"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Mini Empanadas idea

Sat down and decided on the appys for Thanksgiving The kids have asked for, mini empanadas,green blue cheese stuffed olives in puff pastry, and sausages in the puff pastry this is just from me..Who knows what will come from the others invited
For the empanadas there will be two fillings cheese with diced up apricots,raisins, and nuts and a beef with pine nuts,onions,garlic,mushrooms,parsley and garlic... to enclose the empanadas I just grabbed some of the pillsbury pie crusts already to go..Make at least 10 2-1/2 inch circles out of the pastry, crumble up or shred some gruyere,mix it with fruit,nuts..put some cheese mixture on the circle sprinkle with pepper, fold over and seal edges tightly and them brush with egg wash
bake in preheated oven400 10 min or til golden..For the meat empanadas just saute the meat,onions,mushrooms,garlic,parsley and pine nuts, let cool then place a small amount on your pastry, fold and continue as with the cheese empanadas...
For the olives, just wrap in strips of puff pastry and brush with egg wash bake at 400 til golden and puffed.
The sauge can be any pre-cooked sausage, kielbasa, hot sausage, just wrap in puff pastry cook til puffed and golden, then slice and serve with several kinds of mustards or a chilli mayo..
kadesma

Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I love empanadas from restaurants but never tried to make them myself...going to put the meat/cheese ones on my list! Thanks!

lpb

Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
They sound yummy Kadesma. I made some apple empanadas with puff pastry the other day...so gooooooooooood. My empanadas will be out of Granny Smith apple and caramel filling this Thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
They sound yummy Kadesma. I made some apple empanadas with puff pastry the other day...so gooooooooooood. My empanadas will be out of Granny Smith apple and caramel filling this Thanksgiving.
Dina, I love the idea of the puff pastry and the apple and caramel sounds so yummy..Thanks for the idea..I've always just used pie dough but I'm going to switch for Thanksgiving and use the puff pastry, it should be much lighter and crispy.Now I can hardly wait

kadesma
Old 11-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpb View Post
I love empanadas from restaurants but never tried to make them myself...going to put the meat/cheese ones on my list! Thanks!

lpb
Thanks lpb,
I hope you get a chance to try these..We love them.

kadesma
Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

That's sounds like a great idea. I may have to borrow it for my after shopping Black Friday party!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

OK, duly printed. I love empanadas. Did a mixture last week when I was away. Diced leftover pork loin, roasted onion marmalade, and some chopped up figs that had been marinating in port. Never quite got around to making empanadas, but I will some day. . Thanks for the ideas!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla17 View Post
That's sounds like a great idea. I may have to borrow it for my after shopping Black Friday party!
Please do Layla, we just love them and there are so many filling ideas out there.
kadesma
Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
OK, duly printed. I love empanadas. Did a mixture last week when I was away. Diced leftover pork loin, roasted onion marmalade, and some chopped up figs that had been marinating in port. Never quite got around to making empanadas, but I will some day. . Thanks for the ideas!
Welcome Like your mixture idea..Now I'm drooling and want to go make some...
kadesma
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Kadesma,
If you want an original recipe for empanadas, let me know.
I was born in Argentina, my Mom makes some of the best you can have. Also, I think Saveur magazine had a section dedicated to Argentinian food way back 5 yrs ago and listed some recipes, if I am not mistaken was in their issue No 36.
You can bake them or fry them, you can make them "dry" or "moist" and also sweet, the variations are endless. Some of the most popular are meat, spinach and cheese, ham and cheese, dulce de leche, etc. etc.

Tags
None