Need help with appetizers for teenagers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bacon has universal appeal

I definitely agree. My only input was that maybe it would be more elegant not to wrap things in bacon, not leave it off the menu entirely. The reason I suggested scallops with the pancetta is that when you render the fat from pancetta, a U8-10 scallop fits perfectly onto it, the pancetta acts as a nice platform, if you will.

Bacon wrapped foods certainly can be elegant, but I think more often than not, it's done incorrectly, leaving mental images of Golden Corral rather than Ruth's Chris Steak House. In the case of shrimp, it would be very easy for a home cook to overcook the shrimp while leaving the bacon undercooked. Overcooked shrimp and undercooked bacon is certainly not a combination of textures that I think most people find enjoyable.

Anyways, I read about an app that's popular in Italy, that was originally created to use up leftover risotto. Basically, make your risotto, chill it, then form it into a small ball shape around some cheese or other tasty morsel and deep fry. This leaves a crispy exterior, with a rich creamy risotto interior, and some nice melted cheese or whatever else you put into the middle.

I definitely agree. My only input was that maybe it would be more elegant not to wrap things in bacon, not leave it off the menu entirely. The reason I suggested scallops with the pancetta is that when you render the fat from pancetta, a U8-10 scallop fits perfectly onto it, the pancetta acts as a nice platform, if you will.

Bacon wrapped foods certainly can be elegant, but I think more often than not, it's done incorrectly, leaving mental images of Golden Corral rather than Ruth's Chris Steak House. In the case of shrimp, it would be very easy for a home cook to overcook the shrimp while leaving the bacon undercooked. Overcooked shrimp and undercooked bacon is certainly not a combination of textures that I think most people find enjoyable.

Anyways, I read about an app that's popular in Italy, that was originally created to use up leftover risotto. Basically, make your risotto, chill it, then form it into a small ball shape around some cheese or other tasty morsel and deep fry. This leaves a crispy exterior, with a rich creamy risotto interior, and some nice melted cheese or whatever else you put into the middle.
You're right College Cook, bacon wrapped anything must be done carefully and beautifully and cooked perfectly to be elegant. I love your idea of risotto because it can be done ahead. Just a lovely pan of chilled risotto can be cut into pretty shapes and served with all sorts of lovely sauces or garnishes.

Wow - the sky is the limit here!!! I will have to send you a Private Message with the sushi cake from a Martha Stewart Living Magazine. It's wonderful! It uses no raw fish so no need to worry about that. It's elegant looking and adventurous too!!!! Look for the PM. Just click on the link titled Private Messages right under your name - or you may have a window pop up telling you you have a private message.

Is this the same one you are talking about
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/sushi-cake-1029.html

I had saved but haven't made it yet. by chance do you have a picture of it made.

Back
Top Bottom