Mozzarella sticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. The mozzarella sticks they use in many pizzerias, however, don't look breaded, but battered, like onion rings often are. I have two questions. Are these cheese sticks I'm talking about battered? And if so, will fresh mozzarella work if battered?

Also, believe it or not, there is such a thing as beer battered mozzarella sticks. There are recipes for it, companies that make it, and restaurants that serve it. Although my batter doesn't call for beer, I guess there is such a thing as mozzarella sticks dipped in batter and deep-fried.:chef: Thoughts?

I can truthfully say that Americans will deep fry anything edible. We will deep fry every part of the meal too, from the appetizers to the dessert. We will deep fry meat, fish, poultry, and seafood. We will deep fry cheese. We will deep fry sandwiches.There is a restaurant in Pennsylvania that deep fries hot dogs!

As appetizers, we'll deep fry chicken wings, shrimp, jueienned vegetables,and cheese sticks. Then we'll deep fry some beef, or pork, or chicken, or fish, or even tofu, as the main course. Once we have deep fried our entree, we also need to deep fry our side vegetables. Not just potatoes mind you, but onion rings and fried zucchini are extremely popular at fast food restaurants throughout the country. I saw someone make deep fried asparagus on a TV cooking show.

For dessert, how about some deep fried ice cream? Maybe a couple of deep fried twinkies, Oreo cookies, or a deep fried candy bar? Doughnuts are normally deep fried, too. At county fairs, they take sweetened batter and drop it into boiling oil through a conical dispenser and call the grease soaked and fat laden result funnel cakes.
sick.gif

Oh, and we can't just take bare food and deep fry it. That would ruin all the fun. We need to put a nice coating on our food before we fry it. Not a light, delicate coating like you would find on, say, tempura, mind you. Oh, no! Americans have to have a thick, heavy, flour and egg batter to bury the food inside of, so it can absorb as much of that delicious hydrogenated vegetable oil, pork fat, or beef tallow as possible.

Does anyone still wonder why over 30% of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, or over 17% of American children and adolescents, are morbidly obese?

Last edited:
Caine said:
I can truthfully say that Americans will deep fry anything edible. We will deep fry every part of the meal too, from the appetizers to the dessert. We will deep fry meat, fish, poultry, and seafood. We will deep fry cheese. We will deep fry sandwiches.There is a restaurant in Pennsylvania that deep fries hot dogs!

As appetizers, we'll deep fry chicken wings, shrimp, jueienned vegetables,and cheese sticks. Then we'll deep fry some beef, or pork, or chicken, or fish, or even tofu, as the main course. Once we have deep fried our entree, we also need to deep fry our side vegetables. Not just potatoes mind you, but onion rings and fried zucchini are extremely popular at fast food restaurants throughout the country. I saw someone make deep fried asparagus on a TV cooking show.

For dessert, how about some deep fried ice cream? Maybe a couple of deep fried twinkies, Oreo cookies, or a deep fried candy bar? Doughnuts are normally deep fried, too. At county fairs, they take sweetened batter and drop it into boiling oil through a conical dispenser and call the grease soaked and fat laden result funnel cakes.
sick.gif

Oh, and we can't just take bare food and deep fry it. That would ruin all the fun. We need to put a nice coating on our food before we fry it. Not a light, delicate coating like you would find on, say, tempura, mind you. Oh, no! Americans have to have a thick, heavy, flour and egg batter to bury the food inside of, so it can absorb as much of that delicious hydrogenated vegetable oil, pork fat, or beef tallow as possible.

Does anyone still wonder why over 30% of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, or over 17% of American children and adolescents, are morbidly obese?

Caine, I don't think you could have said it any better than you did, and...it's true. When I want to fry mozzarella sticks or onion rings, I dip them in as little flour-and-egg batter as possible, and I would use healthier oils, like canola oil.

Marcus said:
Caine, I don't think you could have said it any better than you did, and...it's true. When I want to fry mozzarella sticks or onion rings, I dip them in as little flour-and-egg batter as possible, and I would use healthier oils, like canola oil.

All right, Marcus, you're ruining it for everyone else. You're going to have to leave the country!

Last edited:
Let's not get carried away now. Anyway, as Emeril Lagasse says, there's good fried food and bad fried food. I am not committed to using animal fats or vegetable oil for frying, but I would coat or dip the foods in the least amount of batter possible for frying, and fry with healthier oils. The point Emeril was trying to make was about the temperature for frying, but either way or the other, he's right.:chef:

I know this is off-subject but since the talk is about fried food.
Has anyone tried fried polenta ?
Make polenta as usual and let it rest. Once it cooled down, cut it in sticks like mozzarella or big fries and then fry in canola oil.
It is a real treat as an appetizer.

Back
Top Bottom