"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to KevInAlaska Send a message via AIM to KevInAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to KevInAlaska Send a message via Skype™ to KevInAlaska
Question Need a good dip for DEEP FRIED PICKLES!!!

Hello everyone and thank you so very much for reading this post.

I was given the suggestion of trying an online forum for help. I have a fairbooth here in Fairbanks, Alaska and was really hoping I could get a recipe for a dipping sauce for Deep Fried Pickles.

I have been looking and trying a number of recipes and have not found anything of much worth. I had these Deep Fried Pickles once as little thick slices that are battered and came with a really awesome sauce that was of a creamy nature with little pits of Dill in it. I can't remember much more then that because it was 3,000 miles away and 6 or so years ago.

I dont need the exact sauce but I would love go have something a little more interesting then Ranch. :)

Any suggestions on what might taste good with the pickle flavor and/or do you know any recipes that I can try or adapt to my needs?

Well anyhow thank you SOOO much for at least taking the time to read this post.

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hey, Kev. Welcome to DC. You have the same nice name as one of my brothers.

Deep-fried pickles, eh? We have those here where I live. I was going to suggest ranch, but you said "nope," but you might think about a salsa-type dip. That might be good. Or a mustard-based dip? Good luck. You'll probably get more answers.

Don't be a stranger. Stick around. We have lots to offer.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Everymom

Hey Kevin, do you have Uncle Dan's California dill dip mix there? I would use a bit of that in some sour cream, mayo mix. I think I'd also add some chopped pickle to that.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to KevInAlaska Send a message via AIM to KevInAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to KevInAlaska Send a message via Skype™ to KevInAlaska
Wow!! 2 posts in just a couple of minutes... You all are so kind. :) I think I might really like this website. :)

Well Ranch is not out, I just like having more then one choice and something with a little more pizzaz (spelling?).

Quote:
Hey Kevin, do you have Uncle Dan's California dill dip mix there? I would use a bit of that in some sour cream, mayo mix. I think I'd also add some chopped pickle to that.
I actually think we do have that up here. I think I will get some of that and try it out ASAP. But if you have anymore suggestions then I am still good for accepting them. heh

Well I will come back later and see what other posts come. Maybe make a trip to the local Fred Meyer food store. :)

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have a recipe for a homemade ranch that is really nice - let me know if you want it. I like it because of the chives - it's very fresh tasting.

You could also play with a sauce of sour cream and horseradish - maybe light on the horseradish for the general population and add some dill and even some pickle juice (and some milk to thin it out a bit).

I like fried pickle spears versus slices the best, but that's just me!

If I can think of anything else I'll post.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Your customers will make the final decision for you. I'll wager a Ranch type dressing with Cayenne pepper added will be the most popular!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

OMG!! a ranch recipe that is not half milk and half mayo with a packet?! Is that even possible! I would LOVE that if you have one. Is it zesty like hidden valley perchance. Not my fav ranch but I do like the zest! :)

But please no rush and don't go out of the way for me. :) okay.. go out of the way for me! heh..

thanks for the offer. :)

I have also written down your suggestions for the dip. I can't wait to get more and try them all out....

best wishes.

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Cheers!!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Kev.

Those pickles are screaming for MUSTARD! How about either a spicy mustard or honey dijon mustard dipping sauce? You could serve two different sauces in little paper dipping cups -- the spicy mustard dipping sauce and the red sweet dipping sauce, similar to what you find in Chinese restaurants. Or - Tzatziki sauce.

Tzatziki

Just a few thoughts.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I am thinking some sort of yogurt dip with dill as well as garlic and onion powder maybe.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

so should I start a new thread for fried pickle recipes? :)

When I do them it is generally when I cook gizzards, because
that is about the limit of my "deep fat" frying. (Fear of Frying.)

And those I like with blue cheese. I take some bleu cheese dressing and
add either some cayenne (or Frank's Red Hot sauce, if I am dining alone). The hot sauce in the bleu cheese dressing is not very visually appealing,
so I otherwise like a spice kicker.
Now I want some fried pickles. Mt. Olive Zesty Dill.

Tags
None