"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #11
Master Chef

Mmmm.....nachos. I love them, and it's one of those things that I just kind of use what I have on hand when the mood strikes. Kind of like the goulash of latino dishes.
Sometimes refried beans, sometimes seasoned ground beef....or chicken. Sometimes loaded up, sometimes not so much. Sometimes cheddar, other times Monterey jack. Once in a while I'll use salsa, other times I just chop up some tomatoes and onions. One thing I almost always do is cut up corn tortillas into eighths and fry them up rather than use store bought bagged chips. It makes a huge difference.

Here's one version from a year or so ago. Now I'm craving nachos. This will have to be on the menu next week, in some form or another!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nachos.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	23719  

Old 10-26-2015, 01:07 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Mmmm.....nachos. I love them, and it's one of those things that I just kind of use what I have on hand when the mood strikes. Kind of like the goulash of latino dishes.
Sometimes refried beans, sometimes seasoned ground beef....or chicken. Sometimes loaded up, sometimes not so much. Sometimes cheddar, other times Monterey jack. Once in a while I'll use salsa, other times I just chop up some tomatoes and onions. One thing I almost always do is cut up corn tortillas into eighths and fry them up rather than use store bought bagged chips. It makes a huge difference.

Here's one version from a year or so ago. Now I'm craving nachos. This will have to be on the menu next week, in some form or another!
Yeah, the photo is making me want nachos too. I think I'll go make some.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

That looks outstanding Cheryl, and I couldn't agree more about frying your own chips. Nothing from a bag is ever as good.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I've never tried to try my own chips. The pic Cheryl posted will have me trying within a week.

Does anyone have a favorite oil they use for chips? I saw peanut oil listed on TheLonelyTexan link.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
Master Chef

I use peanut oil, but have done it with veg. oil. I don't see much difference. Be sure you salt the chips immediately after removing from the oil.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Master Chef

Thanks, guys.

Like Kay, I use peanut or veg oil - probably veg oil most often, because I always have it. And yes, if you don't salt immediately when they come out of the oil, the salt just bounces off. And watch them closely inchrisin, the chips can go from nicely browned to burnt in a couple of seconds.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I just tried peanut oil. The results were pretty immaculate. I didn't even need salt for the chips. I'll try veggie oil next time because it's cheaper here.

Thanks for the help all!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Senior Cook

This brings back memories of Spring snow skiing in Vail CO. This was BK (before kids). We had a group from Atlanta that went every spring. After a full day of skiing we would meet at the Red Lion and have this mountain of Nachos (more is better). we would order pitchers of Margaritas and tell stories of the skiing while sitting outside in the Colorado sun. Man that was the life. Once you cleaned off the toppings, you could have them re-topped. The nachos most always outlasted the Margaritas. I never could get the ratio right :).
Old 10-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I just tried peanut oil. The results were pretty immaculate. I didn't even need salt for the chips. I'll try veggie oil next time because it's cheaper here.

Thanks for the help all!
I'm glad you were happy with the home fried tortilla chips, inchrisin!
Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I'm also curious how the commercial brands get all that oil off their chips. Is it worth trying to shake the chips out while they're in a colander?

Tags
recipe, recipes

Nachos: Where are the good recipes? Every time I make nachos in the oven, I'm underwhelmed. I typically dice some chicken, add some blackened seasoning, throw some shredded cheddar or co-jack on top of a pile of chips, broil, and eat with jalapenos. A pile of nachos seem to be harder and harder to find at a restaurant too. Anymore, an order of nachos is roughly a dozen chips covered in a pound of refried beans and cheese. Give me your best nacho recipe, and PILE THEM HIGH! :) 3 stars 1 reviews