"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Hmmm, as I suspected, it's an American invention! Still, using Killarney is a good marketing ploy, eh?

Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I appreciate everyoneís interest and hard work in trying to find the recipe for Killarney Sauce. Iíve already gotten more response than I was expecting. Unfortunately, it appears to be one of those recipes, like Auntdotís Marie Sauce, thatís too simple to be worth writing down. I think that Iím just going to have to swallow my pride and ask next time Iím at the restaurant. I always feel a little self conscious doing such things, but waiters are always looking for ways to get a better tip. If any of you are ever in the Phoenix, AZ area, be sure to go to Rula Bula located in downtown Tempe, and order Chips and Killarney Sauce followed by Sheppardís Pie. They have the best Sheppardís Pie that Iíve ever tasted. If I find out the recipe, I will be sure to post it. Thanks again for all of the help so far.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Ben - if you discover that Killarney Sauce has :
(a) Guiness or
(b) Irish Whiskey

in it - don't post the recipe. Just send me a bucketful!!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

BenCrow, I am going down to that area next month. If I have the time I will go by and also see if I can find out how they make the sauce for you.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:00 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

To Shunka

There are a lot of great restaurants in downtown Tempe and dontown Scottsdale worth checking out. Rula Bula is the best Irish restaurant that I have been to, but there are also a lot of great sushi restaurants worth checking out (oddly enough). If you like sushi, I would suggest Stingray in downtown Scottsdale. Ra is also a really good sushi restaurant with locations in both Tempe and Scottsdale. You should be able to find directions for all of these places online. If you have any questions about the Phoenix area, please feel free to ask on this forum. I have only lived here for about four months, but have done quite a bit of traveling and eating in that time. I hope that you enjoy your visit, though it is very hot right now.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:14 AM   #16
Executive Chef

There are quite a few shepherd's pie and cottage pie recipes on here - if you use the 'search' facility up on the darkblue strip at the top and type in shepherd's pie you'll find them. Maybe one of them will be similar to the one you eat in pubs. Frankly, I've never eaten cottage pie (made with minced beef) or shepherd's pie (ditto lamb) that comes anywhere near home made versions.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #17
Head Chef

Ben, one daughter lives in Mesa and works in Scottsdale. She loves sushi and also Irish fare; I will pass the info on to her. The other daughter (in Laveen) isn’t as adventurous with food.
I’ve lived my whole life in AZ; first 17 years in southeastern AZ, 4-1/2 years in the Phoenix area and the last 25 years up here in northern AZ.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I have been very impressed with the food since I have moved to Phoenix. My wife and I have both lived our entire lives between Louisiana and Mississippi, so it's nice to live in a place with so much variety (ie. not everything is deep fried). It's also nice to have stores with fresh, organic produce for my cooking. My only complaint would be the lack of variety and the extreme prices of seafood, though I guess we do live in a desert. The furthest north we have been so far is Sedona, which was beautiful. We hiked out to the Devil's Bridge which was very impressive. We are hoping to make it up to Flagstaff soon. I would like to get up in some higher/cooler elevations.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #19
Head Chef

I lived in (just outside of) Flagstaff for 13 years; it has changed quite a bit from what it was in the early 80s. I don't go there very often now, prefer Prescott. I do know that there used to be some very good places with gourmet cuisine that many would not think of Flagstaff as having. You just have to look past the usual fast food and chain places; downtown (for the most part) has the variety.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Success.....perhaps

The waiter at Rula Bula informed me that Killarney sauce is made of mayo, roasted red peppers, and sugar. I assume that it also has whipping cream because the sauce is to thin to be comprised mainly of mayo. I'm going to try to whip some up when I get the chance. I will post my results, though I'm not even sure that anyone is still looking at this thread.

Tags
None