"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Head Chef

Need something light

I hope someone can give me a hand with this. I have people coming over for dinner on Wednesday. The menu includes braised lamb shanks, couscous and corn bread. I am making a cake for dessert. ( one layer orange yogurt )

What should I serve with drinks before dinner? I think it should be something light, not too filling, and easy to make.

Will appreciate any suggestions.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Master Chef

How about a veggie tray with some dip? I don't see any veggies on the menu for dinner. Some celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, aparagus, tomatoes etc. They can be prepped the day before and just set out for people to much on.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Executive Chef

My guests have liked a diced calamata olive/Mediterranean salad served on radicchio leaves (used like a cracker). It would compliment your lamb.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Everymom

Make a veggie pizza appy. You use the croissant dough by Pillsbury, bake that on a pizza pan. Then smear it with a cream cheese/ranch dip mixture, add all kinds of fresh chopped veggies and serve in little wedges. Fresh, pretty and fast.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Everymom

OOOOOO! Just had another idea for you. Cut grape tomatoes in half, smear a small blob of guacamole on each half and top with a piece of bacon. To die for delicious. And light too.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Since you have two starches in the main course, I second the idea of veggies or fruit. A nice salad or crudites would be great. Maybe with hummus or a bean dip?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Head Chef

i would recommend hummous with pita bread wedges or dried pita chips or crackers,keeping in line with the theme of the dinner.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Head Chef

Having recently seen the moved Julie and Julia, and considering that tomatoes and basil are at their peak this time of year, I would opt for bruschetta:

Bruschetta alla Julie and Julia The Hungry Novelist

Also, I'd reconsider the cornbread -- to me it just doesn't go with couscous, and it gives you an awful lot of very filling carbs. I'd substitute a green veggie, such as asparagus or broccoli or broccolini.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

Just couscous & cornbread? I agree that you need some kind of vegetable or vegetables in your menu. Since your menu (apart from the cornbread (?)) appears Mediterranean, I agree with the bruschetta as an appetizer, but you also might think about making some green beans or perhaps some broiled tomato halves. Either selection tossed or topped with some seasoned dry breadcrumbs, chopped Kalamata olives & feta cheese. Or maybe just a large Greek Salad (romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, red onions, feta cheese, chopped fresh dill, etc.)?

(Just personal preference here, but I'd also rethink the cornbread. If I were you & doing this menu I'd opt for warmed pita or other flatbread.)
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Having recently seen the moved Julie and Julia, and considering that tomatoes and basil are at their peak this time of year, I would opt for bruschetta:

Bruschetta alla Julie and Julia The Hungry Novelist

Also, I'd reconsider the cornbread -- to me it just doesn't go with couscous, and it gives you an awful lot of very filling carbs. I'd substitute a green veggie, such as asparagus or broccoli or broccolini.
Doug, I agree with you about the cornbread. And when I saw the menu, I immediately wondered about lamb shanks, or braised anything at this hot and muggy time of year in so much of the US. I realize they are on some restaurant menus year around, but they surely don't fit the season for me.

Tags
None