"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Master Chef

Need Simple but Yummy Recipes

I'm putting together a recipe collection for my best friend and her daughter to give to them as one of their Christmas gifts.

Please share your simple but yummy recipes so that I can add to my collection:

Old 11-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi SizzlininIN, I saw your post in the baking section too and wasn't sure if you have a specific topic (s) you're looking for. This is a real easy one that calls for basic pantry staples--many years ago when I was living on my own for the first time, I made it A LOT.

Tuscan Chicken Legs with Spinach Fettuccine

1 lb skinless chicken legs (I use skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced)
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 can (14 oz) salt-free chopped tomatoes (with juices)
¼ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried basil
4 c hot cooked spinach fettuccine

Rinse the chicken legs and pat dry with paper towels. Lightly sprinkle with the garlic powder and pepper. Add the oil to a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly brown on all sides.

Stir in the tomatoes (with juices), oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. Serve over the fettuccine.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

mmmmmmmmmm......sounds awfully good PA.....think I'll print this one in triplicate :D

I'm not looking for any particular topic ..... I'm game for a variety of simple - yummy recipes.

I plan to put the recipes in a binder. This way they can try them out and if they don't like them they can remove them. I'll print off other recipes throughout the year so they can add them also. I thought about cookbooks but I know that from my vast collection I may only use a handful out of each so I thought this was more practical. Besides they love gifts that you take the time to make.

I'm also putting together another gift for each of them. I'll purchase a extra large color pyrex bowl....from the 50's.....that will complement their kitchen colors. With this I will include a cookie recipe and all the dry ingredients they will need for the recipe. I will also include an antique cookie cutter, antique measuring cup, antique measuring spoons, antique rolling pin. We all enjoy collecting and using antique kitchenware so they will really love this one.

Thanks for the recipe! :D
Old 11-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

What nice, thoughtful gifts! You're a good friend to take the time to put something like that together!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Head Chef

Check out these posts for recipes that I've posted. There are quite a few of them. Sorry I didn't know how to hyperlink these. If there is anything specific that they really like let me know, because I might have a recipe for it.

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewto...c&start=20

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=3434

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewto...56ddba85c26e61

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=3156

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=2937
Old 11-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
Cook

Send a message via AIM to beaulana2
Chicken Pita's
1 pckg. (10 0z) frozen broccoli florets cooked and drained
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 med. tomato chopped
1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
4 pita breads halved
4 bacon strips cooked and crumbled

In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, chicken, cheese, and tomato. In a small bowl combine the mayo mustard salt and pepper if desired pour over the broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Spoon about 3/4 cup into each pita half top with bacon.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

Check your Private Mail.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I posted this down below awhile back. There are some other good tips for it on the thread. I'll try to post a link for you.
http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=4165

Ranch Snack Mix

1 box oyster crackers
1/4C. vegetable oil
1pkg reach dressing mix
1tsp. dill weed
1tsp. garlic powder

Toss crackers with oil. Combine remaining ingredients & place in a paper bag. Add crackers to dry mix & shake bag to coat well. Spread on baking sheet & bake at 225F for 45 minutes, turning occarionally. Cool & seal in airtight container.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Spicy Bean Dip

1 16-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
1 tomato
1 onion
1 - 2 serrano chilies
1 tsp. hot sauce
4 Tbsp. cilantro
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Combine black beans, garlic, tomato, onion, chilies, hot sauce and cilantro together in a food processor. Blend mixture until smooth and place mixture in a small baking dish, sprinkle with cheese. Heat oven to 350 degrees and warm dip for 10 - 15 minutes. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

Sizz, check out my website also. Please feel free to use anything you see there. There is a link to it in my profile.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:00 AM   #10

Sizzlin: I went overboard in the desserts area when you asked for recipes.. sorry about that.. just kept on typing, even though they weren't all desserts.. lol

Tags
None