"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Question ISO Mini Hamburger/Hotdog Bun Recipe????

I am looking for an EASY bread recipe that I could make mini hotdog and hamburger buns out of. Am planning on making appetizers for my nephew's wedding reception and found a recipe that shows cutsie little hamburgers with a pickle, slice of tomato and lettice on it and then a toothpick holding it all together. Unfortunately it just says something like "use small dinner rolls" and just tells how to make the hamburger patty. Does anyone have an easy recipe or idea?

My sister and I will be making just appetizers for his party (200 invites....ARGGG) and I have been testing out different appetizer recipes on my poor family. Have found some nice ones and some not so nice ones and then we WON'T talk about the dog turns up nose at disasters.......sigh.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Master Chef

lol, it's okay, icymist. i'm sure your family loves taste-testing your food! BTW, welcome to the site. it's an awesome place. take off your coat and stay awhile!
as for the rolls, i had just seen a rachel ray show where she just used dinner rolls for her mini burgers.
i like to use the mini Hawiian rolls for cheese sammiches, but they're pretty sweet.
i'll think on this one for awhile, and in the lay-time, i'm sure someone else will be able to help you out.

Old 05-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
Head Chef

I have made mini buns with frozen bread dough and they worked out great and the cost won't be bad. After the dough thaws, cut the dough to sm portions and shape for buns and let rise and bake. You can make them what ever size you like.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks guys, appreciate the fast response and I just may end up doing what you suggested Thumpershere2 :)
Old 05-26-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Hello - I'm not sure about the size of US burger buns - but if you wanted to save time (and with catering for 200, I think time would be of the essence!) - why not cut a normal sized bun into the usual two halves, and then use a small pastry cutter (scone cutter or biscuit/cookie cutter.... not sure of correct terminology) to cut circles out of the tops and bottoms? A lot quicker!
Old 05-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
Sous Chef

May do that Ishbel. :) By the way.....no haggis around is there?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Head Chef

Hi IcyMist.

Think if it were me I would go to Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, or any other warehouse type store and see what they had. They may have what you need in quantity, even if you have to cut them in half or so (as Ishbel said).

When you get time, could you please post your winners? Am sure we would all love to learn about them.

Good luck and nice to have you here.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
May do that Ishbel. :) By the way.....no haggis around is there?
Not at the moment. We usually only eat it in the winter - oh and serve it to the tourists all summer!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Note to Self.....If I am ever lucky enough to visit Scotland in the summer, learn to talk like a native.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm not going to go into the discussion about haggis being nice to eat..... when you've got time, do a search here, we discussed it (at length, I recall) a while back!

Talk like a native? Jings, even summy us natives cannae talk like natives!

Tags
None