"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Sandwiches for Ladies Who Lunch

I belong to Questers, a group that gathers to discuss antiques, historical sites,etc. and just to have a good time. We are meeting at my house next month and I'm serving lunch, as is our custom. Will you share some of your favorite sandwich spread recipes with me, or ideas for those little tea sandwiches? They don't have to be fancy, just taste good. I have already used curry chicken salad and a tuna spread and I'm looking for something different or variations on chicken or tuna. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If you want to carry on with chicken, try chicken and bacon. There is always the classic egg mayonnaise filling (I like to spice it up a little with some mustard or paprika.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I like to make a chicken salad with a little bit of celery, onions, mayo of course, mandarin oranges (canned), and Major Gray's mango chutney. Make smaller pate a choux to make them more or less a couple to three bites.

You MUST pierce (edited to say you have to more than "pierce" them - you have to cut a slit in them) them with a knife to release the steam and they can be made a day or two ahead - just make sure they are TOTALLY cool before bagging.

I forgot the toasted slivered almonds!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Does it have to be sandwiches? The Barefoot Contessa had an episode yesterday called "Ladies Who Lunch" I can't get the chicken salad recipe to come up, but the cheddar-dill scones sound great and would be wonderful with chicken-and-cheese quiche, or quiche Lorraine. HTH.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Cook

egg & cress...I adore them!!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Paula Deen (Dean, who knows which is right?) Did a show with a bunch of little finger sandwiches, I will try to find the episode.... I have slow internet.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Pimento & Cheese with Garlic...on white
Egg Salad and/or Egg & Olive Salad... on light wheat
Pineapple and Cream Cheese...on white
Ham and cheese...on dark rye

Bread can be cut into several shapes...or find commercial tea sandwich breads...

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
It went better than I thought it would!!

Recipes : Engagement Ring Finger Sandwiches : Food Network

When she says "garnish" at the end, what she did was cut them into little hearts / circles / squares with cookie cutters and rolled / dipped the edges in the garnish stuff. They were very cute!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I have slow internet.
Where can I sign up for that? And it's Deen.

Also, if you make ham salad and mix with pineapple cream cheese it's pretty tasty!

You can also take the small Pepperidge Farm Party loaves and place a dollop of mayonnaise on them and a couple thin slices of red onion and bake. Unusually good.

Make a mixture of cream cheese, capers, red onion (and some caper juice) and nova salmon and make little sandwiches.

Focaccia or sourdough with salad greens, roasted red pepper, slices of water-packed mozzarella with a basil oil drizzle (olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, fresh basil leaves in a blender or food processor - don't keep more than about 1 week in fridge).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My girls love cucumber slices with cream cheese and pepper jam..I'm wondering how it would be to chop the cucumbers, mix with cream cheese or mascarpone add a good helping of the pepper jam and then serve on buttered pumpernickle or rye? Shrimp or crab toasts are nice,You can buy the large round cracker breads in most grocery stores..These have been popular for years, but are wonderful for parties..I make one where I mix cream cheese with curry,garlic onion and any type of chutney apread on the cracker bread top with watercress or arugula, roll and cut into slices..It usually goes first around here..If I think of any more I'll post..Good luck with your party.
kadesma

Tags
None