH wont eat it now.... I had some the other day and it was fine but now I'm paranoid to eat anymore.

How long do you think hummus is good for?....
I made it 2 weeks ago and DH wont eat it now.... I had some the other day and it was fine but now I'm paranoid to eat anymore.

I truly think you are pushing your luck - but that's just me. Do beans last that long in the fridge? Do the ol' smell test. Bad beans pretty much stink :LOL:

sattie, that recipe sounds great!

i love hummus. tostidos flour tortilla chips taste great with hummus.

Here's a version using peanut butter instead of Tahini.

Hummus

2 cloves garlic -- (2 to 3)
1 can garbanzo beans -- drained and liquid reserved
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter -- (2 to 3)
A handful fresh parsley leaves
1 lemon -- zested and juiced
1 Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 Pinch kosher salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Chop the garlic finely in a food processor. Add the beans and process finely, adding reserved liquid as necessary to get the desired consistency. Add the peanut butter, parsley, lemon zest and juice, black pepper, and salt. Process until it forms a paste. Drizzle in the olive oil and process until it reaches the consistency of mayonnaise.

no stinky.... but I guess I'll chuck it.
bummer.

Hey girlie.. I've heard that it freezes really well. But I have not had any last long enough to freeze.

As for the peanut butter version.. that sounds awesome!!!! Never thought of peanut butter, but I don't see why it would not work. Thanks mcnerd!

yeah I'll have to try that next time, I just happen to have a vat of PB here all the time....

The OP inspired me to grab my frozen hummus out of the freezer and have it on whole wheat toast for lunch. It freezes great, yum!
Also, I make my own tahini because the seeds are less expensive than having it already made and it tends to go rancid if it sits a long time. (all the oils are released)

The OP inspired me to grab my frozen hummus out of the freezer and have it on whole wheat toast for lunch. It freezes great, yum!
Also, I make my own tahini because the seeds are less expensive than having it already made and it tends to go rancid if it sits a long time. (all the oils are released)

Hey, how do you make your tahini? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom