My version of Chex Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I am feeling especially flush at the holidays I add a box of Bugles to my Chex mix recipe. The nacho works well but the plain is okay too. Just have to keep the kids from picking them all out of the mix.

:LOL: Good for you with 1/2lb of butter!:LOL:

I LOVE Chex Mix .. but I think this batch is a little too salty. Next batch I'll 1/2 the Seasoned Salt (the garlic I used is just powder). This mix seems to well balanced with the dry stuff .. maybe more pretzle sticks. I like them broken in 1/2, because it's abit hard to mash a handfull of mix in your mouth with big sticks poking out :LOL:

I agree about the pretzels. I used the mini ties - too hard after cooking compared to the rest of the mix. I'm taking them out as I go. Next time, sticks, broken.

BTW, I was looking to see if Soy sauce is a good substitute (it is) and saw chow mein noodles as an ingredient. It's really good, as they are a bit bland to start with and soak up a delicious flavor. Maybe I'll skip the pretzels entirely next time.

Interesting! chow mein & soy sauce!

Especially tasty.

Also, I noticed that dry roasted peanuts and honey roasted peanuts were the same price. I opted for the regular dry roasted, but after tasting this mix, I'll definitely go for the sweet/salty flavor of the honey roasted nuts next time.:chef:

I'm so craving this mix--I have to make some before the week is through. Thanks for reminding me!

Other snack mix combos for the holidays.

Mix: cheese-it crackers, chicken flavored crackers, wheat thins all flavors, triscuts, pretzels, and any other of your favorites--in the smaller sized crackers. No need to add butter and flavorings if you don't want to.

another: melt a bag of butterscotch chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips, add cups of peanuts, broken pretzels and mixed nuts, spoon onto waxed paper in small globs and let cool and set.

Dang .. it's been 2 years .. I am going make some tonight for turkey day party:

3oz Chex Rice
3oz Chex Corn
6oz Chex Wheat
6oz Bagel Chips (I forgot these, so I am gona try 4 or 6oz of cheerios)
6oz Pretzel Stix
16oz Fancy Mixed Nuts
16oz Peanuts (I also forgot these .. so more fancy nuts!)
2 Stix Butter (1/2 lb)
3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tbsp Seasoned Salt
1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 Big Roaster Pan

Mix all of the dry in the roaster pan. Melt the butter in a pot, then add the worcest, garlic power, and salt. Drizzle that over the mix and try and even it out. Bake at 250f for 1 hour, and re-mix it every 15 mins.

It's that time of year again for our fav salty snack! I pretty much suck with the last recipe, but added an extra TBSP Worcestershire Sauce.

I'll post pics after it's done baking :chef:

Here are some pics .. it tastes great :chef:

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 341
I definitely need to make chex mix this year, I love the stuff! It was a holiday staple in my house growing up, my mom would make it in her turkey roaster, she would end up with what looked like truck loads of the stuff!

The wheat chex are my favorite because they soak up lots of the butter mixture!

I definitely need to make chex mix this year, I love the stuff! It was a holiday staple in my house growing up, my mom would make it in her turkey roaster, she would end up with what looked like truck loads of the stuff!

The wheat chex are my favorite because they soak up lots of the butter mixture!
Same here .. but this batch I left them out. I had leftover Corn & Rice, no left over Wheat. But I have a new combo 3 pack in the pantry to make more :sorcerer: I might have to get more garlic powder.

I haven't tried this yet but because I'm trying to limit salt.......I'll give it a try. But I'll use salted butter and hope that that's enough salt for me. I won't use one of the commercial seasoning mixes.

I'll also just use regular Cheerios, wheat and rice chex etc. I want to limit but not eliminate all salt. :)

Low Sodium Original Chex Mix Recipe

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite cereal snack is just plain Cheerios. I buy a box every so often and just sit and snack right from the box. I hate when I get to the bottom. :angel:

I took the liberty to convert the OG recipe to weight measurements .. It's been many a year since I've made this.

The Original Chex® Party Mix

Ingredients:
3 cups Corn Chex® cereal (93g)
3 cups Rice Chex® cereal (81g)
3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal (141g)
1 cup mixed nuts (~112g*)
1 cup bite-size pretzels (~60g*)
1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips (~60g*)
* Check serving size to adjust

6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Preparation Directions:
1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.

2. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.

Oven Directions:
Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom