"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Head Chef
Need the best appetizer ever!

I have a get together coming up. The request is to bring an appetizer.

My wish:

Something amazing
Not a dip
Nothing that requires it to have heat (two hour drive)
Prefer finger type
Shrimp cocktail no

Any thoughts?

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef
a truly fine hunk of cheese and a baguette is about as good as it gets. (Stilton, ripe Brie, whatever) add some wonderful herbed olives and a pate and you've got it. Or go for a fine anti pasti with all the elements...pickeled veggies, cheese, hard and softer salamis.

The drive allows the meats and cheeses the get near room temp before serving. Nothing gets soggy or spilled.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Head Chef
If you can find the mini phyllo dough cups, here's a bunch of yummy ideas:

Athens Foods | Phyllo Dough Products and Phyllo Dough Recipes

(Scroll down to the mozzarella, tomato, basil & cucumber. I think the red/green colors would be festive as well as tasty.)

Crab Rangoon

Spinach & Feta turnovers

Shrimp & Prosciutto in Phyllo dough:
Athens Foods | Phyllo Dough Products and Phyllo Dough Recipes

There's another recipe I have for shrimp wrapped in a won ton wrapper. (The head & tail is sticking out - if that makes sense, lol. Let me know, & I'll check my recipes.)

Cheese-filled toasted ravioli w a salsa(?) dipping sauce.

Hard boiled eggs filled with guacamole. Top w cooked crumbled bacon, in keeping w a red/green look. (Save the cooked yolk for another use).

Smoked Salmon Mousse in Cucumber Cups. (Crab or shrimp salad works well too.):

More of a dessert appy, (still looking for my recipe)...
Chocolate shells/cups (you may find in the baking section of the market), filled w egg nog. (Trying to remember if they are then chilled/frozen.)

Still thinking.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Head Chef
I was also thinking antipasto.

And that can mean almost anything one can find. One Christmas no one wanted any dinner after they feasted on an extensive antipast. I never made that mistake again.

Alternatively a Spanish tortilla, and there are many things one can add to one, or its Italian sister, a frittata, cut into bite sixe peices goes well served at room temp.

A spanakopita cut into small cubes would work. Is fine cold. Surround the cubes with dolmades.

Smoked salmon or gravlox always works.

Could make a pate, try your hand at sushi, or just make some wonderful finger sandwiches. Small little sandwiches, although typically from the fifties, always work well if you become imaginative.

Just a couple of ideas. Hope they help.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Master Chef
If you like shrimp, this will be a hit. I get asked to bring this to parties all the time. The nice thing is that it transports well and you only have to keep the shrimp cold.

Tangy Thai Shrimp Skewers
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Don't know how you feel about a fruit appetiser but found this in a search for something else, and it just sounded nice and refreshing and presentation sounds like it would be impressive. Unless you have a lot of time, it wouldn't be good for a huge group but for up to a dozen, I think it would be managable.

Vintage Recipes: Apple Ball Cocktail

And if it doesn't appeal, have a look at this site as it has some very old fashioned dishes that could impress just because they aren't common.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef
Another suggestion is choux pastry balls filled with a crab or lobster mousse or filling of your choice. Very simple but very tasty.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
This is more of a spread. I have a recipe for a wonderful apple/raisin chutney. I served it over a brick of cream cheese with crackers - could also use toasted baguette slices. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll post it tonight.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Stuffed mushrooms.
There are a million different ideas to pick from!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
I was also thinking antipasto.
Auntdot, I'm curious what you mean when you say antipasto because it couldn't mean what I know antipasto to be. If it was, it's wouldn't be an appetizer that is a finger food.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote