Need suggestions for finger food appetizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An Italian favorite, simple but elegant, perhaps a little sexy, and no heating required: Melon balls wrapped in prosciutto. Now I know you have a melon baller stashed in your kitchen junk drawer, way in the back and on the bottom!

prosciutto-wrapped-melon-balls.jpg

A German appetizer favorite is asparagus, cooked crisp tender, and wrapped in Schinkenspeck, dry cured ready to eat thinly sliced ham that slightly resembles bacon.

ham_schinkenspeck.jpg

Last edited:
An Italian favorite, simple but elegant, perhaps a little sexy, and no heating required: Melon balls wrapped in prosciutto. Now I know you have a melon baller stashed in your kitchen junk drawer, way in the back and on the bottom!

prosciutto-wrapped-melon-balls.jpg

A German appetizer favorite is asparagus, cooked crisp tender, and wrapped in Schinkenspeck, dry cured ready to eat thinly sliced ham that slightly resembles bacon.

ham_schinkenspeck.jpg
Is that the one that seems to be first cousins with prosciutto?

Haven't made it recently, but in the past we would cook Ziti like past til done ( ziti sized in length, but a wider hole. Drain and rinse to cool. We'd then stuff them with a mashed potato mixture ( Thick mashed potatoes with butter, salt, pepper, fried onions. ( used you imagination). Placed them on a baking sheet, spray them with pam or something like that. Maybe sprinkle a little S&P on top and bake for like 10 minutes or so.

We served them with a mustard and a cheese dipping sauce.

kinda like mini Blintzes, knishes or tube shaped pierogi.

Dice chicken into inch cubes. Saute in butter and garlic until lightly browned. Place on paper towels to dream. Combine 1/2 cup AP flour with 1/2 cup cornstarch, plus two tsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp, salt. Add 1 egg + 1 cup milk and stir until smooth. Put chicken into the tempura batter, then deep-fry in hot oil until lightly browned. Remove to paper towels to drain. Coat with a glaze of pineapple juice, honey, and a little lime juice, garlic and onion. Put toothpicks into the tempura chicken.

You could also make a spice sauce of tomato, honey, Tabasco-coconut, or whatever hot sauce you prefer and dress the chicken with that. You could even make mini-kabobs by skewering wine-marinated and cooked mushroom caps with the chicken.

And don't forget tempura coconut shrimp.
Another, somewhat classy, somewhat rustic finger food is crayfish nuggets. Crayfish tastes like a cross between lobster and shrimp. But the meat is minute in each mudbug, perfect on a toothpick after sauteing in butter, lime, and garlic

Another idea is to make some stuffing (like Stovetop), a little on the dry side, and form into little stuffing balls. Wrap in prosciutto, or thin-sliced turkey.

If you want something with lots of umami, I have one word, smelt. These little fish are mild, and tasty, and just the right size to be finger food. They aren't like sardines, or canned fish. You simply dredge in flour, fry until done, remove to paper towels to drain, and sprinkle with salt. If you're feeling like going above and beyond, brine the smelt in a salt/brown sugar/onion brine. then either smoke, or broil them until done. Delicious.

Ok, that's all of the ideas I have for right now.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
One of our favorites is Ham roll ups
no measurements I just do it.

lean sliced ham
mix up soften cream cheese along with a little not a lot parsley just enough to see a few speckles of green and then horseradish- not sauce - horseradish - to you get the zippy taste you want.
take the ham and then take a paper towel and pat the ham if it is a little wet, makes it easy to spread the cheese mixture
spread a layer of cheese mixture on the ham don't make it to thin.
then roll up the ham and place it on a plate
When all done put them in the fridge to get cold again. I tend to do the night before then they are surely set.
When ready slice the rolls into about 1 inch pcs.
I like to stand them up so the cut slice in on the side and put a toothpick in them and then place a Green olive or a mini pickle or even a small tomato like a grape or cherry.
They are always a hit. Sorry I have never taken a pic of them.
I have also done them with roast beef but to me that to expensive.
Very easy and simple.

Another one is take trisket brand crackers ,spread soften cream cheese on them
Then mix together a can of well drained salad size baby shrimp with a jar of seafood cocktail sauce and spoon on a little over the cream cheese making sure a shrimp or 2 get on there. I have to make double of these as I eat them before I serve them.

I will also lay down some lettuce on a plate and then put a block of cream cheese on top and take the bottle of cocktail sauce mixed with the baby shrimp and pour it over the block of cheese and place the crackers around it. Place a few serving knives with it.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Sushi IMG]
39817-albums371-picture6055.jpg
[/IMG]

I am duly impressed. Those are gorgeous.

The smelt I spoke of earlier, you just cut the heads off, clean them, frying them up, and eat them bones and all. Of course you can purchase them already dressed and ready for frying, smoking, or baking.

Stuffed, baked potato skins are also always a big hit, especially with ham and cheese.

For something a little off the neaten path, fried chicken skins, golden brown and crispy, and lightly salted are wonderful. You can use them with a soft dip on top. These would go well with a dry, white wine.

I've posted chicken liver pate' and it is great on toast points, or you favorite crackers.

I know I don't use alcohol, but many of you do. I posted a recipe for creamiest fudge earlier tonight. Make the white fudge version, but replace the cream with a suitable wine to flavor it. Make little balls of the fudge and freeze. Cover in tempered dark chocolate. Let warm to room temperature.

If you are looking for cheese, check out theis site - https://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/cheese.asp

I have purchased some excellent cheese from them. Another great cheese shop is located in Fankenuth, Mi. I visited the store one lucky time. They had amazing cheeses. Of course I had to try some 5 year old cheddar, and some 7 year old cheddar that they had at the store. They don't usually have cheese quite that old. It was amazing with the depth of flavor. But for most folks, I wouldn't go beyond the ten or eleven year aged cheddar, if you're going for cheddar. Their other cheeses are fo the very finest quality as well. Here's the site - https://frankenmuthcheesehaus.com/collections/cheese-haus-products

The first site also offer charcuterie as well as hams and cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Stuffed, baked potato skins are also always a big hit, especially with ham and cheese.
Here's a great way to make bite-sized stuffed potatoes for a party. Slice regular potatoes and bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes. Top with pre-cooked bacon and shredded cheese and bake until cheese is melted. Garnish with sliced green onions and sour cream.
Twice-Baked-Potato-Bites-148.jpg

Back
Top Bottom