Buonasera, Good Afternoon,
Firstly, the word Meze, doesn´t translate to appetiser in actuality.
It signifies, the combination of colors & textures typical to the Mediterranean Countries, and is similar to Antipasti in Italian, Tapas in Spanish or Mezedes depending on dialect, in Arabic.
FALAFEL is a simple Mediterranean chick pea based vegetarian meze originating in Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Turkey, Syria and neighboring countries ...
Photo follows recipe.
250 grams of dry chick peas soaked in water ovenight
4 spring onions minced
2 cloves of garlic minced
15 grams of fresh chopped finely parsley
15 grams of fresh mint finely chopped
25 grams of fresh cilantro minced finely
1/4 tsp. dry Cayenne Piquant
2 tsps. cumin
2 tsps. coriander
1/2 tsp. yeast powder
Olive oil to sauté
1. cover the chickpeas with abundant water ovenight covered
2. drain the chickpeas well
3. sauté the spring onion, parsley, garlic, mint, cilantro in Evoo with the cumin, coriander, yeast and salt and mix these items in Food Processor 40 seconds until well combined
4. simmer the beans slowly until tender in salted water with salt and black freshly ground pepper
5. when beans are tender, drain well and place in food processor and combine very well
6. blend the two combinations and place in refrigerator overnight to firm
7. at room temperature: mold the " chickpea " dough in balls, as if making meatballs
8. heat the Olive Oil and sauté the balls until golden ( 3 to 4 mins. each )
9. serve with Pita and Labneh, Greek Yogurt with marine salt, orégano, thyme, A drizzle of Evoo and a chili pepper, cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives ...
And serve with a cold beer of choice or Lambrusco ...