"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Nachos: Where are the good recipes?

Every time I make nachos in the oven, I'm underwhelmed. I typically dice some chicken, add some blackened seasoning, throw some shredded cheddar or co-jack on top of a pile of chips, broil, and eat with jalapenos.

A pile of nachos seem to be harder and harder to find at a restaurant too. Anymore, an order of nachos is roughly a dozen chips covered in a pound of refried beans and cheese.

Give me your best nacho recipe, and PILE THEM HIGH! :)

Old 10-25-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
Master Chef

It might be just me, but with Nachos, I think less is more. I don't want so many ingredients on top that they are hard to manage as "finger food", kinda like "pick up sticks".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I really like it when I order an appetizer and it turns into a meal.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Coming from someone who thinks more is better, I agree with KL that in this instance less is more.

The way I do it is strategically stack "good" chips add a portion of cheese (colby / monterey jack ), then a spoonful of drained pico de gallo, a few slices jalapeno, and that's about it. Maybe some scallions, No meat or beans. Place the next layer chips on top of the first layer alternately , so there is air between chips and they aren't in a teenage back seat clutch. Repeat toppings and make a mile high platter. Carefully into the oven until heated and cheese melts.

Toppings for me, always, salsa, sour cream, guacamole-- yay for Mexican colors, and sometimes a spicy refried bean dip. If it's just the two of us, serve on the baking tray and it's ok if we double dip and the dips blend in. If more people, small plates and be polite and make more.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Put a little cheese, then the seasoned chicken, then the jalapeños, top with more cheese.
Use guacamole and or sour cream after they come out of the oven.
Do season the chicken when you cook it.

Now when I was a teenager, my favorite nachos were seasoned ground beef, refried beans and that cheese sauce. This was from a fast food place. But I always ordered the combination nachos, double meat, double beans, double cheese.
One cashier asked me why I didn't just order 2 nachos. I told her I didn't want that many chips. Other days I ordered the combination burrito.

I ate there so often that when I walked in the door, the cook would ask did I want a burrito or nachos.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It might be just me, but with Nachos, I think less is more. I don't want so many ingredients on top that they are hard to manage as "finger food", kinda like "pick up sticks".
I agree.
I arrange chips on a sheet pan and top with cheese. I then bake until cheese is bubbly.
I then add one slice of (pickled) jalapeño pepper to top each chip and serve with salsa. That to me is the perfect nacho.

Note: Lots of work for little product. But plenty reward.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make nachos, it's typically for a quick lunch or an evening snack that DH and I share. I put a pile of chips in a shallow bowl, spoon salsa over them, top with extra-sharp cheddar cheese and microwave for about a minute. Then I sprinkle with homemade pickled red onions and put sour cream on the side. If I have leftover grilled chicken or taco meat, I'll toss it with the salsa and use that. Simple and delicious
Old 10-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Sous Chef

nachos

I like this little discussion..

Nachos 101 | Homesick Texan

Eric, Austin tx.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When I make nachos, it's typically for a quick lunch or an evening snack that DH and I share. I put a pile of chips in a shallow bowl, spoon salsa over them, top with extra-sharp cheddar cheese and microwave for about a minute. Then I sprinkle with homemade pickled red onions and put sour cream on the side. If I have leftover grilled chicken or taco meat, I'll toss it with the salsa and use that. Simple and delicious
That is what we do. I will have to try the red onions and sour cream.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That is what we do. I will have to try the red onions and sour cream.
I use a Rick Bayless recipe for the red onions. I haven't seen it online so if you don't already have one, send me a PM and I'll send you the recipe. I love to have something tangy with a creamy dish like nachos.

Tags
recipe, recipes

Nachos: Where are the good recipes? Every time I make nachos in the oven, I'm underwhelmed. I typically dice some chicken, add some blackened seasoning, throw some shredded cheddar or co-jack on top of a pile of chips, broil, and eat with jalapenos. A pile of nachos seem to be harder and harder to find at a restaurant too. Anymore, an order of nachos is roughly a dozen chips covered in a pound of refried beans and cheese. Give me your best nacho recipe, and PILE THEM HIGH! :) 3 stars 1 reviews