"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Everymom

Thanks for the tips Breezy. I am glad you shared that with us. I like to avoid the gooey mess myself!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

You're welcome. And no offense meant to the suggestion made for fresh mozzarella & Panko - but I've tried both, & more than once, & it just hasn't worked out well at all. And considering the expense of both, I'd rather just stick to the cheaper block mozzy & commercial dried seasoned breadcrumbs.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE fresh mozzarella & buy it frequently (especially the true buffalo type when I can find it), but definitely not for a fried recipe like this. And I also use Panko crumbs as well, but have found that with both fried mozzarella sticks & fried oysters, the Panko crumbs seem to burn before the interior is ready. Now this could definitely be because I'm doing something wrong, but since I don't have any problems when I use other crumbs, I'm not willing to risk my Panko trying - lol!!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #13
Everymom

I haven't had true mozzarella since I was in Italy. I know there is a market in town that sells it, but the parking down there is so horrendous I don't even bother. You have me thinking about it now though.

Hey, when you say block mozza, do you mean like Kraft? Just checking.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Thanx!!

I have been interested in getting my hands on a receipe, for Mozarella sticks, for a while.
Thanx!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
Head Chef

Talking

Here in Southern California the only thing that I can think of is there is a very nice restaurant in the San Fernando Valley and they serve the most wonderful mozarella sticks.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I should have specified that when I triple-bread my fresh mozz. with panko, I do not freeze them, or bake them. They immediately get tossed into the deep fryer. You have to use the appropriate cooking methods depending on your preparation; freezing then frying isn't a good idea with panko, b/c they will burn, like breezy mentioned.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Also, if you are freezing your Mozz sticks, and then deep-frying, only cook them for a couple of minutes. Once the cheese starts to bubble out through the breading, they're done, and get them out in a hurry! Just a few second's time will have all the cheese cooked out into the oil, with only the breading "shell" left.

This is from experience at a couple different restaurants.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #18
Master Chef

Alix - when I said "block", I meant the Polly-O & Sorrento, etc., types. I've used both of those with equal success - both the whole milk & the part-skim. The larger rectangular blocks put out by Kraft & some supermarkets as "house" brands are a bit too dry/rubbery in my opinion, but then I've never used them to make mozzy sticks so can't say for sure how they'd turn out.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #19
Cook

Battered

I have concocted a recipe for battered mozzarella sticks, using fresh mozzarella. Will this work? This recipe is currently untested. If it doesn't work, I will be happy to revise the recipe.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #20
Head Chef

Any breading will work as long as not too thick. Breading is porous and cooks quickly. But it should not be a dip batter. The key to this recipe is that the cheese has to be frozen because it heats so quickly. We use string cheese.

Tags
None