ISO: Eggplant appetizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My parents aren't thrilled about the taste of eggplant. I love it. They've eaten it as little eggplant pizzas. Eaten it by itself, they hate, so I want to combine it with something to lessen its taste. I'm making a nice dinner for them with a Chinese theme, so, ideally, a Chinese appitizer with eggplant. I've thought of spiced eggplant but want to have something where the eggplant is more of a "second-class citizen" in the appitizer. I want them to recognize it's there by appearence but not a lot by taste. I don't want to add in loads of spices to drown it out though. I want it to have a nice appearence mostly with the eggplant being mellowed down in taste.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I am confused. Your parents don't particularly like eggplant. But for some reason, which I fail to understand, you feel compelled to serve it to them. But to be kind, you wnat to disguise the taste but not the appearance so they will know they are being served something they don't care for.

Huh?

I feel compelled to serve it to them since they ate a meal containing eggplant a while ago and loved it, simply because they couldn't taste the eggplant in it. So, I want to try that again. I'm not entirely sure why I want to.

I've had a wonderful dish of battered and fried eggplant in the chinese black bean sauce. I suppose you could do it as strips or rounds. The sauce could be a dipping sauce. As for recipes for this idea...I'm sure a web search for the frying medium and the sauce will not be difficult. Often they use lotus flour (lotus root flour, but I bet a rice flour would work fine. peanut oil. and the fermented black bean sauce is a standard recipe. good luck

Here's a great one that my aunt shared with me--it's good this time of year when you have a garden surplus, too!

Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta

1 medium eggplant (peeled and sliced ¼” thick)
2 medium green squash (sliced ¼” thick)
2 medium yellow squash (sliced ¼” thick)
2 peppers (red, green, orange or yellow)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 loaf crusty bread sliced about 1/2"
fresh basil chopped, chiffonade
Parmesan cheese
salt
Freshly ground black pepper
½ c olive oil
1/8 c balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Brush vegetables and bread slices with ½ of the olive oil. Spread/rub about ½ of the garlic on the bread.

Season vegetables and bread with salt and pepper on both sides. Let stand at room temperature while preheating a grill. Put vegetables and bread on grill and flip after grill marks appear on the face-down side (this only takes a few minutes, watch closely!).

Arrange bread and veggies on platter.

Put remaining 2 cloves of garlic, vinegar, and mustard in a food processor on high. Add ¼ c of olive oil slowly to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over vegetables only--not bread or it will get soggy.

Sprinkle vegetables and bread with basil and Parmesan cheese.

You can also finely chop the grilled vegetables and mix together, then top the bread with the veggies before serving.

To put my two cents in...

I like rough chopped eggplant sauted in a sweet miso sauce. Mix white miso with a bit of rice vinegar and sugar (or honey). Saute the eggplant until soft and then add the sauce until caramelized. Serve with shredded cabbage and top with sesame. Tasty!

There's a Turkish dish called "Imam Bayaldi," that has eggplant with a lot of other ingredients and spices. Maybe they would like something like that? I don't have a recipe offhand, but I know at least several will pop up if you google that name.

Back
Top Bottom