"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
Cook

ISO: Eggplant appetizer

My parents aren't thrilled about the taste of eggplant. I love it. They've eaten it as little eggplant pizzas. Eaten it by itself, they hate, so I want to combine it with something to lessen its taste. I'm making a nice dinner for them with a Chinese theme, so, ideally, a Chinese appitizer with eggplant. I've thought of spiced eggplant but want to have something where the eggplant is more of a "second-class citizen" in the appitizer. I want them to recognize it's there by appearence but not a lot by taste. I don't want to add in loads of spices to drown it out though. I want it to have a nice appearence mostly with the eggplant being mellowed down in taste.

Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Head Chef

Sorry, I am confused. Your parents don't particularly like eggplant. But for some reason, which I fail to understand, you feel compelled to serve it to them. But to be kind, you wnat to disguise the taste but not the appearance so they will know they are being served something they don't care for.

Huh?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Head Chef

If your parents dislike it so much Why serve it at all to them.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Head Chef

Ahhhh, perhaps the Grasshopper is teaching the Masters? LOL!

Anyway, I think it's Uncle Bob who makes Eggplant Fries. I haven't tried them yet, and I don't have his recipe, but this one looks good to me. Chinese Eggplant Fries - Allrecipes

Good luck!

Lee
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Cook

I feel compelled to serve it to them since they ate a meal containing eggplant a while ago and loved it, simply because they couldn't taste the eggplant in it. So, I want to try that again. I'm not entirely sure why I want to.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I've had a wonderful dish of battered and fried eggplant in the chinese black bean sauce. I suppose you could do it as strips or rounds. The sauce could be a dipping sauce. As for recipes for this idea...I'm sure a web search for the frying medium and the sauce will not be difficult. Often they use lotus flour (lotus root flour, but I bet a rice flour would work fine. peanut oil. and the fermented black bean sauce is a standard recipe. good luck
Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Master Chef

Here's a great one that my aunt shared with me--it's good this time of year when you have a garden surplus, too!

Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta

1 medium eggplant (peeled and sliced thick)
2 medium green squash (sliced thick)
2 medium yellow squash (sliced thick)
2 peppers (red, green, orange or yellow)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 loaf crusty bread sliced about 1/2"
fresh basil chopped, chiffonade
Parmesan cheese
salt
Freshly ground black pepper
c olive oil
1/8 c balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Brush vegetables and bread slices with of the olive oil. Spread/rub about of the garlic on the bread.

Season vegetables and bread with salt and pepper on both sides. Let stand at room temperature while preheating a grill. Put vegetables and bread on grill and flip after grill marks appear on the face-down side (this only takes a few minutes, watch closely!).

Arrange bread and veggies on platter.

Put remaining 2 cloves of garlic, vinegar, and mustard in a food processor on high. Add c of olive oil slowly to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over vegetables only--not bread or it will get soggy.

Sprinkle vegetables and bread with basil and Parmesan cheese.

You can also finely chop the grilled vegetables and mix together, then top the bread with the veggies before serving.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes!!!! Miss Baker. I was just sitting here thinking grilled eggplant, bread, mozzarella, maybe some tomato slices!! Thanks!!! Copied!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

To put my two cents in...

I like rough chopped eggplant sauted in a sweet miso sauce. Mix white miso with a bit of rice vinegar and sugar (or honey). Saute the eggplant until soft and then add the sauce until caramelized. Serve with shredded cabbage and top with sesame. Tasty!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

I am posting great (IMHO) recipe in a separate thread look up there.

Tags
None