Mozzarella sticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to work at a restaurant that sold these, and man were they amazing! Dipped in a little tomato/marina sauce - wow, so good! :)

Last edited:
Thank you Salty and Jenny!

Ok...i was talking to my husband only TODAY while we were eating mozz sticks as an appetizer at a rest and told him i could make them at home because i learned how from gianna on food network. so, i was gonna look up the recipe for the ingreds then LO AND BEHOLD i come across this post which took me strait to it...with out me even trying! swEEt!

Good luck, she says with a very wry smile. I hope you don't end up with an oil pot full of cheese!! And you are right, they are good.

oh oh i tried it before at some western restaurant, have been meaning to search the recipe and try it for myself but i have forgotten about it till now.

thanks

Get fresh mozzarella if you can, it makes a big big difference in the flavor. Also, I prefer to use panko crumbs, but that's just more of a preference thing, and it wont really affect flavor.

Actually, I've made the "Everyday Italian" mozzarella sticks, & they turn out wonderful.

However, do stick to her recipe - i.e. not fresh mozzarella, but the "block" type, & also use the dry Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs - not Panko.

Since her recipe has you freeze the sticks before cooking, & the sticks are shallow-fried in a skillet rather than deep-fried, the Panko crumbs will burn long before the cheese inside is cooked/melted. And using commercial block mozzarella instead of fresh allows the cheese to cook to the nice soft/stringy consistency that marks a good mozzarella stick. Fresh mozzarella is definitely wasted here - it melts too quickly into a gooey mess. I also cook mine in extra-virgin olive oil - gives a lovely flavor & I can at least partially fool myself that the sticks are somewhat healthy.:LOL:

Been there, done that.

Thanks for the tips Breezy. I am glad you shared that with us. I like to avoid the gooey mess myself!

You're welcome. And no offense meant to the suggestion made for fresh mozzarella & Panko - but I've tried both, & more than once, & it just hasn't worked out well at all. And considering the expense of both, I'd rather just stick to the cheaper block mozzy & commercial dried seasoned breadcrumbs.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE fresh mozzarella & buy it frequently (especially the true buffalo type when I can find it), but definitely not for a fried recipe like this. And I also use Panko crumbs as well, but have found that with both fried mozzarella sticks & fried oysters, the Panko crumbs seem to burn before the interior is ready. Now this could definitely be because I'm doing something wrong, but since I don't have any problems when I use other crumbs, I'm not willing to risk my Panko trying - lol!!

I haven't had true mozzarella since I was in Italy. I know there is a market in town that sells it, but the parking down there is so horrendous I don't even bother. You have me thinking about it now though.

Hey, when you say block mozza, do you mean like Kraft? Just checking.

Thanx!!

I have been interested in getting my hands on a receipe, for Mozarella sticks, for a while.
Thanx!

Here in Southern California the only thing that I can think of is there is a very nice restaurant in the San Fernando Valley and they serve the most wonderful mozarella sticks.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

I should have specified that when I triple-bread my fresh mozz. with panko, I do not freeze them, or bake them. They immediately get tossed into the deep fryer. You have to use the appropriate cooking methods depending on your preparation; freezing then frying isn't a good idea with panko, b/c they will burn, like breezy mentioned.

Also, if you are freezing your Mozz sticks, and then deep-frying, only cook them for a couple of minutes. Once the cheese starts to bubble out through the breading, they're done, and get them out in a hurry! Just a few second's time will have all the cheese cooked out into the oil, with only the breading "shell" left.

This is from experience at a couple different restaurants.

Alix - when I said "block", I meant the Polly-O & Sorrento, etc., types. I've used both of those with equal success - both the whole milk & the part-skim. The larger rectangular blocks put out by Kraft & some supermarkets as "house" brands are a bit too dry/rubbery in my opinion, but then I've never used them to make mozzy sticks so can't say for sure how they'd turn out.

Battered

I have concocted a recipe for battered mozzarella sticks, using fresh mozzarella. Will this work? This recipe is currently untested. If it doesn't work, I will be happy to revise the recipe.

Any breading will work as long as not too thick. Breading is porous and cooks quickly. But it should not be a dip batter. The key to this recipe is that the cheese has to be frozen because it heats so quickly. We use string cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom