Need Thanksgiving appetizer ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There would be alot of full martini glasses at this dinner.:LOL:

But I would like to try the gazpaco shrimp myself.:chef:

You can probably find the disposable or reuseable martini (champagne etc.) glasses at a party store or on line - i.e.

Disposable plastic Martini glassses

I use them for desserts (cheesecake in a glass, mini trifles, etc) & appys (ceviche), as well. I like serving individual mini dishes - souffles, in little pkgs like ramekins and such. Good to have around during the holidays & for entertaining. When I get to my recipes, will send 'em along.

Last edited:
To go along with Amy's idea about the glasses, I've found incredibly cheap deals on holiday glasses at places like Home Goods or Ross. I just found a set of 6 Mikasa small flutes (6 oz each I think), with each glass being a different color, for a whopping $3 on clearance! I'm using those for moscato wine after dinner for those of us who imbibe.

:ROFLMAO: Sorry, I meant no one would touch the gezpacho but me.:LOL:

I don't think the guest are too adventurous...if you know what I mean.;)

Gaaaalic, can you post that for me? Can it be served cold? What crab meat do you use?

Chafing Dish Crab Dip

16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce -- or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound crab meat, claw or lump -- drained and flaked
crudites, buttery crackers or melba toast

Combine first three ingredients in top of a double-boiler; cook over simmering water, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients except crab.

Remove from heat; fold in crabmeat. Transfer mixture to a chafing dish. Serve with crudites, buttery crackers or melba toast.

Enjoy :)

When I was young my mother always served a platter of crudites,mixed olives, sardines with saltines and mixed nuts. I never thought that was very good but now I realize my limits on how much I can eat in a day and find that is what I serve (minus the sardines) Then I can enjoy the heavy meal and finish with rich desserts.

Wow, elaine, when _I_ was a little girl, my parents, too, ate sardines on saltines ... with mayo.

Must have been a " '50's in Massachusetts" thing, because I've never seen them eat them in my adulthood.

Lee

I gotta go with elaine. Great ideas for apps given but I don't want to fill up folks before the main feast - not on T-day.

Will put out a simple antipasto, mostly with veggies. Some boiled shrimp perhaps. Maybe a bit of pickled anything. Try to keep down the fats and proteins.

Of course ya gotta get the meal on the table without too much of a delay.

Just my take on it.

Jeekins,
My favorite to serve is Balsalmic Soy glazed chicken wings. I posted it on here a while back I believe in the chicken section. Let me know if you can't find it. Good luck!!!

I also need an appetizer. But please no dairy of sea food products. Some thing that has meat or vegies, or both, please.

Well... prosciutto rolled around melon is an old stand by..

Raw fresh ground beef with onion, serve with a cracker. (make sure you use only the finest ground beef from a reputable butcher, or grind your own).

Use a large straw and hollow out cherry tomatoes. fry up some fine ground hamburger and spice with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne and stuff into the tomatoes...

Cut tomatoes into slices. Dip in flour, then egg wash and flour again and drop into hot oil.. deep fried tomatoes!!!! don't forget to salt as soon as you take them out of the frier.

You can do the same with Cucumber or even dill pickles....

I also need an appetizer. But please no dairy of sea food products. Some thing that has meat or vegies, or both, please.

Hey, Charlie. I've been thinking about this, and I realized that practically all the appetizers I make have seafood or dairy or both :LOL:

But there are a couple of non-dairy dips I like to make, too: guacamole with tortilla chips and hummus with pita chips or this wonderful tomato-sourdough bread I get at a grocery-store bakery here. Another thing I've done is heat up Lil Smokies smoked sausages and serve with a variety of mustards. HTH.

Hey, Charlie. I've been thinking about this, and I realized that practically all the appetizers I make have seafood or dairy or both :LOL:

But there are a couple of non-dairy dips I like to make, too: guacamole with tortilla chips and hummus with pita chips or this wonderful tomato-sourdough bread I get at a grocery-store bakery here. Another thing I've done is heat up Lil Smokies smoked sausages and serve with a variety of mustards. HTH.
glad you mentioned lil' smokies!!

You can also make up a sauce with current jelly and mustard, put in a crock pot with the lil' smokies---very tasty!!!

Charlie, here are a few suggestions:

Caponata (Eggplant dip w pine nuts) & crackers

Rumaki (chicken livers wrapped w bacon on a party pick w a water chestnut)

Stuffed mushrooms:

Fill w couscous, toasted pine nuts, red & green peppers & onions - (finely diced & sauteed) and added to the couscous.

Fill mushrooms w couscous & a slice of pepperoni.

Fill mushrooms w caponata (eggplant mixture) - or hummus

Fill mushrooms w stuffing mix - add in (or top w) cooked crumbled bacon

Pumpkin Dip (Have to look up my recipe, but it may include dairy)

Mini egg rolls w meat/veggie filling

Can you use a non dairy cheese substitute? Not sure how well it will melt though.

Another I like Carpaccio di zucchini:

"Carpaccio di Zucchini"

Maybe you could omit the cheese. Top the baguette, & slice into smaller (about 2") slices, put a halved cherry tomato (or pear tomato) on top & secure w party pick.

Still thinking.

Last edited:
Honey Pear Bruschetta
Makes 50 Canapés

6 firm pears, small diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup honey
2 - 3 cups sugar
2 sprigs rosemary or thyme , minced
2 teaspoons lemon zest
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pound Brie cheese
1 baguette
1 cup toasted, chopped pecans

To make honey-pear preserves,

1. Combine pears, garlic, honey, 2 cups sugar, rosemary and lemon zest in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Adjust sugar and season to taste with freshly ground pepper.

2. Cool and reserve. Can be done in advance and frozen for up to one month.

To assemble canapé

1. Thinly slice baguette into 50 pieces. Toast in 350ºF oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool and reserve.

2. Remove side rind of the Brie, cut into slices 1/8 - 1/4" thick and cut slices into squares. Reserve.

3. Top each slice of bread with a piece of Brie

4. Just before serving, heat in 350ºF oven until warm, about 10 minutes.
Top with 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons honey-pear preserves. Garnish with pecans.

My Notes:

Use sugar accordingly to how sweet the pears are, use all the honey and then taste as you go with the sugar

Use a Little thyme instead of the rosemary and taste as you go with that also.

Due to a lack of burners and available prep area, I'll just be bringing some cold canapes this year, albeit some with hot premade ingredients.

-Corned Beef, Horseradish Mayonnaise, Pickled Umeboshi on Rye Crisp
(too bad I can't get corned duck like Wylie Dufresne, lol)

-Petit Napa Valley Sandwiches (D'artagnan goose liver pate, granny smith apple slice, brie, chopped fig on ciabatta)

-Trout Roe w/dab of creme fraiche and sprinkle of fresh dill on brioche

-Smoked trout and sauerkraut cooked in Cremant D'Alsace on crostini (heated)

I might also try to do some gravlax on little petit rosti. I suppose I can just heat them up in a toaster oven like I would the trout&kraut.

I thought of something else -
Here are some ideas I've made for stuffing spring roll wrappers, but I'm sure you could come up with pretty much any combo:

Ricotta cheese, Salt & Pepper, Nutmeg, basil chiffonade, white tips from green onions (sliced)

Mozzarella, diced green chiles, finely shredded chicken

Chopped fresh cranberries (nuked for 2 min to soften), a bit of sugar, brie

Make these in advance, & make sure to wrap each type into a different shape so you can tell which is which. Cover & refrigerate them for a few hours.
I've deep fried them in a fry daddy, and they take only a few minutes per batch.

It's also nice to make a dipping sauce for each.

Hi Jeekins
Sounds like fun, just dig in with your favorite flavors.
1. Puff pastry wrapped Queen Anne pitted [of course] olives.
2. Plumrose ham slices with egg salad and a pickle spear wrapped inside, then slice into 1" toothpick sized bites
3. cucumber slice with tuna salad dollop on top
4. bisquick cheese balls with chunk of your favorite cheese inside
5. cream cheese with pineapple stuffed celery slices
6. = parts cream cheese, rotel canned tomato/peppers, canned chili con carne, in crock pot, mixed together, tortilla chips for dipping into hot pot

I'm going with Gaaaalic's Crab Dip and that boursin thing Uncle Bob mentioned with those fancy crackers in the black box. The only problem is my chafing dish is huge. I was going to serve it with croutons, should I put them in the dish as well? Maybe a seperate dish for the dip in the center?

how about...

How about wheat thins spread with garlic herb cheese, then some ham (have Kroger to cut it on the number 5 thickness) topped with some gray poupon. I don't know how original that is, but I just now thought it up and am going do it myself for an thanksgiving appetizer! :chef:

Due to a lack of burners and available prep area, I'll just be bringing some cold canapes this year, albeit some with hot premade ingredients.

-Corned Beef, Horseradish Mayonnaise, Pickled Umeboshi on Rye Crisp
(too bad I can't get corned duck like Wylie Dufresne, lol)

-Petit Napa Valley Sandwiches (D'artagnan goose liver pate, granny smith apple slice, brie, chopped fig on ciabatta)

-Trout Roe w/dab of creme fraiche and sprinkle of fresh dill on brioche

-Smoked trout and sauerkraut cooked in Cremant D'Alsace on crostini (heated)

I might also try to do some gravlax on little petit rosti. I suppose I can just heat them up in a toaster oven like I would the trout&kraut.

"JUST" be bringing some cold canapes????!!! :LOL: Geez, Brazen, I don't know what some of the stuff IS, but I want to go where YOU'RE going!

Have a great one!

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom