"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Dim Sum-Type Dumplings

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for dumplings? Not necessarily deep-fried, they can be boiled as well :)

Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

What filling do you prefer?

When I make dumplings, I usually make pork and cabbage fillings, and touch up with shrimp or mushroom, to add flavour. But pork and cabbage is the base.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

If you are looking for something like dumpling to go with a stew, go to Food Network.com and search for dumplings there are a lot of recipes there.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I make dumpling with flour or Bisquick for a dish like chicken and dumplings. I also make potato gnocchi and potato dumplings for sauerbraten. Then there is dim sum! So whatcha looking for?

Craig
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
What filling do you prefer?

When I make dumplings, I usually make pork and cabbage fillings, and touch up with shrimp or mushroom, to add flavour. But pork and cabbage is the base.

I havent made any in my whole life and the ones I've tried I don't remember their filling. I like any filling though, could it be pork and a variety of grated cheese?

Thank you for the reply!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
If you are looking for something like dumpling to go with a stew, go to Food Network.com and search for dumplings there are a lot of recipes there.

Im looking for the type of dumplings that are eaten alone, with soy sauce or other dressings. You know?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Sounds delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I make dumpling with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings. I also make potato dumplings for sauerbraten. Then there is dim sum! So whatcha looking for?

Craig
All of those sound delicious. I'd love to learn about the potato dumplings and the dumplings with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings!
Forgive me for my culinary ignorance, what is Dim Sum? Thank's for the quick reply :)
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nall View Post
All of those sound delicious. I'd love to learn about the potato dumplings and the dumplings with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings!
Forgive me for my culinary ignorance, what is Dim Sum? Thank's for the quick reply :)
Dim sum refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Dim sum refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables.
Hello Timothy, thank you for explaining that. I understood easily and googled immediately some images, they look delicious ! Are they very similar to the flour dumplings Craig is talking about?

On the subject of your signature, I LOVE SUSHI! I ate sushi at a restaurant today, 12-roll for 8 dollars. Kind of expensive but that's how food is priced in Latin America. It was a fried sushi, with tempura shrimp, plantain, cream cheese and bacon! Yummy. What is your favorite type of sushi?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nall View Post
Hello Timothy, thank you for explaining that. I understood easily and googled immediately some images, they look delicious ! Are they very similar to the flour dumplings Craig is talking about?

On the subject of your signature, I LOVE SUSHI! I ate sushi at a restaurant today, 12-roll for 8 dollars. Kind of expensive but that's how food is priced in Latin America. It was a fried sushi, with tempura shrimp, plantain, cream cheese and bacon! Yummy. What is your favorite type of sushi?
Hi Nall, good to meetcha! The flour type dumplings are just strips of flour and water, basically, with no filling. They are traditionally eaten with broth dishes like Boiled Chicken and such.

The Chinese version of dumplings are Filled pastries. Dim Sum is a perfect example of them. I've had Dim Sum of maybe a hundred types of fillings. The fillings can be almost anything and it's a standard manner of getting rid of "Leftovers" in china. Dice em up, add some veggies and wrap them for Dim Sum!

My favorite type of sushi? Oh man, that's a hard one to answer, because I love almost any type. I guess gunkenzushi with a filling of spicy scallops. OMG, I can eat those until I pop!

You got 12 full maki rolls for $8? Man, that's a lot of sushi. Each roll was about 6 bites, right? That's 72 bites of sushi for $8. That would be considered a very good price here with maki rolls going for anywhere from $2 to $10 each, depending on contents.

Smoked Salmon nigiri would be my second most favorite! That's the one I make at home the most. Serious Yum!

Tags
dumplings, other