"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Offer the vinegar on the side, along with a sweet chili sauce for the diner's preference.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Offer the vinegar on the side, along with a sweet chili sauce for the diner's preference.
I'm with you PF The recipe is great as is to my eyes.
ma

Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The sweet chili sauce is a great idea! I put the condiments on a lazy susan on the table so people can decide what to add (and, since I don't add salt, I usually have 2-3 varieties of salt on the table).
Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think any additional dressing should be up to the person eating. Your recipe is fantastic as is.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think any additional dressing should be up to the person eating. Your recipe is fantastic as is.
Thanks. It is a little "appy," easy to make, and, well, I'm quite proud of myself <g>.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Just an idea but maybe make the almonds spicy, sriracha and black pepper flavored maybe? Possibly even some ginger and aleppo would be good. Little butter, little sugar (just enough for everything to stick to the almonds) let it melt on med-low, then toss in the almonds with spices, dump out of the pan and let it all cool. Man, now I'm gonna go try this myself...
And depending on the acidity of the sauce and oranges maybe something acidic would brighten it up a bit?
Nice knifework on the supremes btw.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Just an idea but maybe make the almonds spicy, sriracha and black pepper flavored maybe? Possibly even some ginger and aleppo would be good. Little butter, little sugar (just enough for everything to stick to the almonds) let it melt on med-low, then toss in the almonds with spices, dump out of the pan and let it all cool. Man, now I'm gonna go try this myself...
And depending on the acidity of the sauce and oranges maybe something acidic would brighten it up a bit?
Nice knifework on the supremes btw.
Great ideas. The guests liked them as they were...one person said that it could almost be dessert. I find the blood oranges are a bit sweeter than regular ones. Tangerine or clementine segments would work, as would wild blueberries instead of the dried cranberries. I am going to repeat this sometime. Making 2 "trial" ones the night before helped refine not only the combo of flavors but also the "plating." Everyone was impressed by that--wow, this looks like s/thing you'd get at an upscale restaurant. Who doesn't like to hear that? I have concentrated lingonberry sauce and that made a difference. I think I would grate some lime zest over them when plating next time, but like the idea of making the almonds spicy! I love srirachi! Let us know if you make a variation of them and what you think! You could use other mushrooms. I used the "little" ones because it was a teaser starter. You can prep the mushrooms in advance, btw. And, I could see using baby arugala or even watercress instead of the spinach.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Since your friend is a vegetarian and not a vegan, a nice deviled egg on the side of the plate would add an additional bright color and one more layer of flavor.

Tags
other, vegetarian