"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #21
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyJoe View Post
Bacon has universal appeal

I definitely agree. My only input was that maybe it would be more elegant not to wrap things in bacon, not leave it off the menu entirely. The reason I suggested scallops with the pancetta is that when you render the fat from pancetta, a U8-10 scallop fits perfectly onto it, the pancetta acts as a nice platform, if you will.

Bacon wrapped foods certainly can be elegant, but I think more often than not, it's done incorrectly, leaving mental images of Golden Corral rather than Ruth's Chris Steak House. In the case of shrimp, it would be very easy for a home cook to overcook the shrimp while leaving the bacon undercooked. Overcooked shrimp and undercooked bacon is certainly not a combination of textures that I think most people find enjoyable.

Anyways, I read about an app that's popular in Italy, that was originally created to use up leftover risotto. Basically, make your risotto, chill it, then form it into a small ball shape around some cheese or other tasty morsel and deep fry. This leaves a crispy exterior, with a rich creamy risotto interior, and some nice melted cheese or whatever else you put into the middle.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
I definitely agree. My only input was that maybe it would be more elegant not to wrap things in bacon, not leave it off the menu entirely. The reason I suggested scallops with the pancetta is that when you render the fat from pancetta, a U8-10 scallop fits perfectly onto it, the pancetta acts as a nice platform, if you will.

Bacon wrapped foods certainly can be elegant, but I think more often than not, it's done incorrectly, leaving mental images of Golden Corral rather than Ruth's Chris Steak House. In the case of shrimp, it would be very easy for a home cook to overcook the shrimp while leaving the bacon undercooked. Overcooked shrimp and undercooked bacon is certainly not a combination of textures that I think most people find enjoyable.

Anyways, I read about an app that's popular in Italy, that was originally created to use up leftover risotto. Basically, make your risotto, chill it, then form it into a small ball shape around some cheese or other tasty morsel and deep fry. This leaves a crispy exterior, with a rich creamy risotto interior, and some nice melted cheese or whatever else you put into the middle.
You're right College Cook, bacon wrapped anything must be done carefully and beautifully and cooked perfectly to be elegant. I love your idea of risotto because it can be done ahead. Just a lovely pan of chilled risotto can be cut into pretty shapes and served with all sorts of lovely sauces or garnishes.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #23
Head Chef

I made these once for a freinds get together and I didn't have any left. I made some with white bread and some with wheat. comes from Martha stewart

It is so simple, I added some added alittle onion powder once. use very little or even could use chopped green onions.

but good the way they are.

"Sushi" Surprise and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com cake&rsc=ns2006_m9
Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Wow - the sky is the limit here!!! I will have to send you a Private Message with the sushi cake from a Martha Stewart Living Magazine. It's wonderful! It uses no raw fish so no need to worry about that. It's elegant looking and adventurous too!!!! Look for the PM. Just click on the link titled Private Messages right under your name - or you may have a window pop up telling you you have a private message.

Is this the same one you are talking about
Sushi Cake

I had saved but haven't made it yet. by chance do you have a picture of it made.

Tags
None