"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Prosciutto wrapped melon......

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Doug, I agree with you about the cornbread. And when I saw the menu, I immediately wondered about lamb shanks, or braised anything at this hot and muggy time of year in so much of the US. I realize they are on some restaurant menus year around, but they surely don't fit the season for me.
Not a problem here -- it's one advantage of living by the beach in SoCal where the temperatures and humidity are in the comfortable range pretty much year round.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hermosa Beach at Sunset 1-1-05.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7518  

Old 08-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
...one advantage of living by the beach in SoCal where the temperatures and humidity are in the comfortable range pretty much year round.
Excuse me!!! The coast highway from Santa Monica to Ventura was my dating ground during high school, and begining at sundown you had better have a sweater or jacket... or both! That on-shore breeze can get cool or even cold in a hurry! And that's the reason to go down there in the first place, so you have to snuggle to keep warm!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
i would recommend hummous with pita bread wedges or dried pita chips or crackers,keeping in line with the theme of the dinner.

This is where I was heading too but with the addition of olives or grape tomatos to accompany.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Excuse me!!! The coast highway from Santa Monica to Ventura was my dating ground during high school, and begining at sundown you had better have a sweater or jacket... or both! That on-shore breeze can get cool or even cold in a hurry! And that's the reason to go down there in the first place, so you have to snuggle to keep warm!
...and eat lamb shanks in August!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
hmmmm having spent the month of August in LA some years ago, with the temperature averaging around 103 degrees F. I wouldn't think of lamb shanks. I don't know any chefs who think that is summer food. and I wonder why Americans seem to want to turn all the seasons into one? Asparagus in January and Lamb Shanks in August? It doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
hmmmm having spent the month of August in LA some years ago, with the temperature averaging around 103 degrees F. I wouldn't think of lamb shanks. I don't know any chefs who think that is summer food. and I wonder why Americans seem to want to turn all the seasons into one? Asparagus in January and Lamb Shanks in August? It doesn't make sense to me.
Depends on where you are. Most of SoCal is a desert once you get a few miles inland, often unbearably hot in the summer, but the coast is wonderful year round. As for seasons, I grew up pretty much without them, and I hate cold weather.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #18
Head Chef

You are right about the corn bread, I will eliminate that. I had thought of hummus and will go with that as an appetizer., I think. As for serving the lamb shanks, I don't believe I asked about whether it is appropriate for this time of year. We do have a/c .

Appreciate the suggestions, though.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
We do have a/c .
I had to LOL when I saw this because I thought the same thing. How can you have internet and not be able to afford or have a/c?
He** I even have chili in the summer! You could probably see your breath in the living room and hang meat in my bathroom!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #20
Everymom

I'm chuckling a bit too. Mostly because I'm one of those folks who just cooks and eats what she feels like at the moment. Chili in summer? Why not? Antipasto platter in midwinter? MMMMMMMM!!!

I'm just grateful for the variety of things we can get here year round. I know it wasn't always so.

Tags
None