"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Oktoberfest Appetizer Suggestions

We're invited to an Oktoberfest / beer tasting party. Guests are requested to bring a six of their favorite beer and an appetizer / snack. I'm not much of a beer drinker (except after a warm day ride or cutting the lawn), but I can fake that part. I'm really ignorant of German food, and would like to take something appropriate, but not the cliche of sausage and sauerkraut. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Little mini tartlets of german onion pie, could throw in some tiny cubes of black forest ham too. Use the tins that are for 24 little tarts/muffins, purchased or made pastry dough, use a round cookie cutter a bit bigger, or make up a cream cheese/butter/flour dough and press in, I'll find the recipe for that if you are interested.

Little 1 or 2 bite squares of pumpernickel or rye with black forest ham, maybe some butterkaese cheese, and german mustard. Square up the whole slices of bread, might want to toast a bit, place the mustard, ham, cheese if using, top with another slice of bread or leave open face, then cut up into whatever portions you decide on. Maybe even a thin slice of pickle on top, especially if you leave open faced. Skewer regardless with picks, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GPTBT0...a-350444261036 .

Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

How about a tray of cheese(s) and/or sliced sausages and German mustards on rustic crackers?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the onion pie idea. You can also make it like a tart and cut it into squares. The aunt of one of our German exchange students made one to go with afternoon coffee when we visited them in Potsdam.

Here's one recipe: http://www.theomaway.com/main-dishes...ipe-authentic/

Soft pretzels with homemade mustard would be fun, too.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Master Chef

How about a liverwurst spread or a cheese spread with some rye bread or crisp crackers.

I like this knockoff of the Hungarian Liptauer cheese, caraway seeds and beer seem to go together.

Liptauer Cheese Spread - Recipe - Cooks.com
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Executive Chef

If you have a way to keep food warm/hot, you could make kaesespatzle, which is a german mac and cheese using spatzle, caramelized onions, butterkaese or emmenthaler, and sometimes bacon or ham. It could be put in foil liners in either mini or regular muffin sizes, baked and served warm. I can go into more detail if interested. We are going to have this for dinner next week using the speck we cured and smoked.

One of the local German restaurants actually does have GG's idea of soft pretzels, they make small ones, on their appy menu.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
Head Chef

Big, soft pretzels with a beer cheese dip. Yum!

CD
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
Master Chef

Beer!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
Master Chef

One traditional German appetizer is Spargel mit Schinken, asparagus spears wrapped in very thinly sliced Westphalian ham, which you can usually find in a German grocery or deli. You can substitute prosciutto if you can't find Westphalian. The only difference is the Westphalian ham is smoked.

For a special treat, spread each ham slice with a thin layer of mascarpone cheese before rolling it up, or serve the Spargel mit Schinken with a cheese based dipping sauce.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
Wine Guy

One of my favorite German appetizers is Zwiebelkuchen, which is an onion pie of sorts. Not totally different from the onion tart suggested above. It's a traditional autumn dish that pairs well with beer or wine. The recipe below has you making it in a springform pan, but I would use a square pan lined with parchment, in order to better control the serving sizes.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/zwiebe...man-onion-pie/

Tags
None