ISO Sandwiches for Ladies Who Lunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shortchef

Senior Cook
I belong to Questers, a group that gathers to discuss antiques, historical sites,etc. and just to have a good time. We are meeting at my house next month and I'm serving lunch, as is our custom. Will you share some of your favorite sandwich spread recipes with me, or ideas for those little tea sandwiches? They don't have to be fancy, just taste good. I have already used curry chicken salad and a tuna spread and I'm looking for something different or variations on chicken or tuna. Thanks!

If you want to carry on with chicken, try chicken and bacon. There is always the classic egg mayonnaise filling (I like to spice it up a little with some mustard or paprika.

I like to make a chicken salad with a little bit of celery, onions, mayo of course, mandarin oranges (canned), and Major Gray's mango chutney. Make smaller pate a choux to make them more or less a couple to three bites.

You MUST pierce (edited to say you have to more than "pierce" them - you have to cut a slit in them) them with a knife to release the steam and they can be made a day or two ahead - just make sure they are TOTALLY cool before bagging.

:ohmy: I forgot the toasted slivered almonds!!!!

Last edited:
Does it have to be sandwiches? The Barefoot Contessa had an episode yesterday called "Ladies Who Lunch" :cool: I can't get the chicken salad recipe to come up, but the cheddar-dill scones sound great and would be wonderful with chicken-and-cheese quiche, or quiche Lorraine. HTH.

Paula Deen (Dean, who knows which is right?) Did a show with a bunch of little finger sandwiches, I will try to find the episode.... I have slow internet.

Pimento & Cheese with Garlic...on white
Egg Salad and/or Egg & Olive Salad... on light wheat
Pineapple and Cream Cheese...on white
Ham and cheese...on dark rye

Bread can be cut into several shapes...or find commercial tea sandwich breads...

Have Fun!

I have slow internet.
Where can I sign up for that? :LOL: And it's Deen.

Also, if you make ham salad and mix with pineapple cream cheese it's pretty tasty!

You can also take the small Pepperidge Farm Party loaves and place a dollop of mayonnaise on them and a couple thin slices of red onion and bake. Unusually good.

Make a mixture of cream cheese, capers, red onion (and some caper juice) and nova salmon and make little sandwiches.

Focaccia or sourdough with salad greens, roasted red pepper, slices of water-packed mozzarella with a basil oil drizzle (olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, fresh basil leaves in a blender or food processor - don't keep more than about 1 week in fridge).

My girls love cucumber slices with cream cheese and pepper jam..I'm wondering how it would be to chop the cucumbers, mix with cream cheese or mascarpone add a good helping of the pepper jam and then serve on buttered pumpernickle or rye? Shrimp or crab toasts are nice,You can buy the large round cracker breads in most grocery stores..These have been popular for years, but are wonderful for parties..I make one where I mix cream cheese with curry,garlic onion and any type of chutney apread on the cracker bread top with watercress or arugula, roll and cut into slices..It usually goes first around here..If I think of any more I'll post..Good luck with your party.
kadesma:)

I love making chicken salad ala Jason's Deli. It's chicken with mayo and crushed pineapple and slivered, toasted almonds. I like to serve it on a white country bread.

Here are my votes:

Ham salad (I adore this!)on rye

Egg salad with cress on white

Cream cheese and green olive on pumpernickle

(although KE's cream cheese with capers, red onion and salmon sounds good, too)

Lee

My goodness, so many good ideas--the ladies are in for a treat. Now all I have to do is try to decide which ones--they all sound delicious. Thank you!!

All of the posts sounds great. I love cream cheese and olive. I like to make chicken salad with a little curry, dried cranberries and scallions.

You can also make assorted fillings and spread them on flour tortillas, roll up, refrigerate until firm and slice into little "rings." Easy and great to make ahead of time.
Ooooh, yes, I had forgotten these. They are so pretty and easy to prepare ahead of time. I remember my friend told me this was something I absolutely couldn't screw up - spread a flour tortilla with cream cheese and then sprinkle with chopped green salad olives (the ones with pimentos). They are so yummy. I made them for my dad and he made them weekly for the last year of his life! They are addictive!

Do you remember, from years ago, the bread was sliced the long way, as for roll up sandwiches, but this went......put different fillings between the slices, then cover all with coloured cream cheese, and decorate with parsley, rose flower, etc. etc.

Ella, I remember that one. I think it was in my edition of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook. I never tried it, but it sounded as though it would taste (and look) delicious.

Can you get mini croissants? We got them in quebec by the bag for a luncheon. Really fun little things, less than 2 in long.

i used to do cucumber sandwhiches, without the crusts, cut into triangles or quarters. Brush the edges in mayo, and coat the edges in finely chopped parsley. We did the same with a liverwurst/ pate kind of spread, with really thinly sliced onions. They were really good.

The Pate a Choux is a great idea, can be made ahead of time, and filled with almost anything. There's no seafood mentioned so far. what if you did something like a Coquille St Jacques filling cut up small to fill them with? Or, what ;s the chicken one we used to make years ago and put in puff pastry shells?

Ella, my Mother did them for all showers . They were great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom