Mushroom Strudel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Daughter is taking something to school for a returning new mommy that the teachers all want to give gifts to..So I got elected and decided to do this one..
I am rolling out a sheet of puff pastry, down the center I plan to put some fontina cheese,about 4-5 ounces, then I'll saute a variety of sliced mushrooms with butter and evoo, some garlic, about 3 crushed cloves, some grated ginger about 1 tea,2 good sized shallots finely chopped,I'll cool the mix and then put this on top of the cheese close the puff pastry and brush with an egg wash and sprinkle it with some toasted sesame seeds a Tab or so...Then bake at 400 20 min and then slice and serve...I plan to double this and make two..Should be fine with all the other goodies people are bringing..
Happy to do this, this gal has waited what seems like forever for this baby..

kadesma

What a nice gesture - makes my mouth water. I cannot buy premade puff pastry here - is it a real pain to make it yourself? I would be willing to give it a try to make that recipe...

What a nice gesture - makes my mouth water. I cannot buy premade puff pastry here - is it a real pain to make it yourself? I would be willing to give it a try to make that recipe...
I've never made it myself, but I'd bet this recipe for some dough would work just as well or even better...1 cup unsalted butter, 1-cup cream cheese, 2-1/2 cups flour, 1-tea. salt 1/4-cup heavy cream...combine the butter and cheese til smooth and creamy, Sift in the flour and salt together and slowly add the cream and then chil 1 hour..roll out to a rectangle, add the cooled mushroom mixture, then close the dough over the mushrooms, brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds then bake at 400 20 minutes or til golden..Then slice like with the puff pastry..This dough with it's cream cheese and cream looks wonderful to me and I think I might try this for us on sunday..
kadesma:)

Great sounding recipe, Kadesma. The dough I use for tourtiere turnovers is very similar to the one you posted, without the cream. It's a really nice dough, and easy to work with. I bet the cream will be a great in it. Thanks!

Great sounding recipe, Kadesma. The dough I use for tourtiere turnovers is very similar to the one you posted, without the cream. It's a really nice dough, and easy to work with. I bet the cream will be a great in it. Thanks!
Thanks Loprraine,
I plan to try this dough for one strudel for the family and see how it works with the mushrooms..Seems to me it will be just as good or better than the puff pastry.
kades:)

If mommy is breas feeding I'd for go garlic. Other wise it sounds really yummy.
yep she is breast feeding but we are going to try this here on sunday and I'll add some garlic and see how it turns out..Thanks Charlie:)

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom