"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
ISO Dim Sum-Type Dumplings

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for dumplings? Not necessarily deep-fried, they can be boiled as well :)

__________________

__________________
Nall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
What filling do you prefer?

When I make dumplings, I usually make pork and cabbage fillings, and touch up with shrimp or mushroom, to add flavour. But pork and cabbage is the base.
__________________

__________________
viannecuisine.wordpress.com
Savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
If you are looking for something like dumpling to go with a stew, go to Food Network.com and search for dumplings there are a lot of recipes there.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,795
I make dumpling with flour or Bisquick for a dish like chicken and dumplings. I also make potato gnocchi and potato dumplings for sauerbraten. Then there is dim sum! So whatcha looking for?

Craig
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
What filling do you prefer?

When I make dumplings, I usually make pork and cabbage fillings, and touch up with shrimp or mushroom, to add flavour. But pork and cabbage is the base.

I havent made any in my whole life and the ones I've tried I don't remember their filling. I like any filling though, could it be pork and a variety of grated cheese?

Thank you for the reply!
__________________
Nall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
If you are looking for something like dumpling to go with a stew, go to Food Network.com and search for dumplings there are a lot of recipes there.

Im looking for the type of dumplings that are eaten alone, with soy sauce or other dressings. You know?
__________________
Nall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
Sounds delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I make dumpling with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings. I also make potato dumplings for sauerbraten. Then there is dim sum! So whatcha looking for?

Craig
All of those sound delicious. I'd love to learn about the potato dumplings and the dumplings with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings!
Forgive me for my culinary ignorance, what is Dim Sum? Thank's for the quick reply :)
__________________
Nall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nall View Post
All of those sound delicious. I'd love to learn about the potato dumplings and the dumplings with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings!
Forgive me for my culinary ignorance, what is Dim Sum? Thank's for the quick reply :)
Dim sum refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Dim sum refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables.
Hello Timothy, thank you for explaining that. I understood easily and googled immediately some images, they look delicious ! Are they very similar to the flour dumplings Craig is talking about?

On the subject of your signature, I LOVE SUSHI! I ate sushi at a restaurant today, 12-roll for 8 dollars. Kind of expensive but that's how food is priced in Latin America. It was a fried sushi, with tempura shrimp, plantain, cream cheese and bacon! Yummy. What is your favorite type of sushi?
__________________
Nall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nall View Post
Hello Timothy, thank you for explaining that. I understood easily and googled immediately some images, they look delicious ! Are they very similar to the flour dumplings Craig is talking about?

On the subject of your signature, I LOVE SUSHI! I ate sushi at a restaurant today, 12-roll for 8 dollars. Kind of expensive but that's how food is priced in Latin America. It was a fried sushi, with tempura shrimp, plantain, cream cheese and bacon! Yummy. What is your favorite type of sushi?
Hi Nall, good to meetcha! The flour type dumplings are just strips of flour and water, basically, with no filling. They are traditionally eaten with broth dishes like Boiled Chicken and such.

The Chinese version of dumplings are Filled pastries. Dim Sum is a perfect example of them. I've had Dim Sum of maybe a hundred types of fillings. The fillings can be almost anything and it's a standard manner of getting rid of "Leftovers" in china. Dice em up, add some veggies and wrap them for Dim Sum!

My favorite type of sushi? Oh man, that's a hard one to answer, because I love almost any type. I guess gunkenzushi with a filling of spicy scallops. OMG, I can eat those until I pop!

You got 12 full maki rolls for $8? Man, that's a lot of sushi. Each roll was about 6 bites, right? That's 72 bites of sushi for $8. That would be considered a very good price here with maki rolls going for anywhere from $2 to $10 each, depending on contents.

Smoked Salmon nigiri would be my second most favorite! That's the one I make at home the most. Serious Yum!
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dumplings, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.