"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
ISO - help w/jalapeno poppers

So im looking to make jalapeño poppers for the superbowl. i tried a test run but they didnt come out so hot and i had difficulty correcting the problem. I'd like to use a deep fry batter, instead of bread crumbs, as a coating. the restaurant down the street does this and they taste so much better.

anyhow, my issue is, either the jalapeno is cooked enough and is still crunchy, or the outside is charred. my recipe is basically:

- Jalapeno's
- cream cheese
- shredded cheddar
- bacon(cooked and cut into bits)
- flour

then the batter:
flour, cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil.

basically i melt the cheeses and combine with bacon. slit and stuff the peppers. coat in flour, then dip in the batter and deep fry for 2-3 minutes.

i guess i somehow need to cook the jalapeno more, maybe ahead of time. i tried doing this ina pan and baking it but it either just roasted or got too soft and was to hard to work with...

i think i may try boiling them in water first... anyone have any suggestions? Also, the batter didnt stick to the pepper so easily...

Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Are you using fresh or pickled jalapenos?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14 View Post
So im looking to make jalapeño poppers for the superbowl. i tried a test run but they didnt come out so hot and i had difficulty correcting the problem. I'd like to use a deep fry batter, instead of bread crumbs, as a coating. the restaurant down the street does this and they taste so much better.

anyhow, my issue is, either the jalapeno is cooked enough and is still crunchy, or the outside is charred. my recipe is basically:

- Jalapeno's
- cream cheese
- shredded cheddar
- bacon(cooked and cut into bits)
- flour

then the batter:
flour, cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil.

basically i melt the cheeses and combine with bacon. slit and stuff the peppers. coat in flour, then dip in the batter and deep fry for 2-3 minutes.

i guess i somehow need to cook the jalapeno more, maybe ahead of time. i tried doing this ina pan and baking it but it either just roasted or got too soft and was to hard to work with...

i think i may try boiling them in water first... anyone have any suggestions? Also, the batter didnt stick to the pepper so easily...
I would bake them instead of boiling. I think boiling will cause them to separate and lose their skins, meat would get soft. You need the skins to hold them together. Lay them in a shallow pan and pop in a hot oven until they are good and hot. Let them cool then stuff and fry.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Try frying them at a lower temperature so the inside cooks before the batter burns
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage™ View Post
Are you using fresh or pickled jalapenos?
fresh.......
Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Blanch your peppers and shock to cool. Then Stuff and batter. I do a very similar no frill snack(especially since Super Bowl is coming) with a very similar recipe.

If you want something different for a filling, i use what you do but add crab and grilled corn.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Blanch your peppers and shock to cool. Then Stuff and batter. I do a very similar no frill snack(especially since Super Bowl is coming) with a very similar recipe.

If you want something different for a filling, i use what you do but add crab and grilled corn.
blanching... this is putting them in some simmering vinegar correct? how long?

what is "shocking to cool"

thanks for the tips!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

shocking is when you put the veggies in ice water to stop the cooking process. A bowl of water with some ice cubes works. I do mine in cold running tap water since I can't get access to ice easily here.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14 View Post
blanching... this is putting them in some simmering vinegar correct? how long?
No blanching isn't meant to be done in vinegar. You just use boiling water. Drop the peppers into the boiling water for a short time (maybe as short as 10-15 seconds for your purposes), lift them out and quickly drop them into a deep bowl of water with ice cubes.

Play around with the boiling time, too long will make the skins come right off. Actually, blanching is often used to remove skins on tomatoes, peaches and the like.

You may be thinking vinegar because some people add a drop of vinegar to the boiling water for poached eggs?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
As jill said, no vin, just good ol H2O.

Tags
None