Nuts and Bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK Dina...here it is.

Fill a roaster with, chex, crispix, shreddies, pretzels, nuts of any type you like, cheerios, bugles...whatever turns your crank.

1/4 cup oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (BIG tbsp!)

Melt these together, being careful not to over heat!

1 tbsp each:

seasoning salt
garlic powder
onion powder
celery salt

Pour oil mixture over your nuts and bolts, stirring with your hands. When all are well coated sprinkle sesoning mixture over all. Keep stirring! Bake at 250 for 2 hours or so. Stir every 15 minutes.

You're the best, Alix. Thanks again, my friend. I can't wait to try these too. Seems like most of my home meals lately are from "Alix's recipes"....LOL. I'm serious! I made that amazing tangy chicken too many times now and your shrimp bisque was absolutely awsome! Not to mention your brownies for Justin....heeheehee....he loves you already for that.

Dina :D

Goes both ways Dina. Your wine chicken is a fan favourite here as are your wonderful buttermilk biscuits!

Alix that Nuts 'N Bolts sounds just like my mommies....she used to make a really mean batch but then she switched recipes...took her forever to switch back...thanks for posting

I made this last year, and am ready to make it again. The spices and quantities that Alix used worked perfectly for me.

This year, in addition to multi grain Chex type cereal mix and mini pretzels, I'm adding honey roasted peanuts, raisins, and craisins.

Thanks again, Alix for a great recipe! I found it a great evening snack that I don't need to feel guilty about.:chef:

Glad to help out. I found some Bugles this year and I'm going to add them in to my regular batch of stuff. I love those things!

I've always wanted to try making my own.
Do they need to be spread in a single layer, Alix?

Not at all. I do mine in my turkey roaster. I fill it right up. I use a box of Crispix, Chex, Cheerios, a can of peanuts, a bunch of hazelnuts, pretzels, and sometimes mini shredded wheat and bugles. Mmmmmm! Can't wait to get going on these.

PS, sorry it took me so long to answer, I got booted off the work computer and have only just now logged on to my own.

Cool. If they don't need to be a single layer I should be able to make these in my CI DO. I don't have a roaster. I love these trail mix type of snacks.

OK Dina...here it is.

Fill a roaster with, chex, crispix, shreddies, pretzels, nuts of any type you like, cheerios, bugles...whatever turns your crank.

1/4 cup oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (BIG tbsp!)

Melt these together, being careful not to over heat!

1 tbsp each:

seasoning salt
garlic powder
onion powder
celery salt

Pour oil mixture over your nuts and bolts, stirring with your hands. When all are well coated sprinkle sesoning mixture over all. Keep stirring! Bake at 250 for 2 hours or so. Stir every 15 minutes.
My mom always added popcorn and used dry ranch dressing. This was in a big glass jar on top of the fridge...

Cool. If they don't need to be a single layer I should be able to make these in my CI DO. I don't have a roaster. I love these trail mix type of snacks.

If your CI DO is the same size as mine, you will get 1 1/2 batches out of that seasoning mix.

Mine are in the oven right now. I modified a bit:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup oil
2-3 tbsp worcestershire

Seasoning mix was the same.

I did:
cheerios (half box)
spanish peanuts (2 cups)
regular peanuts (3 cups)
almonds (3 cups)
rice chex (half box)
crispix (whole box)
bugles (half bag)
pretzels (2 cups or so)

Its baking now and smells delicious. I suspect this batch won't make it out of the house.

My batch is still on the shelves of Walmart :D
From what I've seen (I don't buy much bagged snack food), their prices are a lot better that the regular grocery stores. Throwback or something they call it? And I know their cereal prices are. Next trip to Walmart people will think I'm a snacking fool :LOL: Maybe I'll buy some variety packs for the snack's part so I don't have a bunch of half bags laying around.

You could do the whole bag, I just wanted to save some for the next batch. I make at LEAST two batches of this stuff every year. I KNOW I don't put crack in it, but the stuff is as addictive as any street drug I swear!

I could do the whole bag? So it has a pretty good shelf life? Longer than the original products?
And I know I could probably blow through 3 lbs of this stuff in a week, I just don't want to, lol.

It has a longer shelf life. I put it in tins and hide it at the back of the cupboard. Lost one til summer once! It was a great treat. Here's mine just coming out of the oven.

Attachments

• nutsnbolts.jpg
    nutsnbolts.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 362
Super! I love a long shelf life.
Along with all the snack foods I better pick up some more tupperware ;^)

Looks like a good mixture there for sure.

Super! I love a long shelf life.
Along with all the snack foods I better pick up some more tupperware ;^)

Looks like a good mixture there for sure.

I just pour into gallon zip baggies. It keeps perfectly.

Alix. I commend you for not changing the seasoning. It's just perfect the way it is.

Last edited:
Thanks Zhizara, I agree. I felt like I needed more stuff for the seasoning to stick to though. I didn't add great bunches, but it helped to make everything even. I've had clumps of very salty bits from time to time, and this year everything is pretty even so far. Batch #2 is on the stove waiting for me to go get more onion powder. *forehead slap*

Because I'm such an idiot, I didn't have the seasonings. I added corn chips and pop corn. I used Planters Party mix peanuts and cashews. My seasonings are chilpolte chili, cumin, parsley,onion powder, dried Meyer lemon peel (ground to a powder) and a few dashes of hot sauce. Everything is in the roaster...we'll see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom