Nachos: Where are the good recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Every time I make nachos in the oven, I'm underwhelmed. I typically dice some chicken, add some blackened seasoning, throw some shredded cheddar or co-jack on top of a pile of chips, broil, and eat with jalapenos.

A pile of nachos seem to be harder and harder to find at a restaurant too. Anymore, an order of nachos is roughly a dozen chips covered in a pound of refried beans and cheese.

Give me your best nacho recipe, and PILE THEM HIGH! :)

It might be just me, but with Nachos, I think less is more. I don't want so many ingredients on top that they are hard to manage as "finger food", kinda like "pick up sticks".

Last edited:
Coming from someone who thinks more is better, I agree with KL that in this instance less is more.

The way I do it is strategically stack "good" chips add a portion of cheese (colby / monterey jack ), then a spoonful of drained pico de gallo, a few slices jalapeno, and that's about it. Maybe some scallions, No meat or beans. Place the next layer chips on top of the first layer alternately , so there is air between chips and they aren't in a teenage back seat clutch. Repeat toppings and make a mile high platter. Carefully into the oven until heated and cheese melts.

Toppings for me, always, salsa, sour cream, guacamole-- yay for Mexican colors, and sometimes a spicy refried bean dip. If it's just the two of us, serve on the baking tray and it's ok if we double dip and the dips blend in. If more people, small plates and be polite and make more.

Put a little cheese, then the seasoned chicken, then the jalapeños, top with more cheese.
Use guacamole and or sour cream after they come out of the oven.
Do season the chicken when you cook it.

Now when I was a teenager, my favorite nachos were seasoned ground beef, refried beans and that cheese sauce. This was from a fast food place. But I always ordered the combination nachos, double meat, double beans, double cheese.
One cashier asked me why I didn't just order 2 nachos. I told her I didn't want that many chips. Other days I ordered the combination burrito.

I ate there so often that when I walked in the door, the cook would ask did I want a burrito or nachos.

It might be just me, but with Nachos, I think less is more. I don't want so many ingredients on top that they are hard to manage as "finger food", kinda like "pick up sticks".

I agree.
I arrange chips on a sheet pan and top with cheese. I then bake until cheese is bubbly.
I then add one slice of (pickled) jalapeño pepper to top each chip and serve with salsa. That to me is the perfect nacho.

Note: Lots of work for little product. But plenty reward.

When I make nachos, it's typically for a quick lunch or an evening snack that DH and I share. I put a pile of chips in a shallow bowl, spoon salsa over them, top with extra-sharp cheddar cheese and microwave for about a minute. Then I sprinkle with homemade pickled red onions and put sour cream on the side. If I have leftover grilled chicken or taco meat, I'll toss it with the salsa and use that. Simple and delicious :yum:

Last edited:
When I make nachos, it's typically for a quick lunch or an evening snack that DH and I share. I put a pile of chips in a shallow bowl, spoon salsa over them, top with extra-sharp cheddar cheese and microwave for about a minute. Then I sprinkle with homemade pickled red onions and put sour cream on the side. If I have leftover grilled chicken or taco meat, I'll toss it with the salsa and use that. Simple and delicious :yum:
That is what we do. I will have to try the red onions and sour cream. :)

That is what we do. I will have to try the red onions and sour cream. :)

I use a Rick Bayless recipe for the red onions. I haven't seen it online so if you don't already have one, send me a PM and I'll send you the recipe. I love to have something tangy with a creamy dish like nachos.

Mmmm.....nachos. :yum: I love them, and it's one of those things that I just kind of use what I have on hand when the mood strikes. Kind of like the goulash of latino dishes. :LOL:
Sometimes refried beans, sometimes seasoned ground beef....or chicken. Sometimes loaded up, sometimes not so much. Sometimes cheddar, other times Monterey jack. Once in a while I'll use salsa, other times I just chop up some tomatoes and onions. One thing I almost always do is cut up corn tortillas into eighths and fry them up rather than use store bought bagged chips. It makes a huge difference.

Here's one version from a year or so ago. Now I'm craving nachos. This will have to be on the menu next week, in some form or another! :)

Attachments

• nachos.jpg
    nachos.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Mmmm.....nachos. :yum: I love them, and it's one of those things that I just kind of use what I have on hand when the mood strikes. Kind of like the goulash of latino dishes. :LOL:
Sometimes refried beans, sometimes seasoned ground beef....or chicken. Sometimes loaded up, sometimes not so much. Sometimes cheddar, other times Monterey jack. Once in a while I'll use salsa, other times I just chop up some tomatoes and onions. One thing I almost always do is cut up corn tortillas into eighths and fry them up rather than use store bought bagged chips. It makes a huge difference.

Here's one version from a year or so ago. Now I'm craving nachos. This will have to be on the menu next week, in some form or another! :)
Yeah, the photo is making me want nachos too. I think I'll go make some. :pig:

That looks outstanding Cheryl, and I couldn't agree more about frying your own chips. Nothing from a bag is ever as good.:chef:

I've never tried to try my own chips. The pic Cheryl posted will have me trying within a week.

Does anyone have a favorite oil they use for chips? I saw peanut oil listed on TheLonelyTexan link.

Thanks, guys. :)

Like Kay, I use peanut or veg oil - probably veg oil most often, because I always have it. And yes, if you don't salt immediately when they come out of the oil, the salt just bounces off. :ermm::LOL: And watch them closely inchrisin, the chips can go from nicely browned to burnt in a couple of seconds.

I just tried peanut oil. The results were pretty immaculate. I didn't even need salt for the chips. I'll try veggie oil next time because it's cheaper here.

Thanks for the help all!

This brings back memories of Spring snow skiing in Vail CO. This was BK (before kids). We had a group from Atlanta that went every spring. After a full day of skiing we would meet at the Red Lion and have this mountain of Nachos (more is better). we would order pitchers of Margaritas and tell stories of the skiing while sitting outside in the Colorado sun. Man that was the life. Once you cleaned off the toppings, you could have them re-topped. The nachos most always outlasted the Margaritas. I never could get the ratio right :).

I just tried peanut oil. The results were pretty immaculate. I didn't even need salt for the chips. I'll try veggie oil next time because it's cheaper here.

Thanks for the help all!

I'm glad you were happy with the home fried tortilla chips, inchrisin!

I'm also curious how the commercial brands get all that oil off their chips. Is it worth trying to shake the chips out while they're in a colander?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom