"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to KevInAlaska Send a message via AIM to KevInAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to KevInAlaska Send a message via Skype™ to KevInAlaska
Nice list. I like the ideas. So tomorrow when I get a chance I am off to to try them. I love sauces, to me a good sauce can turn almost anything that tastes bad into something you can eat and enjoy. Just IMO but I didn't say anything I did say 'almost anything'.

Nice to see such a friendly group of people on here. :) I am a bit chatty at times so please bare with me. :)

Well I am off like a wild herd of turtles for now. be back tomorrow morning to see whats been cooking on this thread. :)

thank you again everyone! :)

Sincerely,
Kevin in Alaska

Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have my recipe at home and will "shoot" that to you tonight.

Hey Kev - your cat needs a groomer

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My son makes deep fried pickles all the time. We like them with a dip made from sour cream, dill, pureed cucumber and vinegar and a spoon of ranch dip doesn't hurt.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I love the cat.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to KevInAlaska Send a message via AIM to KevInAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to KevInAlaska Send a message via Skype™ to KevInAlaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I have my recipe at home and will "shoot" that to you tonight.

Hey Kev - your cat needs a groomer
Don't go to far out of the way for me seriously. When you have the time to get the ranch recipe that you dont have other life things naggy at you. I do appreciate it all the same. :)

Sincerly,

Kevin in Alaska

PS. I have tried to get my cat groomed but being that the cat is a black belt in about all modern forms of martial arts does me little good getting him in the car for the trip there in the first place.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
My son makes deep fried pickles all the time. We like them with a dip made from sour cream, dill, pureed cucumber and vinegar and a spoon of ranch dip doesn't hurt.
R E A L L Y ?! ?! ?!

I think I will have to try around some of that recipe some myself. Didn't make it to the Market yet for some supplies but once my 15 year old gets back from camp tomorrow I think I will venture out and get her to baby sit for an hour so that I might acquire some of these ingredents I have been writting down from this forum thread. :)

Thanks again everyone! :)

Sincerely,

Kevin Alaska

PS I like my cat too! :)
Old 07-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This ranch dressing can certainly be made with fresh herbs but they tend to contain more water so the dried prevents it from getting watery after a couple days.

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

These ingredients are approximate. Garlic granules/onion granules can be used instead of the powder - adjust seasonings to your taste. Once made this needs to chill for a couple hours - it really helps for the flavors to blend.

If it's too thick add more buttermilk; if it's too thin adjust with more sour cream or mayo or both.

It's a recipe - it's meant to be played with and changed

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

SWEET!!! thank you soooo much for the very kind awesome friendly generous sweet time you gave me on giving that recipe. :) My printer is printing as I type. :)

I love ranch and I hate the purchased kinds most of the time. I can't stand that so much oil is used in Mayo. Here is a trick. Found this one out with a cold winter here... heh.. that was redundant. cold winter here.. :) its always cold in the winter.

Buy a small little jar of Mayo and freeze it then thaw it and do it once and maybe twice. You will see just how much oil is in those thigns. =/ but store purchased ranch is mayo and oil well.. hidden valley kind. ahhh.. but they used a word like "valley" it has to be good for me! Doesn't it?!

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska
Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
This sounds like my kinda dip - thanks for posting !
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I think they're really good with A-1 sauce

Tags
None