Need Thanksgiving appetizer ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ooooooooh, I love boursin!!!

Here's a quickie you could do with just about any flavor combo, and you could pre-cut the cukes and pre-make the stuffing the day before. On party day, you'd just assemble.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/stuffed-cucumber-appetizers-39472.html
Jkath--I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful stuffed cucumber recipe. As per your suggestion I put some chopped tomato on top and it looked so pretty next to the other veggies on the appetizer tray. It was a big hit. Thanks again!:rolleyes:

Chafing Dish Crab Dip

16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce -- or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound crab meat, claw or lump -- drained and flaked
crudites, buttery crackers or melba toast

Combine first three ingredients in top of a double-boiler; cook over simmering water, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients except crab.

Remove from heat; fold in crabmeat. Transfer mixture to a chafing dish. Serve with crudites, buttery crackers or melba toast.

Enjoy :)

Everyone loved the Boursin & Crab Dip.:chef: I did have to modify the recipe though. I first made it exactly as it's written, but found it to be super creamy. I had triple the amount of salt, Worst. hot sauce and even added some pepper. Still too creamy, so I added another pound of crab meat and another tablespoon of onion. The flavor was pretty good at that point, but by the time I served it, it was a tad liquidy. I sliced a baguette on the bias and toasted them in the oven. I put a layer of the dip in my chafing dish, sprinkled some cihve on top, then placed the croutons off to one side.

Last edited:
"JUST" be bringing some cold canapes????!!! :LOL: Geez, Brazen, I don't know what some of the stuff IS, but I want to go where YOU'RE going!

Have a great one!

Lee

I ended up having to make some substitutions, as apparently Balducci's doesn't stock a lot of the stuff I was looking for.

They had neither trout roe nor smoked trout, so I had to substitute salmon roe and smoked sable respectively. The sable was delicious, I'd never had it before.

They were also out of brioche, so I ended up using toasted challah, which was okay.

All in all it was very good. I have lots of tasty leftovers as I ended up mistakenly buying way too much of several ingredients, (roe, smoked fish, corned beef)

Everyone loved the Boursin & Crab Dip.:chef: I did have to modify the recipe though. I first made it exactly as it's written, but found it to be super creamy. I had triple the amount of salt, Worst. hot sauce and even added some pepper. Still too creamy, so I added another pound of crab meat and another tablespoon of onion. The flavor was pretty good at that point, but by the time I served it, it was a tad liquidy. I sliced a baguette on the bias and toasted them in the oven. I put a layer of the dip in my chafing dish, sprinkled some cihve on top, then placed the croutons off to one side.

Hey, Jeekinz. I'm glad you all enjoyed it, but I'm sorry the recipe didn't work out quite right :( My mom made the same thing and it came out just the way I like it - creamy and "crabby." ;) Some of the others thought it needed more zing, though, so Mom added some Old Bay crab seasoning (maybe a teaspoon or so), which isn't one of my favorite flavors, but it was still good.

Back
Top Bottom