ISO: Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I am looking for a TNT recipe. I have tried to make this only one other time and I used a packaged seasoning and it was NASTY!! Too much salt!!

Anyone that likes avocados have a recipes?
Maybe.....Jkath......Happyavocado....

I'm sure Happy Avocado will be along to help you out. In the mean time, I am no expert on guacomole but this is what I do:

1 fresh avocado ( should be soft to the touch), moosh it up with a fork, leaving some chunks
scallions, as much as you like sliced thin
chili powder, as much as you like
mayo, dont use too much or it will lose the avocado flavor...thats about it! I eat it with nacho chips, or put it on a nacho platter with chips, salsa, guacamole, cheese. Yumbo!

Thanks Amber!!
Also, how do you make them soften> I only picked ones that I could easily push in the stem, that's what my sister told me to do. I would call her, but, she's always too busy.

texasgirl said:
Thanks Amber!!
Also, how do you make them soften> I only picked ones that I could easily push in the stem, that's what my sister told me to do. I would call her, but, she's always too busy.

When you buy the avocado, it should be "ripe", soft to the touch. If you need to ripen it yourself, stick it in a brown paper bag for a day or two and that should ripen (soften) it.

If you stick your thumb into the skin it should leave an indentation. Actually "press" your thumb into it, dont stick your thumb in it:LOL:

Last edited:
If the avocados are that soft, they must be ready to use. I don't put much in my guacamole. I mash mine leaving it chunky, a clove of garlic per avocado, lime juice to make it the consistency I want and salt to taste. A bit of salsa or tomato may be added it you like it that way, but I prefer mine without. Easy but delicious.

Thanks licia! I don't like tomatoes myself, but dh and the boys do. I'll just make my own without. The avocados weren't mushy, I was just able to push the stem in.

Here's the way I make it:

Mush a couple avacados
Add a couple tablespoons finely chopped onion
A glove or two of crushed garlic
A diced tomatoe if there are fresh ones available
Squeeze the juice of a lime over the top
Salt to taste (important not to leave this out!)

Stir / smash until it's the consistancy you like

mmm Now I'm craving some!

:heart:
Z

oooh, another avocado thread!:)yeah!

i made guac for my lunch today. i mashed up some avocados, added a little bit of finely chopped red onion, fresh lime juice and salt and fresh cracked pepper. IMO avocados are so good that they dont need a whole lot of spicing up. sometimes if i am feeling fancy i add a pinch of garlic powder, or some fresh, chopped garlic, or a small amount of chopped tomato (like one tomato to four or five avocados) or a tiny amount of chopped jalepeno. be aware that some people think that adding things like tomatos to guac is blasphemy.:rolleyes: i just think its yummy. i have also added a dollop of sour cream to guac... not my preference, but some people love a little extra creamy-ness in their avocado dips.

my friend and i have an ongoing debate about whether lemons or limes are better in quacamole. i think that lemons are too strong and acidic and that limes add just the right amount of tartness. plus, i believe that lime is more traditional.... she says that i am crazy and that the lemony flavor is what makes it good. lol, well, whatever your preference... add some citrus.

oops, not really a recipe, is it... more like avocado advice. i dont know how much of any ingredient i put in... i just taste it as i go and make sure its good!

I made this recipe the other day when visiting my family and it was devoured within 30 minutes. I don't have exact measurements, I just tasted as I went and adjusted to my taste.

Alvocado's cut into squares
lime juice
garlic chopped
jalapeno
cilantro
onion
tomato cut into chunks
salt and pepper

I believe the keys to great guacamole are
  • good, ripe avocados
  • lime juice
  • small amount of freshly minced garlic
  • salt
I've been known to add tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, or finely diced jalapeno to spice it up a bit. You can add diced onion, cilantro, or tomato, too. Just work off of the base above to suit it to your liking. I would mash the avocados more to make it creamier than add anything like sour cream or mayonnaise. My $0.02. :)

Drew

Thank you everyone for sharing your ways of making this.Mish, I loved that!! He's so cute. Thank you for sharing.

I think I'll trying adding lime to my guacamole next time. Good tip!
Mish, that link was cute!

Texas,

This isn't guac but it was one my dad use to love...We make it every time we have a party or holiday in his memory and because we cannot do without it:) The kids also put it on their tacos and burritos.
I'll give you the recipe using 1 avocado with my group we usually use 4 avocados:LOL:
1-ripe avocado..hass is best
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
2-tab. evoo
1-tea. worcestershire sauce
about 1/2 c. mayo plus 2-3 tab. this is hard to measure out..I like a little more mayo than do my girls..so I'd say try a 1/2 cup then add or take away the next time...
salt
Mash avocado, add rest of ingredients, slice up a french or sour dough baggette and enjoy
kadesma

Avocado
Finely minced onion and or scallion
Garlic (i make a paste by smashing up with salt)
Lime juice
Finely minced jalepeno or a touch of hot sauce
finely minced cilantro
salt and pepper

Recently I have been adding a t (or more) of jerk paste and omitting salt and hot pepper. It's yummy.

jennyema said:
Avocado
Finely minced onion and or scallion
Garlic (i make a paste by smashing up with salt)
Lime juice
Finely minced jalepeno or a touch of hot sauce
finely minced cilantro
salt and pepper

Recently I have been adding a t (or more) of jerk paste and omitting salt and hot pepper. It's yummy.
Jenny,
I like the looks of your recipe, will have to try it ..I just picked up 4 avocados at 39 cents each...Can't not make it now :LOL: Thanks for sharing...
kadesma

texasgirl said:
ooooo, sounds good kadesma!!
I'll definately try that next time. Thanks for sharing that!!
Your welcome, it's a favorite here...
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom