"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
Sous Chef

White nectarines do taste different, not radically different but still different. I prefer them to the regular yellow fleshed ones.

Not only does the prosciutto go well with them raw but they go really well in a salad. Last summer I had leftover prosciutto and white necatines, and inspired by a fig, prosciutto, mozarella and basil salad I had I decided to create my own.

Cut a chicken breast into large bite-sized pieces, smeared the lightly with some finely minced basil and ev-oo, wrapped them in prosciutto and baked until done and the prosciutto was fairly crispy.

Halve and stone some white nectarines, slice each necatine into eighths. Toss some mixed greens (I think I used baby spinach, rocket and a few others) in a dressing made of ev-oo, honey, lemon juice, salt and a decent amount of freshly cracked black pepper. Whack the greens on a plate, add your sliced nectarines, some torn bocconcini or fresh mozarella, the chicken pieces and some extra basil leaves.

It was fantastic.

Ooh ooh don't forget about a sandwich/roll (of your choice, I like mine on turkish bread) of prosciutto, basil, mozarella, semi-dried tomatoes with rocket with a dressing of _good_ balsamic vinegar and ev-oo. Just prosciutto and fontina go really well on a sanwich as well.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
By the time I was done reading your post I was almost drooling - the salad sounds divine! Thank-you for your tips and delicious recipes

P.S.
Bocconcini are soooo adorable - and versitile.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
These are two favorites:

Proscuitto-Wrapped Asparagus W/Goat Cheese

1 clove garlic
1 TBS chopped chives
3 tsp red-wine vinegar
TBS Dijon mustard

Spread piece of prosciutto with goat cheese, then cut in half and wrap 3-5 pieces of blanched asparagus (depending on size) with the piece of prosciutto. Place in a single layer on a plate and pour sauce over proscuitto and serve.

Brochettes of Melon, Prosciutto, and Water-Packed Mozzarella

1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves plus sprigs for garnish
1 medium shallot, quartered

1 small (about 2-pound) cantaloupe, halved crosswise, seeded, cut into 6 wedges, peeled
6 small fresh water-packed mozzarella balls or one 8-ounce ball, * drained
6 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise, gathered into ruffle
6 8-inch wooden skewers

Using on/off turns; puree olive oil, 1/3 cup basil, and shallot in processor until basil and shallot are finely chopped.

Cut each cantaloupe wedge crosswise in half. If using large mozzarella ball, trim and cut into 6 cubes. Alternate 1 melon piece, 1 piece ruffled prosciutto, 1 mozzarella ball or cube, 1 more prosciutto piece, and 1 more melon piece on each skewer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 15 minutes before serving.)

Arrange skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper. Garnish with basil sprigs.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None