"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 12-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Master Chef

Need advice about hors D'ouevres

We have a few good friends coming over Sunday night (God bless my friends, they invite themselves) for finger foods and drinks. Everyone is bringing something. Kim is going to boil a bunch of shrimp which will be served with cocktail sauce and garlic bread.
I feel like should personally fix something, but I'm not sure what. These people are not fond of vegetables.

Any ideas?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I was gonna suggest Swimps, but I see Kim beat me to it....Sounds like a nice thing for you to "bring" to the party!! Fill em up on bourbon!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Head Chef

what about brie topped with apricot preserves and pecans baked in phyllo dough
Old 12-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Connie we just had some smoked salmon with crackers and I took some sour cream,dill and cream cheese put them together and made a spread to top the salmon and crackers with...We also had some sliced baguette, rubbed with evoo and a good amount of garlic then toasted and I topped with an anchovy butter or even some chicken or tuna salad...I had some brie that had nutmeg and pepper mixed in and served with crackers and plum jam outstanding...Get some thin sliced salami,put a gob of cream cheese then put a pepperoncini and roll and pin with a tooth pick...A block of cream cheese or mascarpone top with orange marmalade and crackers or your favorite jam or picka pepper sauce yummy
kades
Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Head Chef

Pigs in a Blanket, Connie! I love 'em, and everyone I know loves 'em! Crescent Dogs.

I use the L'il Weiners.

Lee
Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Maybe a sweet treat for afterwards something that is also a finger food as you shove them out the door.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Master Chef

I appreciate all the ideas...please keep them coming!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

I absolutely love bacon wraps! I use water chestnuts, pineapple, even chicken livers. Now see what you've done!!!! Now I'm gonna have to make some of those .
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Head Chef

take a 8 oz cream cheese, add some horseradish (not sauce) to taste, I use about 3 forks full, a lil chopped parsley for color. mix that all together

Take a package of ham, take a paper towel to each slice to dry it off as it is the package they get alil juicey. after drying it off spread a layer of cream cheese mixture on it and roll it up. stack on a plate till all done.

place in the refridgerator to cold. when ready to serve slice into slices about 1/2" thick. I put an green olive on a toothpick and then in the roll. and put on a plate.

another one is go to you deli and ask for thicker slices of salami and peperoni and a sharp cheese, grape tomatoes,

cut your meat into chunks. then using bamboo sticks make antipasto kabobs meat tomatoes and cheese, marinate in italian dressing,

I use a pitcher place them in upright so the part that the friends will be picking up with their finger wont have dressing on them.

also could make another one using fresh mozerralla basil leaves and grape tomatoes.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

lets...you are a dangerous person! Another of my favorites but the last ones I'd not thought of!

Whenever my niece comes to visit I make these - she is now 23 and the first thing she asked me was where her treats were!

Tags
None