"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
Sous Chef
Thanks for all of your suggestions. This is a monthly event, and I'll be trying some of them.

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The next day, plan on riding a few more miles on your bike.
After a dinner of less than healthy appetizers last night, I went on one of my longer routes this morning. I came back home pretty hot and wet, so I rehydrated with an EMB (early morning beer). Coupled with last night's dinner, I probably lost ground on the calorie front, but it sure did taste good!

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #22
Senior Cook
Puff pastry is my best friend in these cases. You can put most anything you have lying around in it, roll it up, bake it, and chill and save.

I like spinach and feta, with a little black pepper and a slice of jalapeno.

You can get puff pastry in the freezer isle of the grocery. and it seems kind of intimidating, at least it did to me, but it is surprisingly easy to work with.

I like to keep some in my freezer in case I'm invited somewhere I have to bring a dish, then I generally fill it with whatever I have at hand, it has led to some interesting choices, in the past, I would suggest, for instance, not mixing sweet and savory unless you have a very good plan behind it.

sourdough isn't a recipe, it is a process.
erehweslefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
Executive Chef
We always have both filo and puff pastry in the freezer. Karen made puff pastry once, not gonna happen again.

If your guests like spicy, make some ABTs. They go great with most any BBQ offerings.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Charcuterie and cheese board pairs well with wines. Add some grapes, canteloupe, sliced apples. Strawberries/blueberries if sparkling wines are being tasted.Easy to transport, easy to serve. What Meat to Choose for a Charcuterie Board - Bon Appétit The Serious Eats Cheese and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet | Serious Eats Wine with Charcuterie - Wine Pairing for different types of foods
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #25
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Charcuterie and cheese board pairs well with wines.
MNNN Cheese board.... I am not allowed by wife to go to the Wegman's cheese counter unsupervised. But heck, we didn't need rent money that week, right? And those evil bastids had the Baley Hazen. It was like they were trying to trap me.

Bayley Hazen Blue — Jasper Hill Farm
sourdough isn't a recipe, it is a process.
erehweslefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #26
Senior Cook
Ever thought about crostini - a simple one would be:

slices of French baguette, toasted and drizzled with a little olive oil
Chopped tomatoes
Small bits of mozzarella
chopped basil
mix together with Pesto alla Genovese

pile this onto the toasted baguette slices

I've always found that these go down a storm!

Love all the other suggestions and will definitely make them, because they're just perfect for serving aperitifs, which are a big thing here in Italy.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #27
Sous Chef
I'm going to have to try that myself. I made a crostini with the bread and olive oil, then put a bit of dark chocolate on top and salted it. Now that was good, but a little too sweet for me.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #28
Senior Cook
Chicken liver crostini

These are perfect for wine tasting. The recipe was given to me by a colleague at the Italian Consulate in Manchester, where I worked for many years before becoming an independent professional interpreter. I was sworn to secrecy, but I reckon that, all these years on, I can share this with all of you.

It's a recipe from Tuscany:

500g fresh chicken livers, finely chopped at the raw stage
150g pig's liver, also finely chopped at the raw stage. If you don't like pig's liver, you can ad 150 extra grams of chicken livers, but I think the pig's liver adds a very good dimension to this dish.
A small bunch of fresh flat-leaved parsley, de-stalked and finely chopped
1/2 tsp flour
3 anchovy fillets,in olive oil
a flat teaspoonful of chopped capers - you can adjust the flavour with more later, when you check the flavor at the end
A little flour
Juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon - whatever you do, make sure it's fresh lemon juice from fresh lemons and not bought lemon juice
Salt is not necessary because the anchovies should provide enough, and the overall flavor should be delicate.

Chop the liver finely and cook over a med. - low heat in plenty of butter together with the parsley.
Add the flour and stir in well
Then add the chicken stock a little at a time, until you have a mix that holds together well
Add the anchovies then, when they've 'melted', check the flavour for seasoning
Leave to cool, then add the lemon juice to taste, and then 2 tsp approximately of capers. Taste again for seasoning

To serve:

Fry finger-food size triangles of ciabatta without the crust in butter until golden and crisp and spread the liver mix on top.

As these are intended to go with wine, be careful to make sure that the flavour of this dish is neither to salty nor too acid, but neither should it be altogether bland.

When you get it right, these will do you proud, as they really are an excellent accompaniment to wine, be it red, white, rosè, even a Sauternes would go well with this, and a good champagne is heaven with these

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Remove the pan from the heat

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote

appetizers, food