"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
bbob .. it's all ready! *mashes a handful in his mouth*

Old 11-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I definitely need to make chex mix this year, I love the stuff! It was a holiday staple in my house growing up, my mom would make it in her turkey roaster, she would end up with what looked like truck loads of the stuff!

The wheat chex are my favorite because they soak up lots of the butter mixture!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I definitely need to make chex mix this year, I love the stuff! It was a holiday staple in my house growing up, my mom would make it in her turkey roaster, she would end up with what looked like truck loads of the stuff!

The wheat chex are my favorite because they soak up lots of the butter mixture!
Same here .. but this batch I left them out. I had leftover Corn & Rice, no left over Wheat. But I have a new combo 3 pack in the pantry to make more I might have to get more garlic powder.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I need to make Chex Mix this year, one of my co-workers loves the stuff.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
Head Chef

I haven't tried this yet but because I'm trying to limit salt.......I'll give it a try. But I'll use salted butter and hope that that's enough salt for me. I won't use one of the commercial seasoning mixes.

I'll also just use regular Cheerios, wheat and rice chex etc. I want to limit but not eliminate all salt.

Low Sodium Original Chex Mix Recipe
Old 11-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

My favorite cereal snack is just plain Cheerios. I buy a box every so often and just sit and snack right from the box. I hate when I get to the bottom.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I took the liberty to convert the OG recipe to weight measurements .. It's been many a year since I've made this.

The Original Chex® Party Mix

Ingredients:
3 cups Corn Chex® cereal (93g)
3 cups Rice Chex® cereal (81g)
3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal (141g)
1 cup mixed nuts (~112g*)
1 cup bite-size pretzels (~60g*)
1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips (~60g*)
* Check serving size to adjust

6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Preparation Directions:
1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.

2. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.

Oven Directions:
Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

Tags
recipe

My version of Chex Mix 4oz Chex Rice 4oz Chex Corn 8oz Chex Wheat 6oz Bagel Chips 6oz of Pretzel Stix 16oz Fancy Mixed Nuts 16oz Roasted Peanuts 2 stix butter (1/2 lb) 1tbsp Garlic Powder 1tbsp Seasoned Salt 1 Big Roaster Pan Preheat oven to 225*F I first made this with 6oz of Chex Rice & Corn .. but it came out too Chexy, so this one with less should be better. I forgot to add Cheerios that is in Scrabble, but even if I did there wouldn't be room in the pan. Mix all of the dry in the roaster pan. Melt the butter in a pot & add the garlic & salt. Drizzle the butter over the mix and try and even it out. Bake the mix for 2 hours, and re-mix it every 20 mins. 3 stars 1 reviews