Lil Smokie Variations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
Anyone have any good smokie sauce recipes? I can always do the BBQ sauce, or chili sauce and grape jelly- BOOORRRINNNNGGG, but I like making new things. I found one on the net (and even found a new site to add!) that called for cranberry sauce, and I think I may also add a few fresh cranberries and/or orange zest, if I use the recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Shannon, here is a great recipe that was posted originally by jkath. I made it last year for the SuperBowl and it was a great hit. You could substitute the lil smokies for the kielbasa.

Jack Daniels Kielbasa

1 kielbasa (the real stuff, no turkey, no light....)

Boil in water 20 minutes to get the fat out. Dry on paper towels & cool. Cut into large-ish bite sized pieces.

In a pan, stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 3/4 cup light brown sugar & 1/2 cup Jack Daniels. Cook on low to med-low. When it's bubbly, add kielbasa. Cook, stirring about every minute or two for at least 45 minutes. (you don't want to scortch it) so it cooks down to a nice saucy consistency.

These are great appetizers. However, they are just as good if you make it the day before, keep in the fridge & then heat & serve.

Shannon, I slice up kielbasa and then put it on a piece of puff pastry add a small tea. of mustard fold the pastry to form a triangle and bake..I'd think you could do the same with the smokies and they would tste great with a sweet dipping sauce..
kadesma:rolleyes:

This is my own recipe for sweet and sour sauce. I hope that you like it. It is one of my favorites.

Sweet and Sour Lil Smokies

1 large package of lil Smokies
1 can (13 ½ oz.) pineapple chunks
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
½ cup vinegar

Drain pineapple and reserve liquid. Reserve pineapple chunks. Mix together brown sugar, ginger and cornstarch. Combine 1 cup of reserved pineapple liquid, vinegar, and soy sauce in pan. Bring liquid to a boil and whisk in brown sugar mixture. Stir constantly until mixture is thickened. Add lil smokies and reserved pineapple. Stir until lil smokies and pineapple are heated through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom