"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Post My version of Chex Mix

4oz Chex Rice
4oz Chex Corn
8oz Chex Wheat
6oz Bagel Chips
6oz of Pretzel Stix
16oz Fancy Mixed Nuts
16oz Roasted Peanuts
2 stix butter (1/2 lb)
1tbsp Garlic Powder
1tbsp Seasoned Salt
1 Big Roaster Pan

Preheat oven to 225*F

I first made this with 6oz of Chex Rice & Corn .. but it came out too Chexy, so this one with less should be better. I forgot to add Cheerios that is in Scrabble, but even if I did there wouldn't be room in the pan.

Mix all of the dry in the roaster pan. Melt the butter in a pot & add the garlic & salt. Drizzle the butter over the mix and try and even it out. Bake the mix for 2 hours, and re-mix it every 20 mins.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4176.JPG
Views:	976
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	9033  

Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I love Chex Mix. My mother made it every holiday and called it "kitty litter" I am now trying to carry on the family tradition.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef

The thing I always liked about Chex Mix was the light sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce. It gives it a nice earthy flavor.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The thing I always liked about Chex Mix was the light sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce. It gives it a nice earthy flavor.
DOH forgot to write that .. it's in there! 2 tbsp!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I always add the Cheerios after it bakes and before the mixture cools. They seem to shrink to nothing when baked.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom always made it, and I loved it. Last year when visiting me, she decided to make some, a quadruple batch, since she had a bit of wine prior, she confused tsp with tbs and that was some really salty chex mix!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
Master Chef

I love it too. I found several versions on the back of the chex boxes but they all use the microwave!!! Somehow, I don't think that will get the same crunchiness of an oven. There were no instructions for stovetop/oven conversions either.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Everymom

I can't get Chex up here so I make "nuts and bolts" with the stuff I can get. Its become a family tradition and its one of the things I HAVE to give away to certain people every year. LOL!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've been looking for instructions too. The commodity box I get every month often has boxes of cereal, including one with two kinds of hex shaped chex type of mixed corn and rice. I also saved a box of oat o's too. I have raisins and craisins. All I need are pretzels and nuts and they are on the list.

I looked up instructions but as you know, I only found microwave. Not only do I think they wouldn't get crispy, but I wouldn't have room in my microwave.

I googled chex mix oven directions and found one from chex, you just have to scroll down past the microwave directions.

I don't have a big pan, so I'll probably just make a foil pan. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Cook

When I first started making Chex mix, the recipe I had said to melt the butter/margarine in a large electric skillet, then add all the seasonings and stir to mix. Then I was to add the cereals etc. and stir to coat. With the temperature at like 225 degrees Fahrenheit, I was to cook the mix for an hour, stirring to recoat every 15 minutes. It really was quite good.

Tags
recipe

My version of Chex Mix 4oz Chex Rice 4oz Chex Corn 8oz Chex Wheat 6oz Bagel Chips 6oz of Pretzel Stix 16oz Fancy Mixed Nuts 16oz Roasted Peanuts 2 stix butter (1/2 lb) 1tbsp Garlic Powder 1tbsp Seasoned Salt 1 Big Roaster Pan Preheat oven to 225*F I first made this with 6oz of Chex Rice & Corn .. but it came out too Chexy, so this one with less should be better. I forgot to add Cheerios that is in Scrabble, but even if I did there wouldn't be room in the pan. Mix all of the dry in the roaster pan. Melt the butter in a pot & add the garlic & salt. Drizzle the butter over the mix and try and even it out. Bake the mix for 2 hours, and re-mix it every 20 mins. 3 stars 1 reviews