Killarney Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am. :chef:

a few of my irish friends that i'd asked about it are now curious as to what it could've been. thanks for keeping us up on this.

they suggested that a mayo based dip, as they'd suspected, is more of a dutch thing, but irish chefs are being trained all over the world now (thanks to the celtic tiger), then returning home with great cuisine.

irish restaurants and pub grub aren't the same ol' "overcooked meat and boiled everything else" as they once were.

hmmm, or it could be that some guy in arizona decided to come up with a cool name for sweet pepper mayo dip...:)

BenCrow said:
The waiter at Rula Bula informed me that Killarney sauce is made of mayo, roasted red peppers, and sugar. I assume that it also has whipping cream because the sauce is to thin to be comprised mainly of mayo. I'm going to try to whip some up when I get the chance. I will post my results, though I'm not even sure that anyone is still looking at this thread.

Before you think about adding cream to adjust the texture, whip up the other ingredients in a blender and give it a test taste and determine the texture. You may find it's OK without the cream.

Ben, have you eaten at DPOV yet, and if you have what did you make of it? You will never find people that love what they do more than these guys. Incredibly talented.

If not, go when it's truffle season. Ivan goes from table to table and whatever is in front of you at the time will get a big ole pile of truffle shaved onto it. And I do mean whatever.

They have two kitchens, one above the other. Neither with A/C. Insane stuff.

It's not just the texture that makes me think to use cream. Their dip just doesn't taste strongly of mayo. There has got to be something thinning down the flavor. I have not had a chance to eat at DPOV yet. To be honest, I didn't even know it existed untill you mentioned it. I haven't had much of a chance to explore Phoenix proper yet. Most of our exploring has been in Scottsdale and Tempe. There is just too much to see around here. I'll be sure to check DPOV soon. I'll let you know how the sauce turns out when I have a chance. Thanks for all of your interest and advice.

Hmmm...

It would seem this is a heavily guarded secret, though I am now fascinated by this as well.

I have never had Killarney sauce myself but found a recipe commonly served with fish that is mayo, lime juice & chipotle or red peppers. I have no idea if this might be closer to the answer or not...

eh?

It wouldn't by chance be a killarney-type ale or red lager?

Back
Top Bottom