"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the things I don't like about marinated mushrooms is that the vinegar is too strong. When I do a marinade I use Chinese vinegar. Have you ever considered using crimini mushrooms? They are the brown baby portabello mushrooms.
My daughter used crimini to make MM for Christmas. I made a batch of my own for NYE. Delicious!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Master Chef

I use Kraft bottled, or Good Seasons, mixed up, with fresh mushrooms. I like it as a salad dressing, adding a few sliced olives and quartered artichoke hearts. Spoon it over the greens and top with a few peels of parmesan cheese.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My daughter used crimini to make MM for Christmas. I made a batch of my own for NYE. Delicious!
I love the crimini, but not to fond of the portabello. Although I have served them stuffed and cut into quarters. I used the stuffing you would use on your holiday bird. That was a surprise to the eaters. They were expecting the standard breadcrumb stuffing. Portabellos are so meaty that they required a heavy duty flavor for the stuffing.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Addie, crimini and portobello are the same mushroom. Portobellos are just allowed to get bigger before harvesting.

The flavor of the Portos is a bit stronger than the criminis and they are delicious.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, crimini and portobello are the same mushroom. Portobellos are just allowed to get bigger before harvesting.

The flavor of the Portos is a bit stronger than the criminis and they are delicious.
I know that. I think for me it is all the gills in the ports that turn me off. My kids love the ports. I am just not that crazy about them. I will serve them if I have company. But I will never buy one for just myself. I would rather have the criminis. They have a more delicate taste.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

I know that. I think for me it is all the gills in the ports that turn me off. My kids love the ports. I am just not that crazy about them. I will serve them if I have company. But I will never buy one for just myself. I would rather have the criminis. They have a more delicate taste.
Addie, have you scraped out the gills?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Addie, have you scraped out the gills?
Yes. Always do. They muddy up a dish if you don't.

Tags
mushrooms, recipe

Marinated Mushrooms This one makes me laugh every year. Of all the things I could make for my oldest daughter, she always wants marinated mushrooms. This is a tradition every Christmas. All it takes is two cans of whole mushrooms, and Italian salad dressing of your choice. Add to 1\2 litre jar and chill for a couple of days. Costs about two bucks. She loves the stuff. 3 stars 1 reviews