"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Question ISO Appetizer Ideas

My wife and bunch of ladies are going to have a get together with a guest speaker. The place they are going to though is very nice, but doesn’t have a kitchen or a restaurant. So, they need to bring stuff with them. They could bring a sterno (not sure about spelling), but would prefer cold appetizers. The rule is simple no dairy/seafood.
It can be vegetarian or meat, but absolutely no dairy or fish, well any seafood for that matter. Dips, sandwiches, whatever else you can come up with. I need ideas. Because some how I got stock with preparing stuff for them. Please help me out.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Everymom

Charlie, my suggestion would be to do pinwheels. You just put your filling in a layer on a tortilla and roll it up. Refrigerate for a bit then slice them about 1/2 inch thick and place on a plate. You can put whatever you want in them. I do egg salad, greek ones (but they have feta cheese), turkey slices, roast beef slices, pretty much anything you can put in a sandwich you can do in these and it looks pretty too! Good luck!

Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Cinnamon sugared nuts

2 egg whites
1 c Sugar
8 cups unblanched almonds or pecans, or walnuts
1/4 C Cinnamon

Directions:
Heat oven to 300°. Stir whites and nuts in bowl until nuts are well coated and sticky. Mix sugar
and cinnamon; sprinkle over nuts, stir until nuts are completly coated. Spread in a single layer on
2 ungeased cookie shets. Bake about 30 minutes or until nuts are toasted and dry. Store in an
airtight container

Spiced and Salted Pecans

1 c Sugar
1/2 c Water
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 cups pecans

Directions:
Combine in pan and cook over medium heat to thread stage the following. Sugar, water, cinnamom and
slat. Remove from heat, add vanill and pecans. Stir until pecans are coated and mix is creamy. Put
onto greased plate and speprate pecans as they cool.

I've had both of these for years and have no idea where the recipes came from. The second one is the best.
sorry I can't be of more help but it seems like all my appy's have cheese in them.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

"pinwheels" could be nice, I was thinking about them too. Anymore?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Trouble is, lots of appetizers have sour cream or cream cheese.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

do something with puff pastry.. fill it with ground meat, sausages etc... whatever you like...

what about eggs? cook them, cut into halfs and put some mayonaise or likely on it... would say caviar, but thats seafood...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

225g potatoes
225g ground beef or lamb
1 onion, chopped
1 T fresh coriander
1 celery, fine chopped
1 clove of garlic, smashed
Salt/pepper
Oil

Sauce:
1T Oil
1 chopped onion
2t brown sugar
400g tomatoes, canned
1t paprika powder
150ml vegetable brooth
starch

cut potatoes in cubes, cook and mash.
add meat, onions, coriander, celery and garlic and mix well. spice with pepper and salt.
knead and form balls, around 20.

for the sauce heat oil in a pot and stew the onions about 5min, add the other ingridients and cook with low heat for 20min.

heat oil in a pan and fry the meat rolls for about 10-15min.
serve on a plate and top with the sauce
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Not sure if you can do cream cheese or not, but here are some ideas off the top of my head

little smokies (using a crockpot)
fruit pizza
Mini BBQ meatballs
Homemade pico or bruscetta

This is a recipe that I have set aside, but haven't tried it yet.

Ruby-Red Pretzel Dip

1 can (16oz.) jellied cranberry sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. ground mustard
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. pepper
1 T. all purpose flour
1 T. cold water
Red food coloring, optional
Pretzels

In a saucepan combine cranberry sauce, sugar, vinegar, ginger, mustard, cinnamon and pepper; whisk over medium.

Heat until smooth. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; add to cranberry mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.

Transfer to a bowl; stir in food coloring if desired. Cover and chill overnight. Serve with pretzels. Yields 2 cups.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef

How about a white bean dip, served with pita chips?

WHITE BEAN DIP
makes 2 cups

cup soft bread crumbs
2T dry white wine
1 15 oz. can white beans(I like Navy, but cannellini are fine, too)
cup toasted almonds
3 cloves garlic minced
2T lemon juice
2T olive oil
tsp. salt
tsp. cayenne
2tsp. fresh oregano

Combine bread crumbs and wine and let sit for 10 minutes. Place beans, almonds, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and cayenne in food processor; process til almost smooth. Add bread crumb mixture and blend til smooth. Stir in herbs. Cover and chill 4 to 14 hours.

You could also use this as a filling for the 'pinwheels', with maybe some chopped cucumber, tomato and lettuce.

If you'd like to make something 'dippy' that usually has sour cream or cream cheese in it, try the 'Tofutti' brand nondairy cream cheese or sour cream; I've used them both and can vouch for them.

Other ideas -

A roasted veggie platter with assorted breads

Oh, and here's a chicken platter we used to serve at room temp for parties - I can't give you quantities - you'll have to put it together with how much you want to make.

Marinate boneless, skinless chicken breasts in:

Lemon juice
lots of chopped garlic
chopped parsley
minced fresh rosemary
salt and pepper

Then, either saute or grill them off. When they're cool, line a platter with pretty lettuce or kale leaves. Then slice the chicken breasts crosswise on a diagonal, fan them out a little, and arrange them prettily on the platter. The 'sauce' we made was with mayo, but you can find non-dairy mayo - was just made with the mayo, lemon juice, garlic, and salt/pepper.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

If you can find the ready made phillo mini shells at the market, here are several filling ideas below. If they are not available, spray a muffin tin and won ton wrappers with cooking spray, push the wrappers into the cups, bake, let them cool, and fill. You can make the cups ahead & put them in a zip lock bag.

http://www.athens.com/consumers/archive.aspx

MiniShells
Banana Sunshine Cups
Café Mocha
Cajun Scallops with Mango Salsa
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Deviled Eggs in an Athens Mini Shell
Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
Key Lime Tarts
Leprechaun Pies
Light Fruited Pudding Cups
Lite Bites