"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Head Chef

Some of my favorites:

Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms
Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes
Salmon Canapes
Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese

Will post any of these if you're interested.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Hi Essiebunny,

- crostini with (hot) mushrooms in cream sauce - can be prepared ahead of time and the mushrooms reheated;
- crostini with devilled chicken livers;
- crostini with scambled eggs and smoked haddock;
- crostini with cream cheese and smoked salmon - crostini can be prepared ahead of time (toasted/baked) and cream cheese and smoked salmon ahead of time so only place the mix on the crostini at the last minute;
- small tomatoes stuffed with tzatziki;
- small tomatoes stuffed with homous;
- small tomatoes stuffed with nutmeg seasoned spinach, pinenuts and ricotta, baked and served hot;
- small tomatoes filled with prawns in a marie rose sauce;
- hot bouchées of puff pastry filled with creamed mushrooms;
- hot bouchées of puff pastry filled with prawns in a mild curry sauce;
- dates stuffed with cream cheese;
- prunes, stoned, stuffed with mango chutney, wrapped in smoked bacon, - prepare in advance and refrigerate, baked until the bacon is crisp and served hot;
- celery - cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths and filled with Roquefort mixed with double cream and decorated with chopped walnuts;
- cucumber - peeled, halved, seeds scooped out, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths and filled with a mixture of cream cheese and smoked salmon, decorate each portion with a sprig of dill - cucmber can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. Cheese and smoked salmon mix can be prepared ahead of time. Use a piping bag fitted with a plain 1/2 - 1 inch nozzle to pipe the mixture into the cucumber;
- cucumber - peeled, halved, seeds scooped out, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths and filled with a mixture of cream cheese and finely chopped walnuts or toasted almonds. Decorate each piece with coriander or sauce vierge or chinese pickled ginger or sliced pimento or home baked red peppers or a touch of sweet chilli sauce;
- Guacamole with cruditées, hot spiced potato/sweet potato wedges;
- slivers of the VERY freshest salmon, tuna, halibut cured with lime juice served with a selection of sauces, i.e., Ceviche - WITH A

Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Hi All,
I hit a wrong button at the wrong time and got cut off mid sentence - apologies for this. Will need to wait and find out how much of my posting got through and what I need to add! And there was me thinking that I was on a roll! I was enjoying my moment of posting even if nobody else was - oh well - back to merry Scotland and re-runs of the Rockford Files.
All the best,
Archiduc
Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I really enjoy cream cheese topped with a dollop of jalepeno jelly on top of a stoned wheat thin cracker.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

You all are making me hungry.

Essiebunny, you've probably had dinner, but came across these cute little tomato tartlets... just had to share:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2942/tomato-tarts

Maybe next time?

The ingred amounts are a little vague, but definitely a recipe I want to play around with in the future.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I've chosen two. They all sound so good, I think that I'll have an appetizer party and try several more.
Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #17
Head Chef

Amy,

What temps would you bake these at?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Amy,

What temps would you bake these at?
Hi lyndalou. Hope this helps:

Oven Temperature Conversion Chart and Calculator
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
If you want to put on a show and have some fun at the same time for your appetizers, check out my profile pic. Cream cheese stuffed olives. They will make quite the splash and once you get going, only take a couple minutes each, and I also have made a cream cheese walrus (hey, I got bored, too bad lol) to go with them, as a set, they are too cute. I do not have a link or pic for the igloo, it didn't last long enough to get a picture. IF you'd like more detailed instructions or more pics PM me, and I'll get you the addy. It was very easy though. I simply removed the crusts from white bread, cut it into small (about an inch) squares and toasted some mozzerella cheese onto them, then i used a dab of cream cheese to stick them to the side of an upside down bowl and sort of staggered them or a brick effect, i stuck some on the front, placed my penguin army, walrus and igloo on a white serving platter, and laughed for days.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~emz~ View Post
I really enjoy cream cheese topped with a dollop of jalepeno jelly on top of a stoned wheat thin cracker.
Especially if it's Jalapeño Raspberry preserves!!!

Tags
None